E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > RANT: official hater of rain-sensing wipers. I am bringing my e90 in for service.

11-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
RANT: official hater of rain-sensing wipers. I am bringing my e90 in for service.

ok. thats it. Some of you might noticed that I have been complaining about rain-sensing wipers since day 1 I got this car.

Well, this is getting on my nerves EVEN MORE. As its raining everyday here, my anger and disappointment regarding this ridiculous feature is getting bigger and bigger. I have to deal with rain season here in oregon for another 4~6months and I just can't stand this anymore.

Yesterday, I almost crashed because of the stupid rain sensing wiper. This isn't the first time. Past few days its been raining here badly, and there were several occasions where I just wanted to get out of the car and just rip the wipers off the car because I was so frustrated with how it operates.

I am not even going to start with how it works during light rain situation(drizzling). It works like crap during pretty bad shower condition also. I had my sensitivity to max this time because it was raining so badly. It was at night, and it was very hard to see. I noticed my wipers sometimes go slower when it really shouldn't(cause its pouring, cars around me are just practically spraying water directly at my car. visibility = 50%?). There must be something wrong with the stupid sensor. At one point, it didn't wipe for full 1~2 seconds and I thought it was over for me. I was so damn scared, cause I COMPLETELY lost visibility for a second or two. When you are going 45mph(55mph zone) on the highway during rainy days, losing visibility for 1~2seconds can just get you killed right away.

I had my girlfriend in the car, she freaked out and almost cried. :mad: I am sick of this stupid death-sensing wipers, and calling dealership tomorrow for service. I just have zero confidence driving my E90 during rainy days. Its like trying to drive with something in your eyes bothering you the whole time.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

p.s: Did anyone experience the following example?

Ex. When the road condition is "bright", it works good. but when all of sudden road turns dark(no other cars on the road, no lights at all around the road), it seems like the sensor "pauses" for a moment and doesn't work. Then it finally detects that "its raining" again and starts wiping again.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
dude lux. sorry to hear that man. hope it gets sorted out at the dealer.
      11-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You can still turn them on "high", right?

The sensor must be bad. Hope it all works out. This is my second bimmer with the RSW, and I love them.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Dude - before you hurt someone and ruin the relationship with your girlfriend...try Rain-X.
      11-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

i understand your frustration but if it was pouring you could've used the fastest wiper speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
ABR
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Isn't it optical device? I was told it is reacting on drops of water (counts them). I didn't drive at night in rain as yet, but it seems that your sensor doesn't work in the dark (?)

I think that is good idea to check in with service.
      11-13-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

lux, sounds like you have a bad sensor. Your wipers shouldn't be acting that irratically. Mine works great and definitely not like the ones on your car. Hope they fix it quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that Lux, hopefully the dealer will sort out the problem for you this time. Rain isn't really here yet in the bay area so I haven't really had the chance to test those rain-sensing wipers.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for kind words guys. I will update you guys on how it goes.
Brighter side is, when the wipers wipe, it wipes crystal clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti
i understand your frustration but if it was pouring you could've used the fastest wiper speed.
Rain-sensor was adjusted to max, and it was wiping as fast as it could(same speed as fastest wiper speed). Its just that randomly it would slow down on its own and cause visibility problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connermd
Dude - before you hurt someone and ruin the relationship with your girlfriend...try Rain-X.
I have Rain-X, used it for a year with my previous car.
Heard few people complaining about how it turns the window to nasty yellow color later on, so I didn't use it on my BMW.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
I had my girlfriend in the car, she freaked out and almost cried.
Not to be a dick, but if you are getting this worked up over the windshield wipers on your car, I think you have some issues that no BMW dealership is ever going to solve.

Have a Paxil for christ sakes...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #11
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Not to be a dick, but if you are getting this worked up over the windshield wipers on your car, I think you have some issues that no BMW dealership is ever going to solve.

Have a Paxil for christ sakes...
I have to say, you wouldn't say that when this happens to you.
Why don't you try taking a paxil after you nearly got in an accident and endangered a life of your loved one, because of stupid wiper sensor?

I understand though. you did admit you are "the board's resident asshole" in E90POST frappr map.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #12
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Why don't you try taking a paxil after you nearly got in an accident and endangered a life of your loved one, because of stupid wiper sensor?
You know, I have had some shitty wiper problems in my day and you know what? They have never once caused me enough grief to cause the sort of situation where they would have been a contributing factor in a lethal accident.

If your situational awareness is so low that a boo boo with the automatic wiper sensor might cause a problem, you need to have a serious reevaluation of your driving style.

But what the hell do I know? You're the expert who needed DSC to save his ass on a right hand turn from a dead stop...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You know, I have had some shitty wiper problems in my day and you know what? They have never once caused me enough grief to cause the sort of situation where they would have been a contributing factor in a lethal accident.

If your situational awareness is so low that a boo boo with the automatic wiper sensor might cause a problem, you need to have a serious reevaluation of your driving style.

But what the hell do I know? You're the expert who needed DSC to save his ass on a right hand turn from a dead stop...
And of course, I was actually waiting for you to bring up DSC comment. Board's resident asshole can't just let it go without putting down someone.

Zen, again, thank you for your kind advices. I will reconsider my driving style.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
im going to laugh if you 2 live like a block from each other...lol
      11-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #15
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

Mine works great, and it adjusts speed depends on the rain level.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #16
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep

Quote:
Zen, again, thank you for your kind advices.
Since when was I ever kind?

Eh... I'll buy a beer sometime. Ever hang out in the Pearl?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #17
Guess
BlackBerry King
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
I have had issues with the rain sensing wiper as well. Its doenst have a medium, its sometime too sensitive, and sometimes over sensitive. Just cant get it right. I am also mad at the fact, that since the car doesnt come with a feature to not use the rain sensing wiper, why isnt it on at startup? It should be on so i wouldnt NEED to turn on my wipers.

I had a 2004 Mazda 3 fully loaded before this vehicle, and it has rain sensing wipers which were just perfect. Always got it right, the first time, never had an issue in dusk or dawn. and was on always if i left it in the on position.

Thats the only feature (besides the color) that i miss off that vehicle.
      11-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #18
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by connermd
I use rain-x, i put 2 or 3 applications and it really helps!!! Supplement your RSW with this tratment.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #19
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
puck, shut up man. jk.

Quote:
Since when was I ever kind?

Eh... I'll buy a beer sometime. Ever hang out in the Pearl?
hey, speaking of rain issues, i'll take a raincheck on that one.
I know ZenD is all nice and warm inside. Just a little mean outside.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #20
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey lux,

Can we take a step back from your rain sensor issue.

The rain sensor wipers should only be used during light rain/drizzle. Ok so your car seems to have a problem there. Lets not even discuss that now.

But you MUST use the continuous wipers at either the standard speed or fast speed for ongoing rain. This disables the rain sensor for increased safety.

Now if you are having problems with those setting, then you certainly have a grievance and as you have already stated you are going to fast track it to the service department and they should attend to it pronto as it is a MAJOR safety issue.

Perhaps you have misunderstood the limitations or use of the rain sensor. Or maybe I have not understood your post. Nevertheless I am glad that you and your girlfriend are ok.

All the best and I hope you sort out the wipers problems quickly.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:33 AM   #21
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thanks david.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
Perhaps you have misunderstood the limitations or use of the rain sensor.
this could be true. After all, I only hit 1200miles with my baby. Still need more time to get used to.

Listening to you guys made me calm. whew. Thank you all.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:43 AM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Great to know.

I agree, the board is the VERY best place to go for undoubtedly the best assistance for all of us.

Take care.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0