BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
jps
Private

Drives: JB 128i Coupe

128i ordered - now what?

Ordered my 128i Coupe last night. It should arrive just in time for the snow. (End of November).

Black on black, manual, sport, comfort.

Reading through all the threads, it sounds as if I need to talk to Dan from United (winter mats) and Gill from Tire Track (17" rims and winter tires).

There has also been some talk about the 3M clear bra and the tire insurance (whatever BMW calls them). Worth it or not? - It seems there isn't a real concensus on these two things. I drive the 401 and 427 every day.

Thanks for everyone's help.
jps is offline   Canada
      09-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant

Drives:

Regarding the Tire Insurance (Road Hazzard is what they call it)......$1000? I opted not to take it. On my last BMW I paid for it, almost under the impression that is was mandatory with runflats, but in the three years I owned the car, I completely forgot I had it. I got two flats, both were patched (not plugged) by the local garage for like $50 each time. Never had a problem with he tires.

Put the $1000 in a mutual fund, get your 5% interest annually and you self insure.
      09-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
1HungryMan
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 128i

Yea, I didn't go for the tire insurance (quoted $800) and yet everyone I talked to says it's a must.

The clear bra I think more about, just because of the front grill is so crucial to the look and feeling of the car.

That said, I'm not on the 401 very often, so..
1HungryMan is offline   Canada
      09-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
vanbmw
Captain

Drives: Black 135

Tire insurance was expensive! If you get a flat and replace it at a BMW dealer it is worth it. I heard the dealer wants over $500 for a rear tire up here! If you get a flat and get a replacement tire from tirerack it is not that expensive and you could replace a few tires before the tire warranty would save you money.
vanbmw is offline   Canada
      09-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Road Runner
Lieutenant

Drives:

I'd say definitely go with the 3M. I don't know what its like in Toronto, but in Calgary its a must and most of the people I know have it installed. And you'd probably be hard pressed to find a BMW that doesn't have it around here. If you don't get it, as soon as you start seeing little white spots on the front end, you'll wish you had it.

Also, consider getting 3M behind each of the wheels wells as over time they can get pretty peppered unless you have splash guards. It should only be about $100. Some cars are more prone than others to getting chips on the side panels from rocks kicked up by the tires, the newer Subarus especially. I had a MKIV GTI and noticed the problem after about a year, but by then the blemishes were more trouble than not to deal with. So when I got the 135 I was more on the lookout for it and after about a week I noticed a few chips so I had the 3M put behind each well.

As for the tire insurance, thats personal preference. 1 or 2 flats over the three years and it'll pay for itself. If you haven't got a flat in the past 5 years you're probably doing something right so don't bother. I have the insurance (but got it for free) and have already used it once when I got a nail in my tire about a month ago...

And congrats on the car!
      10-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
tnawab
Private First Class

Drives: 135i Graphite, Coral Red

Get the clear bra. I have it, works awesome and i do lots of highway driving. Plus, it doesnt show at all.

Just remember, if you wax your car you will see it stick to the edge of the bra. To fix it, just take a cue-tip and run it along the edge of the bra. Should fix it right up.