BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Nitto NT01 tires (245f/275r) on APEX ARC-8 wheels

Thought I would throw up some pics of NT01 tires on the APEX ARC-8 wheels. I am putting this in the track/autocross section as NT01 are r-comps tires. See below for tire/wheel/suspension details.

There is some minor rubbing on the inside liners and the fenders. The NT01 does not come in the desired aspect ratio in the 245 and 275 widths so that is no doubt part of the problem.

A test on the street revealed noise (rubbing) only on severe dips and speed bumps. I believe that was coming from the front where the tires were rubbing on the tab that sticks out on the fender. You see the tab and the paint rubbed off on the pic below. I will likely try to dremel it down.

At the autocross, the tires sidewalls get a lot more deflection than on the street. I also had full wheel lock with the tires under load. The result is that there is some rubbing on the inside liner and fender on both front and rear tires. Nothing is serious except for the rubbing on the tab issue I found with my street test.

One of my worries was that the front wheel with the new ET45 offset would cause the run-wider-than-245 r-comp tires to rub on the strut. But they do not. My other worry was that the larger-than-stock diameter tires would rub on the front fender liner. They do, but so minor it is barely worth mentioning.

Wheels:
f: 18x8.5" ET45 APEX ARC-8
r: 18x9.5" ET62 APEX ARC-8

Tires:
f: 245/40/18 Nitto NT01
r: 275/35/18 Nitto NT01

Car:
2008 E88 135i convertible with mild fender roll (front and rear)

Suspension:
-stock springs and shocks
-E9x M3 tension rods and wishbones (front and rear)
-M3 subframe bushings
-Vorshlag camber plates
-E93 front sway bar
-E92 rear sway bar

Camber:
f: -2.5*
r: -1.5*

Pic 1: left fender tab that is causing rub
pic 2: left front inside rubbing
pic 3: right front inside rubbing
pic 4: left rear inside rubbing
pic 5: right rear inside rubbing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I have the same wheels and same tires, except I went with a 235/40 in front. 245/40 is *way* too wide. I had rubbing on the front fender and rear chassis with my setup. Here's how I cured it:

1. More camber up front eliminated the fender tab rub with my 235s. I'm not sure you'll be able to dial enough in with 245s as you might hit the spring.

2. Add a 5mm spacer in back and you won't hit the chassis in the front of the rear wheel well. Also, adjustable tow links will allow you more adjustability with respect to toe and camber. Velocity Motorcars makes some, but if you can find better quality ones elsewhere, go that route, as it's not really rocket science. The ends on my VM ones were shot after 6 months, so I had my shop put better quality ends on them, and I've had no issues since.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Be careful with the rear. I saw a member chew right through the fuel fill tube.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Be careful with the rear. I saw a member chew right through the fuel fill tube.
That rubbing was due to excessive lowering of the car in combination with the tall/wide 275's in the rear, and it was resolved by raising the coilover ride height to a more normal level.
      05-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
That rubbing was due to excessive lowering of the car in combination with the tall/wide 275's in the rear, and it was resolved by raising the coilover ride height to a more normal level.
yes it was, however the member is rubbing on the inside already so it was worth mentioning, another funny thing, you notice anything about the front fender lining in his pics? Looks like its not my wheels after all....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
yes it was, however the member is rubbing on the inside already so it was worth mentioning, another funny thing, you notice anything about the front fender lining in his pics? Looks like its not my wheels after all....
He's running a 245/40/18 r-compound on a wide wheel. I've never recommended this combo to anyone looking for a rub free fit, and the OP and I had a discussion in person about the type of rubbing that would be experienced up front. We both decided that for his application, that rubbing would be an acceptable trade off for his autocross only wheel/tire package. This would be big issue if it were for street use.
      05-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Doesnt matter if its street/track, you and your fanclub specifically implied my wheels were the cause. Just wanted to point out that its not the wheel like I said all along. Nothing else
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
I have the same wheels and same tires, except I went with a 235/40 in front. 245/40 is *way* too wide. I had rubbing on the front fender and rear chassis with my setup. Here's how I cured it:

1. More camber up front eliminated the fender tab rub with my 235s. I'm not sure you'll be able to dial enough in with 245s as you might hit the spring.
I am on stock springs/shocks so the most I can get out of my camber plate is -2.5*. Wish I could get more but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
2. Add a 5mm spacer in back and you won't hit the chassis in the front of the rear wheel well. Also, adjustable tow links will allow you more adjustability with respect to toe and camber. Velocity Motorcars makes some, but if you can find better quality ones elsewhere, go that route, as it's not really rocket science. The ends on my VM ones were shot after 6 months, so I had my shop put better quality ends on them, and I've had no issues since.
The rear tires will rub on the fender with a 5mm spacer. They are just touching the fender where it was rolled so a spacer would not do much. The rub on the inside is not great but it is not rubbing on the strut or the subframe. Not a big deal if it rubs a bit of the foam away.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Doesnt matter if its street/track, you and your fanclub specifically implied my wheels were the cause. Just wanted to point out that its not the wheel like I said all along. Nothing else
In your thread I commented on your narrow wheels and how they're not optimal for tire width you have. I was not saying that a wider wheel would eliminate the rub. You misinterpreted the posts, and it went south from there.

I agree with your statement in the above post. Your wheel width is not the cause of rubbing. It's the 245/40/18 that is the problem. You have to deal with some kind of rubbing with them as you attempt to figure out the best offset to make them work with the least problem. For some a little rubbing, or headache to get it rub free can be worth it. For others it's not acceptable.

Out of respect of the OP, and for keeping this thread on topic, I won't discuss your specific issue further in this thread.
      05-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
He's running a 245/40/18 r-compound on a wide wheel. I've never recommended this combo to anyone looking for a rub free fit, and the OP and I had a discussion in person about the type of rubbing that would be experienced up front. We both decided that for his application, that rubbing would be an acceptable trade off for his autocross only wheel/tire package. This would be big issue if it were for street use.
Yep. Eddy and I discussed running the larger r-comps up front and he did not recommend it if I was looking for a rub free experience. I decided to give it a try to see as I was not aware of anyone else trying it yet. Someone had to be the first.

These are only for track/autox. If they were for day-to-day use on the crappy roads we have here in California I would not have gone with a 245/40 or 275/35 tire.

note that these r-comps (and most r-comps) are wider than what is printed on the tire. So it would be difficult to extrapolate these results to street tires. R888 tires in the same size are even wider/taller than the NT01. So I think the widest you could go with R888 would be 235/265. I may try them after the NT01 are done with.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

My nt05 in the same size up front are actually taller then the your nt01, slightly more narrow though. We are talking about less then .1 of an inch
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In your thread I commented on your narrow wheels and how they're not optimal for tire width you have. I was not saying that a wider wheel would eliminate the rub. You misinterpreted the posts, and it went south from there.

I agree with your statement in the above post. Your wheel width is not the cause of rubbing. It's the 245/40/18 that is the problem. You have to deal with some kind of rubbing with them as you attempt to figure out the best offset to make them work with the least problem. For some a little rubbing, or headache to get it rub free can be worth it. For others it's not acceptable.

Out of respect of the OP, and for keeping this thread on topic, I won't discuss your specific issue further in this thread.
my issues are gone once I installed the 5 mm spacers. I daily drive the car. 50k in two years and no issues aside from the initial test fit. However I never rubbed on the inside front or rear like the op does. A simple 5 mm spacers all around will cure 90 percent of his issues
Appreciate 0