BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
MrBlonde
0
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!
 
MrBlonde's Avatar
 
Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,662
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
I hate that sort of intermittent annoying fault.
__________________
.-=[ Kenny ]=-. 1999 BMW M Coupe 10.775 @ 134.35 mph w/1.600 60' (Best 136.07 mph) 25th August 2004. +2010 X5 35D+

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
MrBlonde is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
gtappers
0
Private
 
gtappers's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

I had my front wheel bearings replaced in Oct at 44k because they were obviously shot, and making plenty of noise. Cost to do the bearings (including bearing parts and associated labour) by Greg at Peter Mabey in Crows Nest was $1370 ex GST, and was done at the same time as a minor service. (Minor service cost not included here.)

A much better result now!
gtappers is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
Eddie135
0
N55 Commando
 
Eddie135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
That sounds like my issue as well. I get it washed every 2 weeks. Interesting that they can just grease the bearings. Sounds like I need to talk to Advan.

Byron
Just dropped my car off at the stealership today.

Will let you guys know what is the cause of that clicking sound when you turning your steering wheel.
Eddie135 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Just dropped my car off at the stealership today.

Will let you guys know what is the cause of that clicking sound when you turning your steering wheel.
Please do.

My thinking is that if it was wheel bearings you'd get noise all the time and at speed, not just cornering. That makes sense to me.

I agree with MrBlonde it's bleeping annoying.

Byron
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
Eddie135
0
N55 Commando
 
Eddie135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Please do.

My thinking is that if it was wheel bearings you'd get noise all the time and at speed, not just cornering. That makes sense to me.

I agree with MrBlonde it's bleeping annoying.

Byron
The frustrating part is: the clicking sound only happens when turning your steering.

Luckily car is still under warranty, I told then if it needs replacement just replace the faulty part. I do not want to come back again with the same issue.
Eddie135 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
Linwe
0
Private
 
Drives: 07 120i E87
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappers View Post
I had my front wheel bearings replaced in Oct at 44k because they were obviously shot, and making plenty of noise. Cost to do the bearings (including bearing parts and associated labour) by Greg at Peter Mabey in Crows Nest was $1370 ex GST, and was done at the same time as a minor service. (Minor service cost not included here.)

A much better result now!

Holy crap! I'm getting my bearings done on Monday and it's going to cost me about $350 parts + $99 for an hour's labour. Does bearings for a 135i cost THAT much more?
Linwe is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
quasio
0
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

yeh i've had this issue too.. its wierd as hell.. normally front left wheel, only when turning right.

Took it to my mechanic, they took the wheel off, saw no issues, put it back on, and it dissapeared..

Recently i did a brake sensor check, where i took the wheel off and put it back on.. now its reappeared..

also many threads talking about this clicking issue, haven't seen any definitive answers, no one knows what it is. Some are thinking its the brake pad moving and ticking.. some are thinking its the brake shield..

Either way would love to know what it is, or just keep taking the wheel on and off, and leave it when the ticking stops lol.
quasio is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #30
gtappers
0
Private
 
gtappers's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
Holy crap! I'm getting my bearings done on Monday and it's going to cost me about $350 parts + $99 for an hour's labour. Does bearings for a 135i cost THAT much more?
Slightly OT....

Well, this place isn't a stealership and is known for straight-shooting and had been honest and up-front on previous topics. So I don't think I got ripped off and other service aspects I've compared appear to be on-track.

The bearings alone were $542 each, and of course there's two of them, plus there's $231 in labour because there's quite a bit to gain access and then 8 bolts at $6 each. At least.. that's what my invoice says! :-)

Back on topic...

I do previous remember hearing clicking of some minor sort when reversing in hard lock into my car space, but nothing significant. I thought it might be a little bit of rub on the (OEM) tyres under full lock. Either way, I paid closer attention tonight and it did NOT happen so maybe it was the bearings... or maybe not. I haven't had anything significant done since that service, but it does seem like the 1-series click mystery continues.
gtappers is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
Eddie135
0
N55 Commando
 
Eddie135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Got my car back from the Stealership, they cannot fault the clicking noise.

They took my front wheels off, pull my front suspension apart and cannot find the cause of the clicking nosie.

This is frustrating, left my car with them the whole day and they did nothing to solve the clicking noise
Eddie135 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #32
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappers View Post
Slightly OT....

The bearings alone were $542 each, and of course there's two of them, plus there's $231 in labour because there's quite a bit to gain access and then 8 bolts at $6 each. At least.. that's what my invoice says! :-)
WOW! They are awfully expensive!

B
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Got my car back from the Stealership, they cannot fault the clicking noise.

They took my front wheels off, pull my front suspension apart and cannot find the cause of the clicking nosie.

This is frustrating, left my car with them the whole day and they did nothing to solve the clicking noise
This is kind of what I thought might happen. Pete (from Advan) and I had a look at mine and there is nothing obviously wrong. I still wonder if that there is some movement between the disk hat and wheel. Hence why it only occurs when cornering.

B
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
racer_x
0
Second Lieutenant
 
racer_x's Avatar
 
Drives: When He Has To
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

I had an issue like that with my MX-5 once. Wheel bearing was on it's way out and would click at certain steering angles under brakes.
racer_x is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
I had an issue like that with my MX-5 once. Wheel bearing was on it's way out and would click at certain steering angles under brakes.
My discussion and thinking is that the wheel bearing would make noise similar to what you found. Mine only occurs when turning and at no other time.

If it is bearings then it's a bit poor to have them fail after 40k. My land rover discovery was more reliable and it went through a lot of water, sand, deserts rather than the CBD.

B
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
Linwe
0
Private
 
Drives: 07 120i E87
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Mine makes a slightly different noise to yours but it 'clunks' when turning so its in the shop now! Also getting caliper springs done too. Maybe it's too cheap a fault for the stealership to find...
Linwe is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
racer_x
0
Second Lieutenant
 
racer_x's Avatar
 
Drives: When He Has To
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

Agree. 40,000 kms is way too early for wheel bearing issues. This is probably why the dealer has not been able to diagnose it yet. My 5 was at 185,000 kms when the noise started and I drive that car like I stole it.

Possibly something in the wheel hub or brake rotor assembly not torqued correctly? I am just clutching at straws though.
racer_x is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #38
Eddie135
0
N55 Commando
 
Eddie135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Need to get to the bottom of this clicking noise.

Stealership blamed on washing car too often whereby water spray too much at the wheels might be the caused.

so Verdict is not to wash car to too often? B** s***
Eddie135 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #39
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Need to get to the bottom of this clicking noise.

Stealership blamed on washing car too often whereby water spray too much at the wheels might be the caused.

so Verdict is not to wash car to too often? B** s***
It's bullshit!. I agree.

Byron
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #40
choppedliver
0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

I swapped my wheels over this week and voila the noise is gone! So it's not suspension!

B
choppedliver is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST