BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #89
OzJustin
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Excellent roadtrip story! Thanks for sharing

It really felt like we were along for the ride with you. You did an amazing job on the photos & narration.
      03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #90
L4ces
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
What a great read. Like others have said, the narration and pics were outstanding and most of all inspiring. Reminds me that amid all of the hardworking, we have to make time for things like this for ourselves.
L4ces is offline   United_States
      03-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #91
bughunter

Drives: 2013 M3 (Manual, Melb Red)

Great pictures.
Best read-trip report in a long time.
Thanks for sharing.
bughunter is offline   United_States
      03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #92
Guardian
Private

Drives: 135is, AW/Coral Red #190/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
That’s it. Another great American road trip! I’m planning the Acadia National Park run for next October so I can do the leaf peeping for reals. And maybe on the way back, I’ll hit up the Dragon.

Road Trips FTW! I hope this inspires you 1M owners out there to take your girls for a ride. The entire time I was driving, I just couldn’t shake the feeling of absolute contentment with this car. Every mile was pure driving pleasure. An amazing car. The ultimate driving machine indeed.
Absolutely amazing photos and a fantastic trip. I live only an hour from the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I drive up that way on a monthly basis to make drives through the mountains...it really is just so much fun. If you make the trip again through Virginia, try driving US 33 from Elkton to Ruckersville, its right off of Skyline Drive. It's posted 55 and as twisty as the Parkway, so it is a blast to drive.

The photos are so clear and sharp...what camera were you using?
Guardian is offline   United_States
      03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #93
Aventador97
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Mustang Cobra and Mustang V6

Fantastic documentation of the drive. I love the photos, thanks for uploading this. I hope to do a similar trip soon.
      03-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #94
Novator
Captain

Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.00]
Thanks for posting this, this was a very inspiring road trip and I hope to do so with my E46 M3 sometime around summer/fall after settling in to my next duty station in Beaufort, SC.
      03-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #95
drFUNK
Private

Drives: 135is LMB 6MT

Wow, epic thread! Definitely has given me some ideas for summer road trips - just might have to visit some relatives in Tennessee and take the long route...

Thanks for the heads up on US 501 in VA too. I'm a few hours away so I'll definitely hit that this summer!
drFUNK is offline   United_States
      03-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #96
sergeremi
Lieutenant

Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
... If you make the trip again through Virginia, try driving US 33 from Elkton to Ruckersville, its right off of Skyline Drive. It's posted 55 and as twisty as the Parkway, so it is a blast to drive.

The photos are so clear and sharp...what camera were you using?
Hey thanks for the suggestion, i'll make sure it's on the list when i'm up that way again.

The camera I used was a Panasonic Lumix ZS15. Pretty nifty pocket camera, perfect for traveling and needing something better than using your phone.
      03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #97
1triple5
Private

Drives: Black Sapphire Metallic 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Wow, I'm speechless. Amazing write-up of your trip with breath taking pictures of the most beautiful car in the second nicest color. Sorry but that VO is on another level :P Looks like you had a great time. Definitely inspired me to take my 135i on a road trip. Maybe not a cross-country one but a road trip nonetheless.
      03-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #98
leewoods18
Private First Class

Drives: F10 550 M sport

What a great read. As others have stated, I felt I was along for the ride. I applaud you for the effort, insight, intelligence, and caring to live life-- this is an inspiration to many to literally stop and smell the roses.

Passion for automobiles is why these forums exist--what a tribute! Thank you for taking us on this ride.
      03-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #99
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal

Drives: an 1M not often enough

What an awesome and particularly selfless way to get all of us dreaming about a great way to enjoy our drivers car. Would love to do this, and perhaps add a track driving event along the way

Not many take the time to stop and take pictures worth sharing. THX!!
      03-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #100
lowell_b
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 E70 X5

We need more road trip posts like this. Great photos! I bet you wished there was more sun than fog and clouds lol but that made for awesome photos. Thanks for sharing
      03-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #101
135Pats
The time has come.

Drives: 135i

That was easily one of the best photo threads I've come across since joining this forum, it's obvious how much you enjoyed this trip OP. Seeing those pictures really makes me yearn for North Carolina, I just love everything about that state. It's so different than DC in so many good ways....sigh.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586R/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      03-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #102
ChrisBuer
Captain

Drives: BMW

Fantastic thread and I'm going to bookmark this and read it properly when I'm home from work.

However one question, how do you get the sat nav map to give you this "3d style" layout? Does it do it automatically or is it a setting in the options?

ChrisBuer is offline   United Kingdom
      03-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #103
champ306

Drives: 08 335xi

Its been said before, but really man, that was awesome!
      03-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #104
Guardian
Private

Drives: 135is, AW/Coral Red #190/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Fantastic thread and I'm going to bookmark this and read it properly when I'm home from work.

However one question, how do you get the sat nav map to give you this "3d style" layout? Does it do it automatically or is it a setting in the options?

It is easily switchable in the map screen itself. Move over to the options line (on the left in the picture). In LHD its a push of the iDrive controller once to the left, but not sure about RHD, but I guess the same. One up from the bottom is the "perspective" option, and just select it; 3D is there.
Guardian is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #105
sergeremi
Lieutenant

Yep, Guardian got it!

Thanks again guys! I'm expecting to see more road trip photo threads! I'm hoping to see a few from the PCH... until I can take a road trip out there
      03-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #106
uberschnell
Brigadier General

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Sorry, but
Attached Images

- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is offline   No_Country
      03-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #107
Artemis
Brigadier General

Drives: 1M (VO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Sorry, but
Johnny Weismuller is still alive.

03-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #108
sergeremi
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Sorry, but
Yeah, lol... That was pretty much my reaction too. There's a wax museum over there and I guess that's a way to grab people's attention. The thing is swinging back and forth. It's weird.
      08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #109
micma18
Registered

Drives: Suzuki Swift

Thumbs up Re:

Very nice pictures! It really makes me want to come to the US, and try out some of your roads. 
I really enjoy driving in the mountains, and have been all over Europe: Sweden, Norway, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Monaco and probably some other places as well. The Alps really has some of the coolest mountain passes I have ever driven on.

In two weeks I am going to Norway, and especially looking forward to drive on Trollstigen, Geiranger, Aursjoevegen (unpaved toll road) and Sognefjorden.
And next time, if I survive… might be to the US, what roads do you recommend over there?
micma18 is offline   Denmark
      08-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #110
sergeremi
Lieutenant

I would LOVE to take my 1M on European road trip. I mean I would do bad things to get a chance to carve up those amazing roads!

The U.S. is huge and has tons of great roads that I've barely begun to explore. But without a doubt, if you have one shot to drive a road here, I'd recommend the Pacific Coast Highway up and down the coast of California. Second would be the Blue Ridge Parkway then up through Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire during the fall when the leaves are changing. Both, for me right now, the best drives there are in the U.S.