BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

135i dct - possible to burnout [warm up] the tires

without using the second launch control option?

i know there are two types of launch control in our cars
one is the burn out, the other is the launch control.

im going to hit a local drag strip soon, and wanted to know if i can burnout using the brake + gas.

brake the front wheels and do a slow, low rpm burnout to moderate the wheel spin

is that ok for our cars?
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post

i know there are two types of launch control in our cars
one is the burn out, the other is the launch control.
Do you mean the actual launch control and when you floor it from a standstill with TC fully off?
Like the start of this

I've tried doing that then getting on the brake and it doesn't work, it cuts the throttle.

I'd like to find a way as well. I know some M3 guys managed to reprogram the DCT so you could do a burnout.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538284
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

hi nugget

there are two types of launch control in our 135i

1 is with dct fully off
2 is with one press on dct and checkered flag in the dash.

i dont want to use them when warming up the tires, i just want to do a slow moderate burnout to not overdo the tires
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba
hi nugget

there are two types of launch control in our 135i

1 is with dct fully off
2 is with one press on dct and checkered flag in the dash.

i dont want to use them when warming up the tires, i just want to do a slow moderate burnout to not overdo the tires
How do you get checkered flag? And how did the guy do that in the video. I need this start for autocross!
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
How do you get checkered flag? And how did the guy do that in the video. I need this start for autocross!
To take off like in the video you have to have traction control fully off, gearbox in S or manual, be at a stop, then just floor the accelerator. It will quickly rev up to about 4500 rpm then dump the clutch. This is good for smoky take offs.

To get proper launch control (checkered flag), you need to have DTC on, be in S or manual, have the sport button pressed and the engine has to have reached a certain temperature. Then one foot on the brake, one on the accelerator and it will rev up to around 3000 rpm and sit there until you take your foot off the brake. This is a bit useless, and you never know if it's going to work or not.

Would love to just be able to do a normal burnout.
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
To take off like in the video you have to have traction control fully off, gearbox in S or manual, be at a stop, then just floor the accelerator. It will quickly rev up to about 4500 rpm then dump the clutch. This is good for smoky take offs.

To get proper launch control (checkered flag), you need to have DTC on, be in S or manual, have the sport button pressed and the engine has to have reached a certain temperature. Then one foot on the brake, one on the accelerator and it will rev up to around 3000 rpm and sit there until you take your foot off the brake. This is a bit useless, and you never know if it's going to work or not.

Would love to just be able to do a normal burnout.
yeah ive tried the second method and it is useless...it doesn't do anything.
gotta try the traction off one...pretty cool that it actually revs and then launches.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
Braap
Private First Class
 
Drives: AW 2013 135is
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 114
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
To take off like in the video you have to have traction control fully off, gearbox in S or manual, be at a stop, then just floor the accelerator. It will quickly rev up to about 4500 rpm then dump the clutch. This is good for smoky take offs.

To get proper launch control (checkered flag), you need to have DTC on, be in S or manual, have the sport button pressed and the engine has to have reached a certain temperature. Then one foot on the brake, one on the accelerator and it will rev up to around 3000 rpm and sit there until you take your foot off the brake. This is a bit useless, and you never know if it's going to work or not.

Would love to just be able to do a normal burnout.
yeah ive tried the second method and it is useless...it doesn't do anything.
gotta try the traction off one...pretty cool that it actually revs and then launches.
Stupid question...but how the F do you use launch control with the dct?
__________________
e82 135is - Mine
e89 sDrive28i - Wife's
F10 535i - Sold
e30 325is - Sold and very much missed
Braap is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

easy

1. make sure you have driven atleat 10 km [it wont allow it for less]
2. come to a stop and press the brake during all of the next
3. press the DTC button ONCE
4. press the SPORT button
5. move the gearstick to S\M
6. WHILE PRESSING THE BRAKE - hit the gas pedal to the max! [make sure to push the kickdown switch under the pedal]

you will see the checkered flag on ya dash, and revs will stand at ~3700 rpm
when you feel ready, just leave the brake pedal and get ready to rumble

to do a burnout you just press the DTC for 10+ seconds
press the sport button
move the gear to M1
hit the gas
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Braap
Private First Class
 
Drives: AW 2013 135is
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 114
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
easy

1. make sure you have driven atleat 10 km [it wont allow it for less]
2. come to a stop and press the brake during all of the next
3. press the DTC button ONCE
4. press the SPORT button
5. move the gearstick to S\M
6. WHILE PRESSING THE BRAKE - hit the gas pedal to the max! [make sure to push the kickdown switch under the pedal]

you will see the checkered flag on ya dash, and revs will stand at ~3700 rpm
when you feel ready, just leave the brake pedal and get ready to rumble

to do a burnout you just press the DTC for 10+ seconds
press the sport button
move the gear to M1
hit the gas


Awesome!!! Thanks! Will be giving this a try asap!
Braap is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

np
just first try it on a less grippy tarmac, the transmission do gets a hit by this
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
GeeRam
Captain
 
GeeRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK

Posts: 837
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Do you mean the actual launch control and when you floor it from a standstill with TC fully off?
Like the start of this

I've tried doing that then getting on the brake and it doesn't work, it cuts the throttle.

I'd like to find a way as well. I know some M3 guys managed to reprogram the DCT so you could do a burnout.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538284
What exhaust has that guy got fitted to his 135 in that video....?

Sounds
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
GeeRam is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
What exhaust has that guy got fitted to his 135 in that video....?

Sounds
That's actually me.
Completely stock exhaust, I tape a lapel mic to the diffuser and run the cable through the car to the camera. That's why the exhaust sounds good because the mic is right next to it
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
GeeRam
Captain
 
GeeRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK

Posts: 837
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That's actually me.
Completely stock exhaust, I tape a lapel mic to the diffuser and run the cable through the car to the camera. That's why the exhaust sounds good because the mic is right next to it


I wonder what mine would sound like then with my BMWPE with a lapel mike strapped to the diffuser
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
GeeRam is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

by the way, another question

on the DCT trans, is there a way to hit the limiter in manual mode without it shifting to the next gear?
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Nope
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
katsooba
Private First Class
 
katsooba's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

bummer
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / custom charge pipe / M3\M1 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox
katsooba is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
gwhiz
Private
 
gwhiz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arizona

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

I've known about the "real" LC with the checkered flag since I got the car (it is in the manual after all) but that total TC off with the quick rev I did not know about.

I tried it on my way home last night... fast rev up and car goes sideways quick - lots of fun! thanks for the tip on that as there are times when you want to show off a bit :P
__________________
Jet Black 2012 BMW 135i E88 / M Sport Package / DCT / BMW PPK Stage 1 / Scopione Front Splitters and Rear Diffuser
gwhiz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Probably not something to use all the time though. Last time I did it I spun all the way through first and second and when I changed into third it threw the car into limp mode.
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
keithbickford
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-Sport DCT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
How do you get checkered flag? And how did the guy do that in the video. I need this start for autocross!
You'll get plenty of tire smoke from both tires using the actual launch control as describes in your owners manual (see below). If you deactivate traction control completely, your RIGHT tire will spin, and you'll not launch quickly. Remember, BMW creates the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Excerpt from 2011 135i owners manual:
Launch Control enables an optimum acceleration
when starting off on a road surface with
good traction.
Do not use Launch Control too often; otherwise,
the powerful stresses on the vehicle
will lead to premature component wear.<
Launch Control is ready for use when the
engine is at operating temperature, i.e. after
uninterrupted travel of at least 6.2 miles/10 km.
1. With the engine running, step on the brake
with your left foot.
2. Activate Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),
refer to page, 72.
3. Activate Driving dynamics control, refer to
page 55.
4. With the vehicle stationary, activate the
manual mode and select 1st gear.
5. With your right foot, push the accelerator
pedal past the resistance point. The acceleration
speed is adjusted. A flag symbol
appears in the instrument cluster.
6. When you release the brake pedal, the vehicle
accelerates. Keep the accelerator pedal
floored.
7. The upshifting occurs automatically as long
as you keep the accelerator pedal pressed
past the resistance point.
Launch Control will be ready for use again after
you drive a certain distance.
Launch Control is not available for use during
the break-in phase, refer to page 104.
To maintain driving stability, keep DSC
activated whenever possible.
keithbickford is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
02rsxpilot
Private First Class
 
02rsxpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NorCal

Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That's actually me.
Completely stock exhaust, I tape a lapel mic to the diffuser and run the cable through the car to the camera. That's why the exhaust sounds good because the mic is right next to it
This should be mandatory reading for anyone that wants to put an aftermarket exhaust on their car for noise reasons. The car sounds different from inside the car than it does outside! If you make your car sound from the inside the way you want it to sound from the outside, what you have done is made your car extremely annoying to 99.9% of the people that will hear it.

The stock exhaust note is fantastic.
02rsxpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 6,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbickford
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
How do you get checkered flag? And how did the guy do that in the video. I need this start for autocross!
You'll get plenty of tire smoke from both tires using the actual launch control as describes in your owners manual (see below). If you deactivate traction control completely, your RIGHT tire will spin, and you'll not launch quickly. Remember, BMW creates the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Excerpt from 2011 135i owners manual:
Launch Control enables an optimum acceleration
when starting off on a road surface with
good traction.
Do not use Launch Control too often; otherwise,
the powerful stresses on the vehicle
will lead to premature component wear.&lt;
Launch Control is ready for use when the
engine is at operating temperature, i.e. after
uninterrupted travel of at least 6.2 miles/10 km.
1. With the engine running, step on the brake
with your left foot.
2. Activate Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),
refer to page, 72.
3. Activate Driving dynamics control, refer to
page 55.
4. With the vehicle stationary, activate the
manual mode and select 1st gear.
5. With your right foot, push the accelerator
pedal past the resistance point. The acceleration
speed is adjusted. A flag symbol
appears in the instrument cluster.
6. When you release the brake pedal, the vehicle
accelerates. Keep the accelerator pedal
floored.
7. The upshifting occurs automatically as long
as you keep the accelerator pedal pressed
past the resistance point.
Launch Control will be ready for use again after
you drive a certain distance.
Launch Control is not available for use during
the break-in phase, refer to page 104.
To maintain driving stability, keep DSC
activated whenever possible.
Its my wife's car. Was just curious.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
This should be mandatory reading for anyone that wants to put an aftermarket exhaust on their car for noise reasons. The car sounds different from inside the car than it does outside! If you make your car sound from the inside the way you want it to sound from the outside, what you have done is made your car extremely annoying to 99.9% of the people that will hear it.

The stock exhaust note is fantastic.
I have straight pipes now
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST