BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Kgolf31
Colonel

Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Anyway to determine TPMS w/out dismounting tire?

Way back in June, I bought a used set of snow tires, wheels, and TPMS included.

I didn't know at that time, that TPMS frequency changed over 2010, just like the E9x did and went through this same experience with my dad's car.

Anyways, I mounted the tires yesterday, pulled it into the garage...no light.

Today, driving to work, after about 25 minutes of driving I got the TPMS Inactive light on my car. I don't know why it didn't throw it immediately, so I was kinda puzzled at that.

Anyways, I think I have an older TPMS version (the ones that work up until 09 build-date). However I didn't know if there was an easy way to check and see if this is indeed the case.

I didn't know if the valve stem, or any design of the TPMS changed where I could simply look at the wheel and know, instead of dismounting the tires.

Any help is appreciated. As well, where can I find some new (or used) TPMS for cheap?

11-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
hatepotholez
Private First Class

Drives: 128i, 135i

There was a TSB on a valve change. The old valves used a flat screw like top on the valves:

SI B36 01 10
Wheels and Tires
November 2010
Technical Service
SUBJECT
New Style Tire Valves
MODEL
All

INFORMATION

The tire valves for use with Tire Pressure Monitor Systems have been redesigned. The new style valves (on the right in the illustration) can be identified by the smaller/conventional type cap (1) and the tapered seat at the valve's base (3).

^ The sealing washer (indicated by the arrow) is no longer required with the new style valve.

^ The valve has been modified in the area of the rubber seal (3).

^ The only component which is interchangeable between the two valves is the valve cap (1). When replacing a tire valve, the old cap can be reused, if necessary, to ensure that all the tire valves are fitted with matching caps.

^ Always refer to the Repair Manual for proper installation instructions, including tightening torques.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

For information only

To find out when the actual sensors changed you should check realoem.

Ebay or aftermarket TPMS sensors are available for much less than an OE.
      11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

you can tell via your production date (stamped on the drivers door jam or hood)... cars built before Sept 2010 had the early system when post Sept builds had the new freq TPMS.

Any dealer or (good)tire shop should have a scan tool that can be held near a tire and read the TPMS signal.

Also... when you reset your TPMS light make sure the car is running but standing still... then use the iDrive or BC to reset and drive the car for a few hundred meters until the TPMS check light resets. Every once in awhile mine TOMS light does something funny. You need to check the tire pressures and reset everything - say every month or so. (when you check your tires).
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      11-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
you can tell via your production date (stamped on the drivers door jam or hood)... cars built before Sept 2010 had the early system when post Sept builds had the new freq TPMS.

Any dealer or (good)tire shop should have a scan tool that can be held near a tire and read the TPMS signal.

Also... when you reset your TPMS light make sure the car is running but standing still... then use the iDrive or BC to reset and drive the car for a few hundred meters until the TPMS check light resets. Every once in awhile mine TOMS light does something funny. You need to check the tire pressures and reset everything - say every month or so. (when you check your tires).
Build date is 6/12

OEM wheels work perfectly fine, however I bought used winters + tires + TPMS from a forum member back in March or something when I initially purchased the car and never mounted until then. PO of the tires never specified that it was from a specific year...just said it came off a 1 series. As of now, I'm assuming it was a 08-10 given I'm getting this inactive code

I thought both pre and post TPMS are 433mhz? I just need to find out if these are Huf RDE008 TPMS sensors or Huf RDE012 TPMS sensors (the ones that I need).

I've tried to reset, and now I just get the yellow TPMS light, no inactive TPMS light coming up and flashing like prior this morning....

Not as annoying, but still there is a yellow light.

11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Kgolf31 one other option would be to have your car "coded" for the EU TPMS system. The EU (and Canadian) cars use the car's ABS sensors to detect a flat. Once your car is coded you just need to unplug the TPMS ecu in the RR of the car/trunk.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      11-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
If the guy wasn't lying to you, safe to assume you have older sensors. But if you really want to know if the light is on due to incompatible sensors or lack of sensors, I would just take one off, bring to a tire shop, break the bead and have them pull the sensor out. The older and newer look distinctly different. Newer is thinner and more rectangular.

Or just find a guy with a pre-LCI e8/9x and throw wheels on there. Not overly helpful I know.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
      11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Colonel

Got a response back from the PO, his 135i was a 2011.

So wouldn't the TPMS be working, since I'm a 6/12 build date?

Hopefully it isn't a TPMS failure in one of the wheels....maybe BMW could warranty them if they are OEM sensors?

12-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
dieselsrule
Registered

Drives: 335d

Take your car to Belle Tire, Discount Tire, or any other reputable shop and they can read the TPMS sensors, individually, while mounted to determine if they are all working. They did this for free for me.