BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
Red135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
The brakes aren't drying when they're applied and the car isn't moving; it's just the vibration from the wiper motor.
Sorry, but you're mistaken. Spent the past 3 years with my former e90 330i watching this exact same topic being discussed. The brake drying function is tied to the wiper sweep, and you can feel it when you're stopped with the wipers on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #24
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If they wanted you driving at 10 and 2, the paddle shifters wouldn't be at 9 and 3. :wink:

They assume that if you're driving an automatic you don't care about driving anyway. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135i View Post
Sorry, but you're mistaken. Spent the past 3 years with my former e90 330i watching this exact same topic being discussed. The brake drying function is tied to the wiper sweep, and you can feel it when you're stopped with the wipers on.

How could the brakes POSSIBLY be drying if your'e sitting still? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
Red135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
How could the brakes POSSIBLY be drying if your'e sitting still? :iono:
The system moves the pads near the rotors to dry them off in wet conditions. Suppose the engineers figured the best way to do this without adding another system was to link it to the rain sensing wipers (when the windshield is wet enough for a wiper sweep, the rotors could use a bit of drying). Same engineers apparently didn't see the need to differentiate between sitting still and moving.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #27
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135i View Post
The system moves the pads near the rotors to dry them off in wet conditions. Suppose the engineers figured the best way to do this without adding another system was to link it to the rain sensing wipers (when the windshield is wet enough for a wiper sweep, the rotors could use a bit of drying). Same engineers apparently didn't see the need to differentiate between sitting still and moving.

It's perfectly reasonable that they tied the system to the wipers, but when people are feeling the pulsing, their foot is on the brake pedal, meaning the pads are already contacting the rotors. There's nothing left for the system to do. Besides that, the pulsing is in the exact rhythm of the wipers. Sorry, I'm not buying this one. :iono:
Appreciate 0