BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #89
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England

Posts: 202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
I think that is where the problem is in some peoples minds. The engine has the same turbos, same cams, same head, same CR, etc etc. So, short of a miracle the end results will be the same as with any other N54.
Nothing wrong with the N54 (aside from the historic Fuel Pump reliability). I'd settle for a BMW sanctioned Perforamnce Upgrade for the 1M.

Remember this? - I think it's coming...


http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457707
1Mer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #90
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
No doubt about it, and that is part of the reason why a good LSD is on my short list of mods. I've taken care of traction other than that. The 1-Series M will always have a big advantage due to it's wider stance, and there isn't anything that I want to do about that on my car.

With humor I still must say that the only proof I have to back it up is based off of the evidence gathered from the engine in my 135i that carries the same N54 designation.
Just think with the money you will spend on suspension, tires, LSD, etc. you could have had a 1M.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #91
clived
Captain
 
clived's Avatar
 
Drives: Evolved 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You keep saying it is the same but don't supply any proof to back it up.

To keep you happy, lets put this to rest and say the engine is EXACTLY the same so a tuned 1m and a tuned 135 will have the same power output. The 1M is better equipped to put the power to the ground which all that counts.
My view is that a tuned 1M and a tuned N54 135i will make the same power. The 1M is slightly lighter (right?) and has the lightened flywheel, so will have marginally better power to weight, better throttle response, and of course potentially better traction if the surface doesn't offer optimal grip. So it's very likely to be faster. A tiny tiny bit faster.

What it isn't going to do is handle better or be more fun. Which is why I'm moving from tuned 135i to 1M.

Out of curiousity MrRoboto, the burden of proof could lie in the other direction - what proof is there that the 1M engine isn't the same as the N54 135i? I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I haven't seen actual proof, only some words on my laptop screen.
__________________
2011+: VO 1M Coupe, many toys, Evolve Stage 3. 2008-2011: 135i M Sport Le Mans Blue / Lemon / HGSL. Comfort Access, Auto−Dim, Elec Seats + Memory, Lumbar & Heating, PDC F+R, Xenons + Adaptive, Cruise, Nav Pro + Assist & Online, Voice Control, Bluetooth, DAB,6 Disc, Prof Hi−Fi (L7), USB/audio interface, BMW Performance Carbon Fibre interior, Evolve OBD remap - 390bhp. Also in the family: Land Rover Defender 50th Anniversary 4.0 V8, 11 Mercedes E Class Cabriolet Sport.
clived is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #92
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
My view is that a tuned 1M and a tuned N54 135i will make the same power. The 1M is slightly lighter (right?) and has the lightened flywheel, so will have marginally better power to weight, better throttle response, and of course potentially better traction if the surface doesn't offer optimal grip. So it's very likely to be faster. A tiny tiny bit faster.

What it isn't going to do is handle better or be more fun. Which is why I'm moving from tuned 135i to 1M.

Out of curiousity MrRoboto, the burden of proof could lie in the other direction - what proof is there that the 1M engine isn't the same as the N54 135i? I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I haven't seen actual proof, only some words on my laptop screen.
My proof comment was tongue in cheek, as neither side has absolute proof weather the complete engine is or isn't exactly the same however every review I have seen mentioned a tweaked intake and exhaust.

And dont forget the drivetrain...the 1M has a higher final drive ratio.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #93
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
 
1SerieStud's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 3,714
iTrader: (8)

You are actually correct - despite my 10 years of force-induction experience, including swapping/building engines as well components, I am new to the way the e82's get tuned. It appears that there is quite a bit of more technology involved (which as a computer engineer I am happy to see ). Your explanation combined with those of others as to how these piggy backs work make perfect sense. Thanks for sharing the knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
1seriesstud: You thought this whole time that piggyback tunes on 135i's stacked??? Ok now I know you are new to the E82 tuning world Just messing with you...but like the others have said they do NOT stack but instead fool the car into thinking it has lower boost and then adjusting timing and other parameters to run at what the boost level actually is.....JB4, Procede both do it although in slightly different ways (an entire argument on its own). Will a tuned 135i with piggyback and full exhaust and IC mods be fast in a straight line? You bet your ass it will...esp. if they both hook up off the line properly...no way a retooled intake, exhaust, flywheel, and LSD beats my car with 60-70 more WHP and 70-80 more lb/ft of torque.
__________________
'08 e90 M3
1SerieStud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #94
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Just think with the money you will spend on suspension, tires, LSD, etc. you could have had a 1M.

But I only paid $34,800 + Title on my 2009
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #95
clived
Captain
 
clived's Avatar
 
Drives: Evolved 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Your explanation combined with those of others as to how these piggy backs work make perfect sense. Thanks for sharing the knowledge


Makes me happy to be a forum user
__________________
2011+: VO 1M Coupe, many toys, Evolve Stage 3. 2008-2011: 135i M Sport Le Mans Blue / Lemon / HGSL. Comfort Access, Auto−Dim, Elec Seats + Memory, Lumbar & Heating, PDC F+R, Xenons + Adaptive, Cruise, Nav Pro + Assist & Online, Voice Control, Bluetooth, DAB,6 Disc, Prof Hi−Fi (L7), USB/audio interface, BMW Performance Carbon Fibre interior, Evolve OBD remap - 390bhp. Also in the family: Land Rover Defender 50th Anniversary 4.0 V8, 11 Mercedes E Class Cabriolet Sport.
clived is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #96
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
Nothing wrong with the N54 (aside from the historic Fuel Pump reliability). I'd settle for a BMW sanctioned Perforamnce Upgrade for the 1M.

Remember this? - I think it's coming...


http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457707

Now that would be a monster. I remember that thread. Some speculation on another board was that it had two "twin-Power N55 style turbos". But I don't think that they will fit, so that was ruled out.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #97
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Lets just fix all of this conjecture and guessing:

Piston Rings:

135i: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=20

1M coupe http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=20


INTAKE

135i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=13&fg=20

1M coupe

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=13&fg=20

FLYWHEEL

135i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=20

1M coupe

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=20

Not going to list the exhaust here as that is OBVIOUSLY different(including the midpipe...just not from a visual standpoint...but it does have a different part #) This is just to prove what IS and ISN'T different for those that may want to know
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #98
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Lets just fix all of this conjecture and guessing:

Piston Rings:

135i: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=20

1M coupe http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=20


INTAKE

135i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=13&fg=20

1M coupe

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=13&fg=20

FLYWHEEL

135i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=20

1M coupe

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=20

Not going to list the exhaust here as that is OBVIOUSLY different(including the midpipe...just not from a visual standpoint...but it does have a different part #) This is just to prove what IS and ISN'T different for those that may want to know


It all looks the same. The 1-Series M is using the latest hardware the was found on the 12/09 and later N54 engine.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #99
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
It all looks the same. The 1-Series M is using the latest hardware the was found on the 12/09 and later N54 engine.
Sorry the flywheel is NOT the same...and neither is the exhaust.....piston rings look to be the same as well as the intake muffler and manifold...I didn't look at all the part numbers for the piping to and from the intake though that would be minor (or would it?)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #100
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

135i flywheel - 21207590942
1 Series M flywheel - 21207590942

Not sure what part numbers you are looking at...

intake snorkle is the same as well. All same..Latest parts found on >2009 N54 engines
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #101
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
But I only paid $34,800 + Title on my 2009
Even at 35k, with 1k in tires, ~3k for lsd, 2k in suspension you are ~5k from the 1m.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #102
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Even at 35k, with 1k in tires, ~3k for lsd, 2k in suspension you are ~5k from the 1m.

Last time I checked though, $5,000 was pretty substantial. And the suspension would likely be better than what comes on the M.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #103
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
135i flywheel - 21207590942
1 Series M flywheel - 21207590942

Not sure what part numbers you are looking at...

intake snorkle is the same as well. All same..Latest parts found on >2009 N54 engines
Sorry I stand corrected....I misread the 135i page...apparently the flywheel was changed on later model (Jan '09) N54's....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #104
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Certainly not going to take realoems word for it.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #105
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Last time I checked though, $5,000 was pretty substantial. And the suspension would likely be better than what comes on the M.
5k substantial to you you maybe. For the additional components you get with the 1M it is well worth it.

I have aftermarket suspension on my 135 and it certainly lacks on the track.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #106
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

The 2009 and later FW is actually a pretty good part for an OE peice. There are better aftermarket parts, but for a OE part it isn't something that I can see the engineers saying...lets make that better...and not sacrifice longevity.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #107
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
5k substantial to you you maybe.

I have aftermarket suspension on my 135 and it certainly lacks on the track.


I think 5K is substantial from a modding standpoint. And trust me, that isn't substantial to my check book. My point is, what else could I do for the remaining $5K. FWIW I have the title to my 1'er, and I just bought it in September.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #108
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
$2k in suspension and better than the 1M?? Sorry I have to raise the BS flag there....KW V1 suspension alone is ~$1200 and that is only height adjustable...if you go for something like AST or TC Kline you can up the price a good bit...and that is just for coilovers....then you have the swaybar, endlinks, wishbones, bushings, etc, etc...and that is another $2k at least just for parts....and then you have the wider track...so suspension-wise I don't think it could be "better"....close to the M i could accept...better I cannot...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #109
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
 
JHOOPS2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 890
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
$2k in suspension and better than the 1M?? Sorry I have to raise the BS flag there....KW V1 suspension alone is ~$1200 and that is only height adjustable...if you go for something like AST or TC Kline you can up the price a good bit...and that is just for coilovers....then you have the swaybar, endlinks, wishbones, bushings, etc, etc...and that is another $2k at least just for parts....and then you have the wider track...so suspension-wise I don't think it could be "better"....close to the M i could accept...better I cannot...
So you are saying that the M suspension is the best you can get? Also, I'm not the one that threw the $2,000 suspension figure out. Which is why I noted, imagine what else could be done for the remaining $5K, which would make the total suspension estimate equal to $7K. Who knows, I might end up with a 1-series M one day.
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.

Last edited by JHOOPS2; 05-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.
JHOOPS2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #110
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
So you are saying that the M suspension is the best you can get? Also, I'm not the one that threw the $2,000 suspension figure out. Which is why I noted, imagine what else could be done for the remaining $5K, which would make the total suspension estimate equal to $7K. Who knows, I might end up with a 1-series M one day.
No what I am saying is that $2k will not get you a suspension on par with the 1M (even without having driven the 1M) because the parts on the 1M, which are by and large taken from the M3, would cost over $2k on their own...PARTs ONLY.....and I dare say it would end up costing you over $5k.
This isn't justifying buying a 1M if you already have a tuned 135i (like myself...)...but saying that it would cost you a good amount of money to do and may not be worth it, for new buyers especially...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST