BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #23
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
Rep

Drives: X1, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
I'm sorry but call me an ignorant skeptic.

I have a difficult time imagining that if the engine throws a code or limp mode, that something as fundamental as what gear you are in at the time is not recorded.

Some of us drive the steptronic AT and we know for a fact that we cannot accidently choose a gear that would cause the engine to over-rev. That tells me that the DME is monitoring what gear you are in at all times and whether a chosen dowshift is plausible or not. If it's not plausible it won't let you.

But please, can you provide the evidence that your knowledge of fasta data recording is based upon when you state that only rpm and mph is recorded?

Are you really that fully informed about how BMW stores those codes and the sets of associated raw data.

It's kind of like the X-files...."I want to believe" what you say so why not show it in black and white?
You are asking for "evidence of my knowledge" knowing very well that such evidence cannot be presented. I don't have a screen capture to give you. Nor is there a print out that I can post online. Shouldn't it be up to Terry to prove that he is right? Or maybe he should just spent more time trying to figure out why his supposedly "invisible" tunes are tripping manipulation/warranty codes. Our product speaks for itself

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
ploz
Banned
Rep

Drives:

Wait so the person that owns Vishnu tuning is telling is the ECU does not know what gear you are in? This is getting pretty sad LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Strongbark
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploz View Post
Wait so the person that owns Vishnu tuning is telling is the ECU does not know what gear you are in? This is getting pretty sad LOL!

I still don't understand how he can post in non-commercial threads?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
IN54NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Is there a way to tune the Steptronic to hold the gear?
It holds a gear until you go WOT and hit a "click" on the floor.
      01-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
Car Whore
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 944 Cup Car - Excursion - R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
And since you already have a jb3, why don't you just enjoy it instead of being party of the spreading of misinformation?

shiv

pot calling the kettle black?

aren't you in the...

I'd rather read a thread from enthusiasts and non-biased replies which is considered a discussion.
Euro Delivery - Munich | 10.24.08 @ 10:30am >> Dropped Off - Amsterdam | 10.31.08 @ 1:30pm :: 1469 mi.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploz View Post

What makes you think it does? It doesn't need that information to control the engine. On a manual transmission car the ECU has no idea what gear the car is in. There are no sensors other than reverse and neutral.

Obviously it would be possible for it to make the calculation and figure it out, but for what purpose? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #29
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
You are asking for "evidence of my knowledge" knowing very well that such evidence cannot be presented. I don't have a screen capture to give you. Nor is there a print out that I can post online. Shouldn't it be up to Terry to prove that he is right? Or maybe he should just spent more time trying to figure out why his supposedly "invisible" tunes are tripping manipulation/warranty codes. Our product speaks for itself

Shiv
No....for once I am not going to let this digress into another argument about you and Terry.

I think you have some great ideas.

Your concept about throttle closure interference makes a lot of sense to me in many ways because I do feel it's effect....but this also concerns me in other ways relating to safety mechanisms that BMW has built in.

Both tunes are making a lot more power than BMW programmed them for, so I can understand what you mean when you say that the DME just gets in the way of that additional power because it doesn't know about it....and therefore tries to correct it. In the process it closes the throttle plate and this hinders rather than helps performance.

Just makes sense as you phrased it so many times!

But so does the speed delimiter debate.

It just makes sense to me that all of the fundamental information would be stored when a code is tripped, including what gear you are in at the time.

You must have learned about this from somewhere in your research about how the BMW DME works.

I think it reasonable that some of us would like to see this for ourselves so that we can make the informed decisions you refer to.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #30
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Quote:
Or maybe he should just spent more time trying to figure out why his supposedly "invisible" tunes are tripping manipulation/warranty codes. Our product speaks for itself

Shiv
You have proof of this? Otherwise, can you please keep your BS off our forums. e90 has plenty of it, keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #31
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
Rep

Drives: X1, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
You have proof of this? Otherwise, can you please keep your BS off our forums. e90 has plenty of it, keep it that way.
I'm not the one posting BS on your forum.

Here's one example i found from yesterday:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...70&postcount=7

There are others. Unfortunately, the customer usually doesn't know about it until after goes in to the dealership.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #32
fll335
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 991 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
This isnt FALSE...
I threw this code recently when i brought my car to the dealership.
I had a SSTT and JB3 on my car prior to bringing this in.
Can you blame JB3 only?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #33
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLL335 View Post
Can you blame JB3 only?

I would suspect the SSTT. I had a similar code (2D25 Mass Air Manipulation) using one.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #34
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

scary im glad i havnt bought any tunes yet...im playing the waiting game...im pretty set on the V3 as the user interface is what i like most and having shiv fully explain his product and not dodge answers left and right...im still gonna wait to make sure no one has any warranty issues or codes thrown and i will be making that purchase

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
ploz
Banned
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I would suspect the SSTT. I had a similar code (2D25 Mass Air Manipulation) using one.
I have now heard of SSTT, PROCEDE, and JB3 all giving people warranty problems. Although not that often. The only one that is 100% problem free is the Dinan Flash, but who knows if they will be in business long enough to cover anything for you.

I also read the tuners are working to make things more hidden so maybe it is just a never ending cat and mouse game with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #36
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives:

I would say Even Dinan flash is not 100% warranty safe. I believe if you removed the piggy bag tune before any major warranty repair (like a broken turbo), it is very hard for them to void the warranty repair based on a non-conclusive "2D25 Mass Air Manipulation" error code since they found no hard evidence of a tune was there.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0