E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My CIP 20 update is crashing

03-24-2006, 01:35 AM   #67
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
sorry to hear about your issue, I would demand a new car
      03-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #68
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_S4
sorry to hear about your issue, I would demand a new car
EVO_S4, thanks for the sympathy...

I just need to calm down before I go to the dealer... right now, i'm even considering my money back... and then go and shop for a completely different car... but I know that is not what I want... and i might just end up worse off in terms of ending up with a car that I will hate.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm a sucker for BMW punishment and bad service... but i'm so close to turning my back on BMW once and for all.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 03:01 AM   #69
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Thrill, I'm really sorry to hear that. A had a similar problem with VW South Africa (VWSA) with my GOLF 4 GTi, which drove me into buying a BMW. The legal course can be lengthy indeed.

I approached the Motor Industry Ombudsman (MIO), where you can report BMWSA "012-361 8824" and the Retail Motoring “http://www.rmi.org.za” where you can report the Dealers. Both processes were going to take a month or two.

I then approached legal advice. The lawyer asked me to keep my cool and be nice to the dealer while I garthered all the documentation he needed for a case against VWSA from the dealer. At the end, when I presented the facts, VWSA knew that they were going to lose and paid for all the damages.

Good luck, You really don't deserve this torture!!!

This is my story!!!!!

My GTi was due a cambelt at 180 000kms according to VWSA specs.

VWSA changed the specs to 120 000kms but failed to communicate this to my dealer.

My cambelt snapped at 178 000kms and car required a new cylinder head. (R40 000).

Clearly, either VWSA or the dealer were at fault for my cambelt service mix-up.

Neither wanted to admit guilt and they fabricated another story.

I was then told that the tensioner failed and the cambelt consequently failed. That was not their fault. The car was old.

The lawyer asked me to get all the job cards for my services. They all clearly stipulated that the “tensioner+cambelt” were one part and both needed to be changed during a cambelt change.

In all, VWSA had no leg to stand on. I told them I would publish this to the news papers to warn all GOLF 4 GTi owners. They paid!!!
2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #70
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

thrill30, that's terrible.

They cannot keep you waiting like this. Something is definately wrong.

I went on the factory tour again today, and the tour guide was a retired 'head of technical'. He made a comment that it's usually the same dealers which always have problems that get referred to BMW SA.

There is no reason your car should be taking so long. Everything is still being done by the dealer - so it's probably their fault.

I would tell BMW SA that the situation is unacceptable - and ask them what they are going to do to rectify it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #71
carlosng
CARLUVKRIS
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240I m PERFORMANCE

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
I took my car in this morning, for the CIP 20 update. I had been promised that the software takes about 2 to 3 hours.

I had my doubts about that, since I've read here that some cars may need overnight updating. Anyway, they told me that the update on my car keeps crashing. They don't even know if it will succeed at all.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? How long did it take with the crashes? I'm getting worried that they might completely mess everything up :mad: .... I hope they don't have to work on it over the weekend too. One night is bad enough.... I don't think I can take a weekend without my car.
It took a weekend to do my car!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #72
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001
Thrill, I'm really sorry to hear that. A had a similar problem with VW South Africa (VWSA) with my GOLF 4 GTi, which drove me into buying a BMW. The legal course can be lengthy indeed.

I approached the Motor Industry Ombudsman (MIO), where you can report BMWSA "012-361 8824" and the Retail Motoring “http://www.rmi.org.za” where you can report the Dealers. Both processes were going to take a month or two.

I then approached legal advice. The lawyer asked me to keep my cool and be nice to the dealer while I garthered all the documentation he needed for a case against VWSA from the dealer. At the end, when I presented the facts, VWSA knew that they were going to lose and paid for all the damages.

Good luck, You really don't deserve this torture!!!

This is my story!!!!!

My GTi was due a cambelt at 180 000kms according to VWSA specs.

VWSA changed the specs to 120 000kms but failed to communicate this to my dealer.

My cambelt snapped at 178 000kms and car required a new cylinder head. (R40 000).

Clearly, either VWSA or the dealer were at fault for my cambelt service mix-up.

Neither wanted to admit guilt and they fabricated another story.

I was then told that the tensioner failed and the cambelt consequently failed. That was not their fault. The car was old.

The lawyer asked me to get all the job cards for my services. They all clearly stipulated that the “tensioner+cambelt” were one part and both needed to be changed during a cambelt change.

In all, VWSA had no leg to stand on. I told them I would publish this to the news papers to warn all GOLF 4 GTi owners. They paid!!!
Thanks for the info..... I will use it if this problem is not resolved after the ordered parts arrive.... I hope my story will have a happy ending like yours.

I have a long file where I keep all my notes (dates, names, emails, sequence of events, case number at BMW SA, conversations with Dealer or BMW SA) ..... I'm building a case.

Anyway, I collected my car from my wonderful dealership around 12:00PM.... I told them I cannot stand the terms and conditions on the Loan Car for an extended period of time.

Ok, I got my car half-clean, and went straight home... then I decided to do a thorough check on the car... and guess what, they lived up to what I think of them... they have planted 3 scratches on my car.... and that's not all... they also put some dots of grease on my A-pillar, which is very annoying on the grey material used for the headliner:mad:.

The 3 scratches are minor, but they just show the carelessness with which these people treat our cars... I immediately called the Service Advisor, and she said when I bring the car in, they will attend to those scratches.

As soon as I get my car fixed or get a new car... I'm never going to take my car to that dealership again...I will drive to Midrand or Joburg if I have to.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #73
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
thrill30, that's terrible.

They cannot keep you waiting like this. Something is definately wrong.

I went on the factory tour again today, and the tour guide was a retired 'head of technical'. He made a comment that it's usually the same dealers which always have problems that get referred to BMW SA.

There is no reason your car should be taking so long. Everything is still being done by the dealer - so it's probably their fault.

I would tell BMW SA that the situation is unacceptable - and ask them what they are going to do to rectify it.
I wanted to go to the factory tour so badly, but I decided against it, because I wasn't going to enjoy it... I'm sure you guys had fun..... did you take any pictures?

I would agree with the Tour Guide.... it's pure ignorance that causes problems... I mean, has anybody in this forum had a case where after the CIP update, there is no sound coming from any of the speakers? I don't think so, I'm the only one.

Another example of ignorance is as follows:
On Thursday, I called the same dealership, and asked for the Blacklines... I described them in detail before the guy could understand what I was talking about.

He then checked in his system.... he came back and said there are no such lights for the E90... it's only the standard ones that comes with it from the factory.

I told him that I have seen more than five E90's on the road with those lights... we argued until I told him that I will come back with the part number.

So, today I came armed with the Part number.... and they found the Blacklines in the system.... but they don't have them on stock....only Auto Bavaria Midrand has them....they offered to collect them for me... but I told them that I will go and buy them there.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #74
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosng
It took a weekend to do my car!!
I'm the only one who has this problem of CIP 20 Update taking months .... yeah, I'm on my third month now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #75
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Okay, my car is finally back, and I'm in love again

Thanks to everyone on this forum for keeping me sane and for the words of encouragement and support ..... you guys are the best .

About 2 weeks ago, I sent an email to the person handling my case at BMW SA.... I had a few points regarding getting a new car. When I didn't get any reply, I called and requested a written response.... the lady said she never received any email from me.... okay, either they intercept certain emails or she was talking plain .

Then last week I got a call from BMW SA, and they told me that the dealer will call me and make an appointment to bring my car in because the parts had arrived a week ealier than expected.

Then on Friday, a lady from the dealership called me and said I can bring my car in on 10 April at 9h30am, and the manager will give me his personal car to drive around during the day... I think they expected me to be excited about that, but I wasn't.

Anyway, at 9h30 today I took my car there... and they gave me a 120i... okay, it's a nice car, but I was expecting an M3 or 6 series because of the way they made it such a big deal .

They called me at about 14h00 or so and told me that I could come and fetch my car.

Anyway, the car is back to normal... everything works as it used to, except that I have an additional "tone" menu option on the "Aux Input" menu ...it was not under the Aux menu before, but under a different menu somewhere.

Anyway, after all the trouble, hopefully I will never see any of the software related issues I had reported.

Bottom line is:
- iDrive is still slow as before.
- My
Motorola Razr V3 still pairs well, but now it has trouble transferring phone book entries... and this worked before:mad:.
- My other phone Motorola MPX 220 does not pair at all now... before, it paired but could not transfer phonebook entries:mad:.
- MP3 still not supported by in-dash CD and CD Changer.... I had specifically requested this when I took the car in for the first time. I created an MP3 CD from iTunes a few minutes ago, and it does not work.

- Voice Control works again, after they had messed it up.
- PDC sound works again,
after they had messed it up.

Anyway, I'm glad that my car is back... and I will take it to another dealer for service, which is due in about 9000km.... I will request the MP3 update then, and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #76
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
....Razr V3 still pairs well, but now it has trouble transferring phone book entries... and this worked before:mad:.....
Do you know which software version they put on your car?... My car is in my dealer overnight for a software update (to fix a spurious warning). I assume that they are loading Progman 21. I have a V3 and now I'm getting worried.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #77
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Im so happy your car is working again ( minus the MP3 and sligthh bluetooth glitch )

I bet your car is being discussed in Germany because its the biggest crash anyone here has ever heard of

Hope you have lots of fun driving it again

Also, I bet they were way to scared to try the MP3 update after the car started working.
      04-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #78
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
Do you know which software version they put on your car?... My car is in my dealer overnight for a software update (to fix a spurious warning). I assume that they are loading Progman 21. I have a V3 and now I'm getting worried.
They told me that they have 20, so that's what they loaded on my car.

Maybe the 21 they will load on your car will not cause any issues.... let's hope you have better luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #79
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Im so happy your car is working again ( minus the MP3 and sligthh bluetooth glitch )

I bet your car is being discussed in Germany because its the biggest crash anyone here has ever heard of

Hope you have lots of fun driving it again

Also, I bet they were way to scared to try the MP3 update after the car started working.
Thanks Fleet

I agree.... they were relieved to get it working again.
Now, I'm gonna go and catch up on some driving ....

And, I can now start thinking about buying those Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #80
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
They told me that they have 20, so that's what they loaded on my car.

Maybe the 21 they will load on your car will not cause any issues.... let's hope you have better luck.
I assume from the build date of my car (late Jan'06) that I already had Progman 20 (this theory is also bourne out by mp3 functionality and Bluetooth stability), so I don't see what else they could be doing, other than putting 21 on. The SA didnt know the version details when I dropped of the car, but said that he'd find out for me.

Anyway I'm pleased that you have your car back in one piece again. Tonight it's me staing out the window at a 1 Series where my 3 should be .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #81
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks Fleet

I agree.... they were relieved to get it working again.
Now, I'm gonna go and catch up on some driving ....

And, I can now start thinking about buying those Blacklines.
Silver lining = Think of the milage you have saved, not driving your car for so long ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #82
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anyway I'm pleased that you have your car back in one piece again. Tonight it's me staing out the window at a 1 Series where my 3 should be .
Thanks London320d...

I've been through that painful experience, and it drove me insane to look at the loan car... I even refused to wash it... just my way of protesting I guess...

Well, since your car was built post-September 2005, it shouldn't have any issues with the software update.... Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #83
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Silver lining = Think of the milage you have saved, not driving your car for so long ;-)
I think I saved somewhere in the region of 7000km... well, that's an interesting way of looking at it.... the pessimist in me, didn't think about it in that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #84
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

thrill30 - I have a thought, but if the mere suggestion of software updates now throws you into a cold sweat, look away now!

Quote:
....Razr V3 still pairs well, but now it has trouble transferring phone book entries... and this worked before:mad:......
Is your phone firmware up to date? My V3 is version 42, the compatability list says that version 40 or above is compatible.

You can check it on the phone under Settings / Phone Status / Other Information / S/W Version. My version string is R374_G_0E.42.0CR. The 42 bit is the important segment of the version string.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #85
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quick update.

This time the dealer could not find anyting wrong, despite the need for an update being decided two weeks ago.

The result - They did nothing. I lost my car for a day for nothing. I have my car back and they are looking into it behind the scenes.

Hmmmmmmmm......
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #86
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thrill30 - I have a thought, but if the mere suggestion of software updates now throws you into a cold sweat, look away now!

Is your phone firmware up to date? My V3 is version 42, the compatability list says that version 40 or above is compatible.

You can check it on the phone under Settings / Phone Status / Other Information / S/W Version. My version string is R374_G_0E.42.0CR. The 42 bit is the important segment of the version string.
Thanks London320d... well, may be you are onto something.... but my software version on the V3 is R374_G_0E.40.3CR.... probably I need to get it to 42 and hope for the best.... thanks for the info, i will try and update my V3.

Well, the software update on the phone is the one thing i'm not scared of...but another software update on my car will take some convincing... in fact i don't think i will do it again on this car.... I'm already debating with myself on whether to try and fix the MP3 update on my next service or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #87
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quick update.

This time the dealer could not find anyting wrong, despite the need for an update being decided two weeks ago.

The result - They did nothing. I lost my car for a day for nothing. I have my car back and they are looking into it behind the scenes.

Hmmmmmmmm......
Seems like you are dealing with a dealership similar to mine.... good luck, and try another dealer before they mess your car up like they did mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #88
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
... but my software version on the V3 is R374_G_0E.40.3CR.... probably I need to get it to 42 and hope for the best.... thanks for the info, i will try and update my V3.
According to the German compatibility chart posted here about a month ago vers "0E.40.3CR" should be OK, with known compatibility issues for earler software.

Have you tried deleting the phone pairing (from both phone and car), using the BMW equivalent of the three finger salute (Yes, I know you've probably been doing a lot of saluting with less than three fingers, over this issue, but let's not get into that!) and then re pairing your phone to the car.

As usual when I need to, I can't find the details in a hurry. What was the reset sequence (posted here recently), the audio left, right and power buttons at the same time?
Appreciate 0