BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #111
Orlin
Addicted to One
 
Orlin's Avatar
 
Drives: APR Stage 2+ Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to Orlin
Thanks for that Adrian, I think the main reason I originally chose DMS was because I am not very experienced in monitoring JB3 or Procede and I did not want to risk the thing throwing any codes. DMS was a safer option for me to keep my warranty however as you pointed out they are very conservative and the gains are not as good as the other mods. Once again thanks for your help!
Orlin is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #112
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

DMS certainly has a place in the market...it makes sense for some people. But when it comes to maximum performance, Procede is on another level really compared to DMS.

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #113
Guran
Captain
 
Guran's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Posts: 902
iTrader: (0)

Nice explanation of the dyno numbers, Adrian. Personally, when I look at those charts, the shape of the torque/tractive effort curve is what I'm most interested in. The absolute numbers are pretty meaningless unless you do the rough conversion that you've highlighted. Even then, it's still only a number. The torque curve tells you what you feel in the seat of your pants since torque is directly proportional to acceleration. If you have a flat torque curve, then you feel a constant surge of acceleration. But if you have a peaked torque curve, then you feel a sudden surge of acceleration as boost arrives, followed by an easing in acceleration as torque drops beyond the peak.

And there's lots more to this subject, such as losses in tractive effort caused by tyre pressures (generally higher pressures give better results), and losses due to centrifugal expansion of the tyre diameter at high speed (effectively alters the gearing).
__________________
08 BMW 135i Sport Coupe | Manual | Sparkling Graphite | Coral Red Boston Leather | 10 Speaker Hi Fi
Guran is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #114
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Nice explanation of the dyno numbers, Adrian. Personally, when I look at those charts, the shape of the torque/tractive effort curve is what I'm most interested in. The absolute numbers are pretty meaningless unless you do the rough conversion that you've highlighted. Even then, it's still only a number. The torque curve tells you what you feel in the seat of your pants since torque is directly proportional to acceleration. If you have a flat torque curve, then you feel a constant surge of acceleration. But if you have a peaked torque curve, then you feel a sudden surge of acceleration as boost arrives, followed by an easing in acceleration as torque drops beyond the peak.

And there's lots more to this subject, such as losses in tractive effort caused by tyre pressures (generally higher pressures give better results), and losses due to centrifugal expansion of the tyre diameter at high speed (effectively alters the gearing).
The shape of the torque curve gives the best indication of how a car will feel to drive as you say. I aim for a flat torque curve. It is actually not that hard to produce gobbs of torque down low, but unless you can maintain it up top, it ends up feeling flat... breathless. I like to see torque go to a peak as early as possible and then stay flat for 3-4000RPM before it drops off. This gives a nice linear feeling power curve. Additionally I like to see throttle control, so that even if you can produce high boost at low RPM, I want to be able to control how much boost I get with the accelerator pedal rather than just have it go straight to max boost making the pedal more like a switch.

Yes there is alot to dynos. They are best used for back to back comparisons for tuning or mods. This way the many non-linear variable remain as close as possible. It is hard to use them to compare different cars in different places. Expecially since different dyno types give different results. I have used them extensively throughout my work, so have done the research to know how to read dyno curves, but it is a shame most of the people who like to show off their dyno curves on forums do not understand them better.

The biggest misconception I see is that of power vs torque. Some people say they would rather tune for torque than power and do not realise that they are the same thing. They really mean they would prefer power at low RPm to power at high RPM.

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #115
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys,

This is just a note to let you know that I will be in the US for 3 weeks from this weekend. Therefore I will be unable to send any Procedes to customers during this time. I know Andrew@SouthernBM has 1 in stock also. Therefore if you plan to get a Procede in this time from me, I would have to get it out before the end of this week, or you can wait until I return (Last week of July).

Also, In the USA, Shiv is offering a deal to upgrade Procede Rev 1 owners and JB3 owners for a generous price reduction. I have not finalised pricing, but plan to do the same. However I will not be offering the deal where the JB3/Rev 1 patch harness can be updated. I will only offer the reduction on proof of tune, and you can keep and sell you old tune (but it will not be valid for this upgrade price for the new owner).

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #116
Raz0s
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 131
iTrader: (0)

Enjoy the trip mate!

On a side note for yourself and the others on the forum. The Procede you installed the other week is running great. Great power, Great Driveability, and no issues with the car.....




Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Hi Guys,

This is just a note to let you know that I will be in the US for 3 weeks from this weekend. Therefore I will be unable to send any Procedes to customers during this time. I know Andrew@SouthernBM has 1 in stock also. Therefore if you plan to get a Procede in this time from me, I would have to get it out before the end of this week, or you can wait until I return (Last week of July).

Also, In the USA, Shiv is offering a deal to upgrade Procede Rev 1 owners and JB3 owners for a generous price reduction. I have not finalised pricing, but plan to do the same. However I will not be offering the deal where the JB3/Rev 1 patch harness can be updated. I will only offer the reduction on proof of tune, and you can keep and sell you old tune (but it will not be valid for this upgrade price for the new owner).

Cheers,

Adrian
Raz0s is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #117
ExREX
Private First Class
 
ExREX's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & x3 30d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Hi sorry to be a bit dumb. i've just been through the 6 pages of this post... very interesting!

Question......Adrian mentions "decat down pipes and DCI". I assume the down pipes are the same as what we call in WRX terms dump pipes? Is this puely a stock dump pipe with the cat removed and still connected to a stock exhaust, or after market dumb with std exhaust? Secondly what's a DCI?

Thanks
ExREX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #118
MFKN3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,914
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Hi sorry to be a bit dumb. i've just been through the 6 pages of this post... very interesting!

Question......Adrian mentions "decat down pipes and DCI". I assume the down pipes are the same as what we call in WRX terms dump pipes? Is this puely a stock dump pipe with the cat removed and still connected to a stock exhaust, or after market dumb with std exhaust? Secondly what's a DCI?

Thanks
Yes, downpipes are dump pipes, generally 3" diameter with no cats. Yet to hear of anyone gutting the cuts from stock downpipes as the aftermarkets flow much better regardless.

DCI = dual cone intake
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #119
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Hi sorry to be a bit dumb. i've just been through the 6 pages of this post... very interesting!

Question......Adrian mentions "decat down pipes and DCI". I assume the down pipes are the same as what we call in WRX terms dump pipes? Is this puely a stock dump pipe with the cat removed and still connected to a stock exhaust, or after market dumb with std exhaust? Secondly what's a DCI?

Thanks
Hi ExREX,

I am also ex-REX... but I still have a WRX as my track car!! Mine is a 98 that is pretty stripped and not much is standard. It is pretty quick at track/motorkhana/drag.

Downpipe = dump pipe. In teh N54 there is a dump or down pipe off each turbo. They each have cats in them. In my case I have replaced them with bolton pipes that have no cats and are a bit larger in diameter. My exhaust system is otherwise stock standard and sounds the same as a standard car.

DCI = Dual Cone Intake. Basically replacing the standard air box with two cone air filters. To be honest, I think there is not much power in this mod, and I would have gotten similar results with the standard air box and filter.

To get 250+ kW ATW in a N54 is really just a matter of the tune (around 50-60kW) and down pipes (10-20kW). After that it gets harder to get every kW, but next mods would be FMIC, Meth, Full exhaust. which would get you another 20-30kW.

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #120
Trexx
Private First Class
 
Trexx's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Man that makes it sound so tempting.

Adrian I think exRex is on cracker too... I've seen the white exRex mobile on the way to and from work a few times....
Trexx is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #121
ExREX
Private First Class
 
ExREX's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & x3 30d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexx View Post
Man that makes it sound so tempting.

Adrian I think exRex is on cracker too... I've seen the white exRex mobile on the way to and from work a few times....
Hi Guys

Thanks great info and will add it to the list when i put a few more km's on the clock and have managed to hide a bit more cash from the wife!!!

Yes am on Cracker too! And just drew the link on who you are!

Have a good weekend guys.

Greg
ExREX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #122
recce
Private First Class
 
recce's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Hi Adrian,

I probably seen you in the NSW Impreza WRX club. Not sure if thats you that drives a "gun metal grey" WRX with plenty of stickers on. Anyway, I have just order a N55 135i. Just wondering if there is something for the N55? Thanks!

Ken
recce is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #123
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Yes I am in the NSW WRX club. But I have not got a gun metal grey WRX. I used to have a burgundy RS Liberty until late 2008. Now I have a 98 WRX:



I am currently in the USA working on an N55 135I DCT. It is coming.... but not going to give a date yet. I will say that it should be no more than a month or two.

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #124
recce
Private First Class
 
recce's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Thanks adrain! Hope to see you in some of the club event this year!

Ken
recce is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #125
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to let you know I am back and business as usual.

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #126
Orlin
Addicted to One
 
Orlin's Avatar
 
Drives: APR Stage 2+ Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to Orlin
cool, might give you a call and annoy you soon
Orlin is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #127
fly135
Private First Class
 
fly135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N55
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 135i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to let you know I am back and business as usual.

Cheers,

Adrian
Any updates on N55 tune.
fly135 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #128
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Any updates on N55 tune.
It is coming. I was working on it over there. I had the pleasure of driving around San Francisco a few days in a 135i N55 DCT, and it is a very nice car. It felt like it had more go stock than my N54 6MT 135I had stock, but maybe the shorter gearing just makes it feel that way. Anyway, we made alot of ground with it, but we still have some challenges so I am not going to quote a release date at this point. I will say that we got the CAN integration working very nicely, so expect similar features to what we are doing on the N54 in terms of dash integration etc.

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #129
fly135
Private First Class
 
fly135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N55
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 135i  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
It is coming. I was working on it over there. I had the pleasure of driving around San Francisco a few days in a 135i N55 DCT, and it is a very nice car. It felt like it had more go stock than my N54 6MT 135I had stock, but maybe the shorter gearing just makes it feel that way. Anyway, we made alot of ground with it, but we still have some challenges so I am not going to quote a release date at this point. I will say that we got the CAN integration working very nicely, so expect similar features to what we are doing on the N54 in terms of dash integration etc.

Cheers,

Adrian
Sweet, sounds good. I dont mind waiting longer if it means a better product.
fly135 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #130
pechs2k
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2007

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

recent version auto tune?

i hear the latest version of the procede automatically tunes the n54?

also, advise from a retailer of the powerchip believes this mod is not a good option for reasons around reliability and safety?

i want one! but theyve done a real good sales job on me as to why not!
pechs2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #131
Orlin
Addicted to One
 
Orlin's Avatar
 
Drives: APR Stage 2+ Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to Orlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechs2k View Post
i hear the latest version of the procede automatically tunes the n54?

also, advise from a retailer of the powerchip believes this mod is not a good option for reasons around reliability and safety?

i want one! but theyve done a real good sales job on me as to why not!

The only downside to the procede is that you need to install it yourself. If you live near Adrian then this is not an issue if its power you want then you will never beat a piggyback tune (procede / JB3). I have had an ECU reflash and the gains dont even compare.
Orlin is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #132
adrian@vishnu
Captain
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechs2k View Post
i hear the latest version of the procede automatically tunes the n54?

also, advise from a retailer of the powerchip believes this mod is not a good option for reasons around reliability and safety?

i want one! but theyve done a real good sales job on me as to why not!
Hi pechs2k,

Give me the sales pitch from powerchip... I want to know what they say that is bad.

Autotune has been one of the greatest features we have released. Customers cars are running better, and they don't need to work out how to optimise the tune. We have NO reliablity issues ever with several thousand Procedes out there, and cars are running safer and better on average with Autotune. Tell them to show me one car that has reliability issues with a Procede let alone with Autotune which is more safe.

You will regret getting the Powerchip... or you may not if you get the Procede!!

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian@vishnu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
procede, vishnu

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST