BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
dimeesq
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 Vert

I forgot about this until my wife reminded me the other day, but the Porsche dealership right next to BMW of Arlington is also a place of frustration for me. Prior to the 1 coming out, last summer I guess, I was shopping around for my next car and wanted to test drive a new Boxster S. I showed up at the dealership about 1 1/2 hours before they closed and asked to take a test drive. They told me I couldn't, that they had just locked up the keys for the day. What? I asked why they couldn't unlock them if they were just "locked-up" and the guy just told me they wouldn't because they were getting ready to close up shop. As we are having this conversation another customer returns from a test drive. I ask about test driving the car that just returned and he told me I couldn't in case the customer wanted that particular car. Again, all this while the dealership still had over an hour until closing time. I gave that guy a piece of my mind. And a week later I showed up in a 911 (borrowed) and found that same guy and told him he missed out on a sale and that I was even talked up to the 911. He was clearly agitated and showed, right at the time the sales manager walked by. The sales manager asked if we needed anything and I calmly mentioned that because of the customer service I didn't receive I bought a 911 elsewhere (even though I didn't). Not sure what happened to that guy. Must be something in the water at the dealerships in Arlington.

2008 BMW 135 Vert
Montego Blue
Coral Red
HGB Trim
Cold Weather
Premium
Sport
Comfort Access
IPOD and USB
Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

Niiiice!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeesq View Post
I forgot about this until my wife reminded me the other day, but the Porsche dealership right next to BMW of Arlington is also a place of frustration for me. Prior to the 1 coming out, last summer I guess, I was shopping around for my next car and wanted to test drive a new Boxster S. I showed up at the dealership about 1 1/2 hours before they closed and asked to take a test drive. They told me I couldn't, that they had just locked up the keys for the day. What? I asked why they couldn't unlock them if they were just "locked-up" and the guy just told me they wouldn't because they were getting ready to close up shop. As we are having this conversation another customer returns from a test drive. I ask about test driving the car that just returned and he told me I couldn't in case the customer wanted that particular car. Again, all this while the dealership still had over an hour until closing time. I gave that guy a piece of my mind. And a week later I showed up in a 911 (borrowed) and found that same guy and told him he missed out on a sale and that I was even talked up to the 911. He was clearly agitated and showed, right at the time the sales manager walked by. The sales manager asked if we needed anything and I calmly mentioned that because of the customer service I didn't receive I bought a 911 elsewhere (even though I didn't). Not sure what happened to that guy. Must be something in the water at the dealerships in Arlington.
Do you look young?

That's the most annoying fucking thing, and it happens to me all the time because i look about 10 years younger than I am. Then I go somewhere I just want to be left alone (like Best Buy) and i can't get the salespeople to shut the F up.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #26
dimeesq
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Do you look young?

That's the most annoying fucking thing, and it happens to me all the time because i look about 10 years younger than I am. Then I go somewhere I just want to be left alone (like Best Buy) and i can't get the salespeople to shut the F up.
I guess I look a little young, but I pulled up in an X5 - not exactly a cheap car. I would have thought that would have gotten me a little respect. I went to a different dearlship and had no problems like that, got to test anything I wanted. Didn't buy, but if I was ever interested in buying again (and I may be in the future) I certainly know where I'm going and where I'm not.

I was actually talking about this sort of thing with the guy at the other dealership. His basic response was, "It's northern Virginia, we've had a ton of kids come in whose parents have no problem dropping 100K on a car for them so you have to treat everyone with respect."

Oddly enough, when I was at BMW of Sterling a different time a rather older woman walked in the door and wanted some help. She HAD to be in her 70s but they greated her immediately and she pointed to a car and said she wanted to look at it. It was an M5. I know the rep was thinking the lady doesn't know what she is looking at. She ended up buying it. You just never know.

2008 BMW 135 Vert
Montego Blue
Coral Red
HGB Trim
Cold Weather
Premium
Sport
Comfort Access
IPOD and USB
Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #27
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC135i View Post
I ordered my 135i from Tischer BMW of Silver Spring (MileOne), and I had (and continue to have), a really good experience. My CA gave me all the time in the world (he was about to leave after a full day's work, but stayed with me for 2 hours to get me a test drive and talk about options and pricing). His wife even called twice, but he stayed with me, and I really appreciated that. Also, he allowed me to take a 135i on a test drive by myself, and he even gave me a great back roads route to take. It was an awesome route that took me through the Silver Spring countryside/farmlands with winding roads and varying grades. I was out for about 45 minutes, and that wasn't a problem at all for them. Also, both the sales manager and the general manager came out to greet me and talk for a bit. They even shared their own BMW stories. I was also given a bottle of water (i know, not a big deal, but it was a nice gesture). And whenever I have a question, I just call my CA or email him, and he's always ready to respond. Just yesterday he went out of his way to contact a customer who just received his 135i, to ask him a question that came from me. I'm in my early 30s, but I could pass for 27, so I wasn't judged by my younger appearance. I recommend them, based on the experiences I've had thus far. Let me know if you want my CAs name...he's great.
Tischer is not very competitive on the price. How do you guys drive in and out of the dealership without ripping out your lower front lip ? The entrance is very steep.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense135i View Post
Tischer is not very competitive on the price. How do you guys drive in and out of the dealership without ripping out your lower front lip ? The entrance is very steep.
While their price may not be the best, I've found their service to be top notch.

In over 10 years of dealing with Tischer, I've never had a problem with their entrance, even in a Z3 or Z4. But it requires slowing down to about 5 mph, which makes sense given the traffic in and out of that dealership.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
CapHill1er
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435xi GC-Carbon Black M-Sport

I know this thread has been dormant for a long time, but I can't find any other place talking about DC area dealerships.

I live in DC and I'm trying to decide between dealerships. Back in 2005, I had an okay experience with BMW of Arlington in purchasing but horrible experiences with their service department and follow-up visits.

So I'm in the market for a 135 coupe and I used USAA's no-haggle pricing to introduce myself to area dealers to see who would work with USAA's price (about $500 over invoice). Arlington ignored me, Sterling emailed me back trying to get me in a 2010, and Tischer sent a non-committal email. However, BMW of Annapolis went out of their way (multiple CA's emailed me, I guess to see who i clicked with the most) to be helpful.

So Annap is a good ways away, but they are a lot more amenable to helping me out with an ED order whereas other dealers seem to sigh and shrug and say, "I guess I could order it for you but wouldn't you rather have.....on the lot?"

Went to test drive at Tischer and although the folks there were nice, the CA who helped me spent more time trying "figure me out" than helping me out. Like because I drove up in a hybird I must want a cheap car...he even asked me straight out if I was looking for an economy car or a performance car. Weird.

So after that long pitch, here's my dilemma: Where can I get the best deal (as close to ED Invoice as possible) without a lot of hassle?

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
torresfe
torresfe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

Back in 2008; I purchase my 135I from Tischer BMW in Silver Spring, MD.
I was also utilizing the USAA no haggle price. None of the local dealer in the DC area were helpful at all. My Sales man at Tischer was Sigis Skirpa and he honor USAA pricing without a single problem. He went out of his way to find a local car with the exact options that I want on it.

Also they were the ones who gave me the higher trade in value for my 2005 Porsche Boxster at the time. I am currently in Afghanistan and pre- ordered a 2011 X3 for the wife before I return home; My dealer of choice for US delivery in the DC area will be Tischer no question ask.

Last edited by torresfe; 05-04-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
CapHill1er
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Torresfe. Keep your head down over there!

As an aside, is it possible for you to order your X3 through BMW's military return from overseas program? Might be a cheaper option for you. Almost did that when I was in the USAF stationed in Turkey. Wish I had.

I am hoping since Tischer and Annapolis have agreed to USAA pricing that they will transfer that $500 over invoice to the European Delivery Invoice Price. That would be ideal.

Be Safe and Thanks!
-J
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #32
torresfe
torresfe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I

Yes; I am ordering thru the BMW Military sales program. I am getting a great deal for the 2011 Turbo X3. with the same engine of the 2011 135i.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I am very short right now; less than 30 days as of today.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #33
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHill1er View Post
I know this thread has been dormant for a long time, but I can't find any other place talking about DC area dealerships.

I live in DC and I'm trying to decide between dealerships. Back in 2005, I had an okay experience with BMW of Arlington in purchasing but horrible experiences with their service department and follow-up visits.

So I'm in the market for a 135 coupe and I used USAA's no-haggle pricing to introduce myself to area dealers to see who would work with USAA's price (about $500 over invoice). Arlington ignored me, Sterling emailed me back trying to get me in a 2010, and Tischer sent a non-committal email. However, BMW of Annapolis went out of their way (multiple CA's emailed me, I guess to see who i clicked with the most) to be helpful.

So Annap is a good ways away, but they are a lot more amenable to helping me out with an ED order whereas other dealers seem to sigh and shrug and say, "I guess I could order it for you but wouldn't you rather have.....on the lot?"

Went to test drive at Tischer and although the folks there were nice, the CA who helped me spent more time trying "figure me out" than helping me out. Like because I drove up in a hybird I must want a cheap car...he even asked me straight out if I was looking for an economy car or a performance car. Weird.

So after that long pitch, here's my dilemma: Where can I get the best deal (as close to ED Invoice as possible) without a lot of hassle?

Thanks,
John

I did ED and purchased through VOB BMW and John Forston, I will say he is a friend of mine but I'm also sure he could work something out with you. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions also if need be.
      05-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #34
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Passport BMW. The best dealership that I worked with. I sent you a PM.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #35
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Passport BMW. The best dealership that I worked with. I sent you a PM.
+1 Jorn Esser is the man over there for ED.
      05-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Lived and went to school in DC and lived in Arlington for 5 years. Had my M Roadster and 135i serviced at BMW Arlington. Also spent several occasions checking our cars there. STAY AWAY. They are absolutely awful to deal with....

I checked out an M3 at Passport BMW and almost bought something there. Much much better experience from the first moment, and I hadn't even purchased a car there...

Just my experience!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense135i View Post
Tischer's sales mgr gave me the best "out the door" price out of all the area dealerships. But I was low-balled on my trade-in.
That pretty much leveled out the price quote I received. I dont blame it on the sales mgr; it was the used car mgr who was to blame. He reeked of sleazy, with his two toned dress shirt (white collar and blue shirt), cuff links and his Versace tie, bathed in cologne and shifty eyes and had the posture of a Cro-Magnon. Oh he's still there, since I recently went to Tischer for warranty maintance the other day. I wanted to go up to him and crack him in his noggin as he sat there hunched over his desk like a reptile. Anyhow, I still like Tischer's new car dept and their service dept is great but I would never buy a used car from them or trade in another car in the future. And dont let them wash your car when you go in for service, My car is now covered in dirt swirls! I give up...

Last edited by M2; 06-14-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I am also from DC area. I have always heard good things about Tischer. Any of their dealership locations. I have also heard good things about BMW of Sterling, near Dulles Rt28.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #39
CapHill1er
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
+1 Jorn Esser is the man over there for ED.
+100 for Jorn. He was a pleasure to deal with and has patiently answered all of my subsequent questions about planning my ED trip. Can't wait until he gets back from vacation for some more questions.

--John
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #40
sjp3003
Private
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Took delivery today from Arlington...the car was prepped and ready for delivery, but the paperwork took forever. Turns out they were adjusting the terms of the deal. My CA had advised that bMW increased the residual on a 36 mo lease from 59% to 65%. Great, I thought, that should lower the payments a bit.

But net nay nay, they hiked up the selling price of the car and the money factor to keep a higher margin for themselves while presenting the monthly payment I accepted when I ordered the car in June. The residual value increased by about 3,000! When I pointed this out to the GM he said it would be the same to them to honor the original deal. When I mentioned that as a customer I would be much better off having a purchase option at 28K instead of 31K he shrugged his shoulders.

These guys are slimeballs...
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #41
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

BMW of Arlington is a Rosenthal dealer. If you're from the DC area, you know the Rosenthal reputation. I shopped there for a BMW, and the sales manager was absolute slime. I walked out. Purchased at Passport BMW, which was a great experience. Also shopped at Tischer, and was treated very well.
      08-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikead_99 View Post
I just want to share the following email correspondence I had with a CA from there. He had been working with me, along with several other dealers on getting the price down on the car I ordered. The email chain pasted below speaks for itself. Note my response to his original question, I don't owe the guy a thing but took the time to let him know I gave him a shot and things went a different direction. I think before this we had maybe 3 emails, so apparently this is enough to make someone bitter.

Classless.

Mike:

Thanks for the update. Sorry things didn't work out for you to order thru BMW of Arlington. I'm sure you paying more than what deal we could have struck.

Best of Luck.

Bobby
-------Original Message-------
Sent: 6/10/2008 9:21 am
To: Robert Wallace
Subject: RE: BMW 1 Series

Bobby,

I apologize for inconveniencing you. I actually went by the dealership Sunday to place the order not realizing you were closed. Being impatient, yesterday, I took the opportunity to slip out of the office to a more local dealership and struck a deal and placed the order. I really do appreciate your taking the time to provide the quotes to me and do wish I would have planned the weekend visit out a little better.

Thanks,
Mike

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Robert Wallace wrote:

Mike:

Just touching base with you on the 1 Series BMW we talked about last week. Are you still considering the special ordered car?

Bobby
There is absolutely nothing wrong this response. Every other person will tell the same thing.
      09-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #43
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDarkness View Post
i dont want to sound like a dick,
Funny, cause that's exactly what you sound like.