BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2024, 12:39 PM   #1
JustAnotherE82
Rep
Drives: 1989 325is 5MT, 2009 128i 6MT

Drove over a massive rock. Help!!

2009 BMW 128i 6MT 220k kms

I will try to keep this short and sweet.

I was driving to work, all of a sudden I see a rock the size of my head in the middle of the highway. Try to avoid it but end up hitting it.

Damage to oil pan, subframe, and oil sensor. I get all replaced and now my car is running like shit. I have owned the car since 2017, never had a check engine light or any issues. Now when the car starts it rough idles and is struggling to find RPMS and feels low on power. When the car is warm it feels OK but not perfect. Additionally, 1st gear is popping out at low rpms (6MT).

The shop I took to for repairs, may have driven the car with no oil. The owner said he drove it from his shop, to another shop to have the work done. Still trying to get to the bottom of that..

Right now the symptons are rough idle, struggling to find RPM, and stalling until warm. When the car is warm it seems OK but slight loss of power and struggling to find idle.

The codes shown are 2a82 and 2a99.

Any help or insight would be massively appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 03:25 PM   #2
William Turner
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 128i Convertible

Question: how did the car get from, the scene of the damage to the repair shop?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 04:55 PM   #3
JustAnotherE82
Rep
Drives: 1989 325is 5MT, 2009 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Turner View Post
Question: how did the car get from, the scene of the damage to the repair shop?
Hi William. The road that I hit the rock was located on a strip with a bunch of shops. I’m in British Columbia and we have a provincial insurance. So I was able to take the car to an accredited shop directly in front of where it happened. When I parked the car all the oil was still leaking out. There was no lights on the dash for low oil or anything when I parked the car.

The owner of the shop told me they drove the car for “less than 5 minutes” to go to another mechanic. This was after the car has been sitting for a week and I’m sure all the oil had leaked. It is possible they fried my engine in those 5 minutes? How should I go about this? The shop owner admitted in writing to driving the car with no oil for “less than 5 minutes.”

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:41 PM   #4
William Turner
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 128i Convertible

I am unfamiliar with how insurance works in Canada but it sounds to me like there is an insurance claim to make the necessary repairs probably minus some deductible similar to how it works in the US. Contact your adjuster and tell him the issues. Take the car back to the shop you gave it to to be repaired asking them to repair the car properly. If they cannot/will not, talk to the adjuster and take it to a truly competent shop (BMW Dealer?) for an inspection and estimate and working with your insurance company get it repaired properly.

A few years ago I spun my 2000 M Roadster into a curb (pilot error) damaging the rear suspension and tire and wheel. I went to the indy mechanic that regularly serviced the car and he referred me to a third party for the suspension work. Short story, they were incompetent and totally f'd up the job. I went to a different well respected shop who diagnosed what the issues were, my insurance company met with them and paid for the repairs.

Don't let them BS you, you have the right to get the car properly repaired, If for some reason this is not being done through an insurance company, demand your car be properly repaired, if they refuse, get an attorney. Good Luck
Appreciate 1