BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
mangledlftthumb
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (162 of 220)

Winter's coming

Two weeks w/ the new wheels.
Plan to drive it thru the winter w/ snows.
Do I need to do anything else to prepare for winter (besides changing the feet).
Example - wax the car, oil for rust-proofing ...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangledlftthumb View Post
Two weeks w/ the new wheels.
Plan to drive it thru the winter w/ snows.
Do I need to do anything else to prepare for winter (besides changing the feet).
Example - wax the car, oil for rust-proofing ...
The car already has rust proofing, so simply flush the underside with water periodically after accumulating salt & slush. If you haven't waxed it within three months, by all means do so - I've had good results with Zymol carnauba. If you track slush into the car, you might consider all-weather floor mats, and make sure you have plenty of windshield cleaner/de-icer in the reservoir.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

1. rain-x all windows and mirrors
2. carry a roll of "blue" painters tape.
why? when parking the car outdoors and weather calls for ice/snow/sleet, run a strip of tape along the bottom of the drivers side window/rubber seal. This will allow the window to drop when opening the door.........................and(very important) it will allow you to shut the door when getting in the car.
I have heard horror stories about this. Have not experienced yet(135i has been a garage queen) but, just sold my A4 quattro.
So...........head the warning
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Question

[QUOTE=Cuz5150;8292135]1. rain-x all windows and mirrors
2. carry a roll of "blue" painters tape.
why? when parking the car outdoors and weather calls for ice/snow/sleet, run a strip of tape along the bottom of the drivers side window/rubber seal. This will allow the window to drop when opening the door.........................and(very important) it will allow you to shut the door when getting in the car.

To OP, yes by all means get the car thoroughly cleaned, clayed if you can and then use a good sealant and then a couple coats of wax on top. When I get back to states, I will remove the wheels and seal the winter wheels, [summer ones as well before putting into storage.] as I want salt to slide off for as long as possible. This winter am going to try 303 Protectant in wheel wells, as it sprays on wet and dry clear as a "slider barrier" in wells to salt and general winter muck. I got some the WeatherTech floor mats, the deep well kind which have done wonders in my wife's X3 in winter. Contain all the slush etc...most ones just let tooo much leak/run off left side thus staining carpet. Just a little extra for a better protection. I recco also a good feeding of the leather seats for winter cold and the rainy/snowy stuff that gets in no matter how careful. It's a car yes, it has to be out, but it can be protected.

Re: the painters tape?? I am sooo curious about this...I hope someone will enlighten me on this: re: droping the window?? does this mean its not sealed and thus stresses the rubber seal?? and then helps closing the door?? Could anyone further enlighten me? I love tips on car care but this one slips by me real quick. Bests to both...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

The tape will prevent the window from freezing to the rubber seal. When it does freeze, the window won't drop the 1/4" or so when you open the door and consequently you won't be able to close the door. This can also damage the window motor.

I use another trick. I carry a small plastic putty knife in my jacket pocket and run it between the window and seal before I open the door when there's frost on the car.
Appreciate 0