BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #243
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
3
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: Lancer Evolution 9 MR
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys,

I have been looking for rims for the 1-er for hours a week and I just honestly can't find anything I love. The SF71s looked awesome in prototype and they lost way too much concavity and IMO aren't even the same rim. Been looking at 18" VB3 and V710 in +40/+45 but feel that the VB3 won't have enough concavity and the 710 in a lot of photos looks like way too much is going on, as if there is a sword fight happening.

I am looking for the most concaved rim in 18" in this type of category rim SF71, VB3, GT-R, etc etc. I know many of you are wheel/tire guru's and have been doing this not only on 1-ers but on many cars and might have some ideas for me. The best solution I have right now is VB3 in +40/+45 but I feel like that really isn't very concaved.

I am coming from a 2006 Evo 9 with a +22 Advan RS and the concavity is just absolutely bonerific, I can't even imagine seeing some of the rims in real life I see on M3s on the forums, the concavity is unreal.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #244
thez99
Colonel
thez99's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,583
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i Auto
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 135i  [3.00]
Send a message via AIM to thez99
18" VMR 701's
__________________

= ER Chargepipe/HKS BOV = Maddad Whisper Axle-back exhaust = Maddad resonted 3" midpipes = BMS DCI = HPF FMIC - 18" vmr 701's with Michelin PSS tires - M3 front sway == Coming soon? = M3 front suspension bits - rear m3 subframe bushings - BMW Perf Suspension - IC rear diffusor and spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #245
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
3
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: Lancer Evolution 9 MR
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I don't think that spoke design looks good on our cars at all honestly... I know those are really similar to my Advans which is why I assume you said that. If anyone has some advice for me, shoot me a PM. I shouldn't flutter this post with ongoing talk but figured a lot of wheel guru's check in here.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #246
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2014 VW Passat  [0.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD2RWD View Post
Hey guys,

I have been looking for rims for the 1-er for hours a week and I just honestly can't find anything I love. The SF71s looked awesome in prototype and they lost way too much concavity and IMO aren't even the same rim. Been looking at 18" VB3 and V710 in +40/+45 but feel that the VB3 won't have enough concavity and the 710 in a lot of photos looks like way too much is going on, as if there is a sword fight happening.

I am looking for the most concaved rim in 18" in this type of category rim SF71, VB3, GT-R, etc etc. I know many of you are wheel/tire guru's and have been doing this not only on 1-ers but on many cars and might have some ideas for me. The best solution I have right now is VB3 in +40/+45 but I feel like that really isn't very concaved.

I am coming from a 2006 Evo 9 with a +22 Advan RS and the concavity is just absolutely bonerific, I can't even imagine seeing some of the rims in real life I see on M3s on the forums, the concavity is unreal.
Advice...buy a 1M lol, I was in the same boat as you, I have just come to grip that you can't have your cake and eat it to. My gunmetal SF-71s just came in today, not sure if I am keeping them..they look better in person I will say, but not as concave as the 3 series offsets..and for good reason, you can't fit them in our narrow fenders. If you want super concave then plan on rolling your fenders and purchasing a wheel w/ offsets for the 3, plus neg. camber. You will most likely compromise on the amount of tire you can fit.

The SF-71 might be the most concave 19 for our car. and people are fitting 265s in the rear, something you wouldn't want to do on the VMR CSL

FTR fav. wheel is the ADVAN RS, and the look-a-like 701s, both with are not ideal for the 1...but you can make it work. They way the wheel is design it makes it seem more concave then it is
__________________
///1M #643 of #740 / Ohlins R&T / AR Design catless DPs / N55 Mids / HPF OCC / ER CP / BMWP Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #247
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
3
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: Lancer Evolution 9 MR
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the reply man. That really does suck.I could get a wide body :P but I wouldn't do that because I expect to sell this car within 1.5 years for an M3 / GTR aslong as my business ventures go as planned.

I'm very dissapointed with the options for the 1-er (i know its not the vendor's problem but the car itself) -- something I definitely over looked when deciding on a 135 over a 335.... I know exactly what you mean about the 701s, same thing I feel with the 710s, they look more concaved than the VB3 but the truth is it's just designed to stick out and then in so it looks concaved hehe.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #248
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,414
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Specs:
- VMR 701 wheels in Matte Black
- 19x8.5 up front, 19x9.5 in the rear
- Tires are Hankook V12's
- 225/35/19 tires up front, 245/35/19 in the rear
- Suspension is stock

***No rubbing when driving by myself or with 1 passenger up front. VERY minor rubbing on the passenger-side rear when carrying a heavy passenger in the backseat, but not enough to damage the car or tire.


Pics:

1.

DSC_0381e by amnPhotography, on Flickr


2.

DSC_0415e by amnPhotography, on Flickr


3.

DSC_0422e by amnPhotography, on Flickr
__________________

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #249
adrean8j
Brigadier General
adrean8j's Avatar
No_Country
53
Rep
4,071
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
^^^Got a pic from the passenger side rear? Just like the last pic above but reversed?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #250
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2014 VW Passat  [0.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD2RWD View Post
Thanks for the reply man. That really does suck.I could get a wide body :P but I wouldn't do that because I expect to sell this car within 1.5 years for an M3 / GTR aslong as my business ventures go as planned.

I'm very dissapointed with the options for the 1-er (i know its not the vendor's problem but the car itself) -- something I definitely over looked when deciding on a 135 over a 335.... I know exactly what you mean about the 701s, same thing I feel with the 710s, they look more concaved than the VB3 but the truth is it's just designed to stick out and then in so it looks concaved hehe.

It's something we must give up, but I feel worth it...A wider body would be sweet, Dan@united can set up for about 3k ...1m fenders and such.

My local shop told me: if you are looking for performace, start w/ tires and then choose wheels, if its looks, start w/ wheels and then look for tires with the right fitments.

I think the VMR wheels look good, just run a 245 or a slim 255 in the rear and you will be fine, remember, just about anything you do will be better than the stock tires IMO
__________________
///1M #643 of #740 / Ohlins R&T / AR Design catless DPs / N55 Mids / HPF OCC / ER CP / BMWP Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #251
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2014 VW Passat  [0.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Specs:
- VMR 701 wheels in Matte Black
- 19x8.5 up front, 19x9.5 in the rear
- Tires are Hankook V12's
- 225/35/19 tires up front, 245/35/19 in the rear
- Suspension is stock

***No rubbing when driving by myself or with 1 passenger up front. VERY minor rubbing on the passenger-side rear when carrying a heavy passenger in the backseat, but not enough to damage the car or tire.


Pics:

1.

DSC_0381e by amnPhotography, on Flickr


2.

DSC_0415e by amnPhotography, on Flickr


3.

DSC_0422e by amnPhotography, on Flickr
Looks $!
__________________
///1M #643 of #740 / Ohlins R&T / AR Design catless DPs / N55 Mids / HPF OCC / ER CP / BMWP Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #252
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,414
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
^^^Got a pic from the passenger side rear? Just like the last pic above but reversed?

I just got a new diffuser for the car, will be taking pics once that is installed tomorrow morning. I'll take a picture from that angle, and show the markings on the tire from the rubbing. Like I said, no damage was done to the tire, I could just see the markings where the tire was a little shinnier than the rest because of the fender. I never heard it rubbing, but my brother sitting back there said he did.

My brother is a big muscle-bound guy, so its no surprise that it rubbed a little.
__________________

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #253
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
3
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: Lancer Evolution 9 MR
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
It's something we must give up, but I feel worth it...A wider body would be sweet, Dan@united can set up for about 3k ...1m fenders and such.

My local shop told me: if you are looking for performace, start w/ tires and then choose wheels, if its looks, start w/ wheels and then look for tires with the right fitments.

I think the VMR wheels look good, just run a 245 or a slim 255 in the rear and you will be fine, remember, just about anything you do will be better than the stock tires IMO
It's not the rear concavity im worried about, all these rims look bad upfront imo, there is almost no concavity on an 8.5" rim with a high offset. It's just lame to have your front have no concave and your rear have good concave. That's really my issue. If I could have the same concavity as the rear in the front i'd be happy enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #254
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
8
Rep
688
Posts

 
Drives: E87 130i Hatch
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Qld, Australia

iTrader: (0)

VMR701
Front: 18x8.5 +45 w/ 225/40
Rear: 18x9.5 +45 w/ 245/35

Stock "M-Sport" suspension, no clearance issues at all, probably could go a bigger rear tyre but no one has really done this on a 1er hatch





__________________
Do it properly the first time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #255
Hobdul
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Nice! The hatch looks really good. My wife is jealous of Europeans, since we can't get the 1er hatch here in the States.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #256
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
8
Rep
688
Posts

 
Drives: E87 130i Hatch
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Qld, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobdul View Post
Nice! The hatch looks really good. My wife is jealous of Europeans, since we can't get the 1er hatch here in the States.
better add australians to the list of people she is jealus of then!
__________________
Do it properly the first time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #257
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
10,076
Posts

 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
better add australians to the list of people she is jealus of then!
And mexicans!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #258
jeycie
New Member
0
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: one
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Palm Beach

iTrader: (0)

hatch looks niiiiiice
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #259
Adam
I say no to mods... my car tells me otherwise :(
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 120
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Perth WA

iTrader: (0)

130iguy... looks really nice....

what tyres are they (brand)
are your arches rolled at all? do you think that to run a 255 tyre you will need to roll the arches and thats about it? or do you think it will fowl on the inside of the wheel - towards to strut?

cheers
Adam
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #260
imported_Happy1
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

iTrader: (1)

Would 245/40/18's fit well in the back?

I have 18x8.5 et 40 wheels in the back and wondering if 40 ratio 245s would rub on the track? Stock suspension, no mods and all...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #261
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
8
Rep
688
Posts

 
Drives: E87 130i Hatch
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Qld, Australia

iTrader: (0)

__________________
Do it properly the first time.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #262
BMW86
Major General
Australia
138
Rep
8,958
Posts

 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Riley - that pic and your signature go really well together. Great looking 1er
__________________
BMW 135i N54
MERCEDES CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #263
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
6
Rep
222
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (-1)

ForgeStar f14's
Color-custom
19' +50
F-8.5'
R- 9'

Conti dws
F-235/35-19
R-265/30-19

1.

2.

3.

4.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #264
robertmx
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Motegi Racing MR118 (black)

New here, bough 2008 135i last fall.

Purchased set of Motegi Racing MR118 (45 offset, 8") with 225/45-17 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Tires. Handling is not as good as it was on stock setup, and also I already have 1 rim slightly bent (it's NJ).

Thinking about getting BBS CF.


Robert
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST