BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
AliMoney1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

How to Care for New 1

I just picked up my 135i last night... Alpine White Coupe with pretty much everything except heated seats. It's my first new car, and honestly I have no idea how to care (wash, clean wax, etc) for it. All my previous cars have been junk but I like to keep all my finer things in pristine condition. Any advice you have on the following would be appreciated:

1. What materials do I need to wash the exterior?
- What are the best cloths, soaps, etc.?
- Do I need to treat the Shadowline any differently?
2. What do I need to care for the leather and rest of the interior?
3. How often do you guys wash and wax your cars?

If there are any other things (tips, materials, ideas, etc) you guys can think of please let me know...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Go to the Detailing/Washing sub forum.
Read, read, read
      06-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Congrats! Moved to Detaling/Washing subforum
      06-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMoney1 View Post
I just picked up my 135i last night... Alpine White Coupe with pretty much everything except heated seats. It's my first new car, and honestly I have no idea how to care (wash, clean wax, etc) for it. All my previous cars have been junk but I like to keep all my finer things in pristine condition. Any advice you have on the following would be appreciated:

1. What materials do I need to wash the exterior?
- What are the best cloths, soaps, etc.?
- Do I need to treat the Shadowline any differently?
2. What do I need to care for the leather and rest of the interior?
3. How often do you guys wash and wax your cars?

If there are any other things (tips, materials, ideas, etc) you guys can think of please let me know...

1. for washing you are going to need some soft towels, wheel brushes, and some cloths for washing or a mitt. i personally use a mitt. as far as soap, i really like the Meguiars NXT car wash because it works really well and is neutral in pH. as far as a wheel brush, i would use the Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush because the stem bends to get all spots of the wheel even around the rotor.
2. for the interior, you can't beat lexol, i use the quick wipes, they are a little bit more expensive, but you dont have to saturate the rag with the product to get a good application. i do this about every 4 months here in seattle where sun is not plentiful. however, if you are in a sunny area, you should do it more often, or when your leather starts to feel a little dry.
3. i try to wash every week by hand and wax every 2-3 months. the weather here isnt optimal for keeping the car clean long, so I am looking into getting some ONR, these people have given a good description of the product http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html, but i would buy from a vendor on here as you get a forum discount.

hope this helps
      06-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

Great color to start learning about the art of detailing.
Appreciate 0