BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
135i Turbo Engine (N54 / N55) Engine/exhaust/intake/tune *General Questions Thread*

i dunno about you guys, i'm kinda sick of seeing the same 3 or 4 threads pop up every week such as:

-which exhaust is better?
-i got a cel?
-which intake is better?
-etc. etc. etc.

i'm by no way saying that i'm an n54 expert, i just figured having one thread to ask general questions in (that have been answered 999999999 times before) would be a good idea!

so, let the general questions begin. i'll try and stay on top of this thread. thanks!

Last edited by bryce; 11-09-2010 at 12:22 PM.
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
bump it up.


i'm sure someone wants to know if the bmw pe exhaust is better than the aa axle back, or if a certain event constitutes a hpfp failure



:wait:
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
GWitha135i
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Questions for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
bump it up.


i'm sure someone wants to know if the bmw pe exhaust is better than the aa axle back, or if a certain event constitutes a hpfp failure



:wait:
1. What companies are currently doing tunes for the N54, and the N55?
2. What is the best tune? (I know, loaded question)
3. Is the BMW Performance Tune, currently available for the N54, not the N55 really a cost effective option?
BMW Performance Power Kit (For Vehicles with M Bumper) $1,861.98 on the BMW Website
4. What are the differences in performance, sound, and cost for the different kinds of exhaust (axle back, turbo back, etc...)?

if you would like to dismiss this that's fine, but I have looked at this site enough to know these are common questions. It would be nice to make this a sticky and really get common questions/answers posted.

I do not envy the person that intends to keep this up to date
GWitha135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWitha135i View Post
1. What companies are currently doing tunes for the N54, and the N55?
2. What is the best tune? (I know, loaded question)
3. Is the BMW Performance Tune, currently available for the N54, not the N55 really a cost effective option?
BMW Performance Power Kit (For Vehicles with M Bumper) $1,861.98 on the BMW Website
4. What are the differences in performance, sound, and cost for the different kinds of exhaust (axle back, turbo back, etc...)?

if you would like to dismiss this that's fine, but I have looked at this site enough to know these are common questions. It would be nice to make this a sticky and really get common questions/answers posted.

I do not envy the person that intends to keep this up to date
1. burger motorsports (jb3), vishnu (procede v4), GIAC (stages 1-2+), cp-e (standback), a few other flash companies

2. i've used the jb+, jb3 18ohm, and now i'm running a procede v4. i'm happiest with the procede, it's so much smoother and includes tons of extra features. vishnu is about to release a naturally aspirated map for the v4, should you want better gas mileage on a long trip or commute. the v4 also is far more advanced than the jb3 and i'd argue it's safer. i think the best 2 tunes currently are the vishnu and GIAC. the cp-e standback is awesome, it allows custom tuning, which allows turbo swaps, fine tuning of afr/timing/etc. i think in the coming months/year or so, the standback will gain popularity as ar design is running this tune on their single turbo swapped n54.

3. bmw power kit is basically a very mild tune with much better cooling components. i don't think it's worth the money, but everyone's different

4. axle backs provide great sound, the true performance potential is realized in catless downpipes and catless midpipes. dp-back exhaust will yield the second most power exhaust wise, after catless downpipes. sound wise, it doesn't get much better than a fully catless exhaust with a resonator and good muffler (cp-e for the 135i, berk exhaust with catless downpipes).


and yes, i agree that combining all of our knowledge into one thread would make it much easier to search. i don't mind staying on top of this thread, i'm online all day at work, sometimes i get bored.
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
n55 tunes are limited to the jb3, various flash options, and the soon to be released procede v4. i'd say the v4 is probably going to be the best tuning option for the n55 for the next year or so, until GIAC or other companies step up for that platform. the n55 jb3 is kinda half-assed, like a mix between the jb+ and the jb3 for the n54
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
marvinp
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 358
iTrader: (0)

I'm looking for an aggressive sounding exhaust. Which exhaust would you recommend? What do you think of the Berk Racing Exhaust?
__________________
Montego blue BMW 135i with black interior, Sports Package, BMW Assist, and Comfort Access.

Ordered: 6/1/2009 | Built: 6/11/2009 | Shipped: 6/25/2009 | PCD: 7/27/2009
marvinp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
I'm looking for an aggressive sounding exhaust. Which exhaust would you recommend? What do you think of the Berk Racing Exhaust?
i'd highly recommend the berk race exhaust (catless midpipes, muffler delete rear section) if you want an aggressive exhaust.

2nd choice would be catless downpipes and the cp-e exhaust, non-resonated.

either way, they'll both sound beautiful and provide decent gains over the stock exhaust
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
devil's advocate- the horsepowerfreaks exhaust will be out soon, that may be the best exhaust option for the 135i
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
The N55 Procede V4 fro the N55 is avaialble now.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447512
awesome. i would HIGHLY recommend any n55 owners wanting more, safe power to invest in the v4. it's literally the best thing i've done to my car, or any cars in teh past
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
jsublime
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
devil's advocate- the horsepowerfreaks exhaust will be out soon, that may be the best exhaust option for the 135i
I've seen this posted before. Why is this going to be "the best"? Is this just based on HPF's reputation, or has someone actually seen / heard / have dyno results?

Great job!
__________________
jsublime is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
marvinp
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 358
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i'd highly recommend the berk race exhaust (catless midpipes, muffler delete rear section) if you want an aggressive exhaust.

2nd choice would be catless downpipes and the cp-e exhaust, non-resonated.

either way, they'll both sound beautiful and provide decent gains over the stock exhaust
Thanks! I'm not familiar with some of the lingo (such as catless downpipes), but this is what I was looking at buying: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...i-p-60891.html

Would I need to buy anything else? If so, what are the benefits?
__________________
Montego blue BMW 135i with black interior, Sports Package, BMW Assist, and Comfort Access.

Ordered: 6/1/2009 | Built: 6/11/2009 | Shipped: 6/25/2009 | PCD: 7/27/2009
marvinp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
JK135i
8:39
 
JK135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Posts: 674
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.75]
Send a message via Yahoo to JK135i
Ok, here's a question out of general curiosity:
I've seen countless posts and articles about the HPFP and all its problems, I understand that BMW has extended the warranty on that particular part. There seems to be a pretty strong aftermarket following for the N54, but why had no one developed a better fuel pump? I gather the stock one (when working properly) provides enough fuel to run a host of mods, but why continue to deal with the same problems over and over? Prior to buying my 135i I had a heavily modded Trans-Am and a modded turbo eclipse both of which i swapped fuel pumps before they had a chance to break. Maybe its just me but it makes more sense to spend a little bit of money on a reliable fuel pump instead of taking off mods going to the dealer then putting everything back on.
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
JK135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
11N55
First Lieutenant
 
11N55's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 379
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
Ok, here's a question out of general curiosity:
I've seen countless posts and articles about the HPFP and all its problems, I understand that BMW has extended the warranty on that particular part. There seems to be a pretty strong aftermarket following for the N54, but why had no one developed a better fuel pump? I gather the stock one (when working properly) provides enough fuel to run a host of mods, but why continue to deal with the same problems over and over? Prior to buying my 135i I had a heavily modded Trans-Am and a modded turbo eclipse both of which i swapped fuel pumps before they had a chance to break. Maybe its just me but it makes more sense to spend a little bit of money on a reliable fuel pump instead of taking off mods going to the dealer then putting everything back on.
^^^^^
__________________
Order Placed: October 25 | Production Complete: November 4 |En Route: November 16 | At Prep Center: December 2 | At Dealer: December 6
11N55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
I've seen this posted before. Why is this going to be "the best"? Is this just based on HPF's reputation, or has someone actually seen / heard / have dyno results?

Great job!
it's gonna be the most powerful exhaust, for one. hpf's reputation and what they do for the e46 m3 for two. and three, it's the only exhaust that will accomadate a single turbo conversion.....thinking ahead
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Thanks! I'm not familiar with some of the lingo (such as catless downpipes), but this is what I was looking at buying: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...i-p-60891.html

Would I need to buy anything else? If so, what are the benefits?
you don't want just he axle back. you want the downpipe-back exhaust. there's two choices, both of which come with the catless, resonated mid-pipes

option 1: muffler delete rear section. MUCH more aggressive sound level...sounds SICK

option 2: street rear section. still sounds sick, a little tamed down for everyday street use

either way, they're both great. here's a nice place to start looking
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
Ok, here's a question out of general curiosity:
I've seen countless posts and articles about the HPFP and all its problems, I understand that BMW has extended the warranty on that particular part. There seems to be a pretty strong aftermarket following for the N54, but why had no one developed a better fuel pump? I gather the stock one (when working properly) provides enough fuel to run a host of mods, but why continue to deal with the same problems over and over? Prior to buying my 135i I had a heavily modded Trans-Am and a modded turbo eclipse both of which i swapped fuel pumps before they had a chance to break. Maybe its just me but it makes more sense to spend a little bit of money on a reliable fuel pump instead of taking off mods going to the dealer then putting everything back on.
great question, i'm with you 100%! cp-e was in the process of designing and testing an aftermarket hpfp solution, but they've gone quiet about it. i think it's a tough market when you can get a free replacement pump for 120k miles as is.

the n54 is getting older, however, and more people are going out of warranty. i bet in the next year or so there will be better options in this regard.
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Thanks! I'm not familiar with some of the lingo (such as catless downpipes), but this is what I was looking at buying: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...i-p-60891.html

Would I need to buy anything else? If so, what are the benefits?
one other thing: downpipes! downpipes will add the most power for a bolt on. more than an exhaust, intercooler, intake, etc. (not a tune, however). if you don't live in california, you can run catless downpipes easily without worrying about emissions. i run AR design 3" downpipes, they were around $700. honestly though, you can buy a set of $150-200 downpipes and get almost the same level of perforamance

not to mention, the car sounds beastly with catless downpipes. just don't forget either a bms dpfix or run a procede. those are the only two ways you can run catless downpipes without throwing codes and CEL'S/SES's
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
JK135i
8:39
 
JK135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Posts: 674
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.75]
Send a message via Yahoo to JK135i
I sure hope so cause the warranty program in germany is a little shorter than the one in the states. I'm not sure about the HPFP since I had the car for a few months then left for afghanistan. Guess we'll see.
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
JK135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
I sure hope so cause the warranty program in germany is a little shorter than the one in the states. I'm not sure about the HPFP since I had the car for a few months then left for afghanistan. Guess we'll see.
gotcha. i bet eventually there will be a few aftermarket hpfp solutions.

btw- utmost respect for what you're doing in afghanistan. my younger brother's in the 101 airborne, he's been to iraq 3 times now
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
JK135i
8:39
 
JK135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Posts: 674
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.75]
Send a message via Yahoo to JK135i
Thanks, I can't go into detail but I work with SF.

I was planning on buying that berk setup, price is good, they fixed that french horn problem and give military discounts. yay for me!!! Then I found out HPF was putting out an exhaust and I know their products are awesome!
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
JK135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
Thanks, I can't go into detail but I work with SF.

I was planning on buying that berk setup, price is good, they fixed that french horn problem and give military discounts. yay for me!!! Then I found out HPF was putting out an exhaust and I know their products are awesome!
it's a tough choice for sure. i'm still on the stock exhaust for the time being. i'm probably pushing close to 400 whp and the exhaust hasn't interfered with that yet
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST