BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #23
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

Rude awakening driving auto

I've always driven manual. Couple weeks ago I go from my 135 manual to my parents Lincoln. As I pull out the drive and head down the road I instinctively 'hit the clutch' to shift and
nearly put my head through the windshield as I hit the Lincoln's huge brake pedal!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #24
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

I live in NYC half of the year and drive an M roadster(manual) and M3/4(auto, I know what a pore excuse for an M car, but the price/timing was right). I often drive the roadster in rush hour traffic and I can honestly tell you that driving a manual in traffic is no problem, like many have said, you get used to it and you'll never look back. I spent 3 years regretting buying a used m3 that was auto because it removes the involvement of driving that is necessary with these cars. I implore you, DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!! Get a stick and never look back, you wont regret it. (just sold the m3/4 and got an 09 135i, you better believe it's stick!)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
chicago728
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Here's a question I need to know. I am buying an 135(auto) this week but I always wanted a manual. However, I never drove a manual in my life. Would it be a terrible idea to get a 135 as my first manual? Plus, I don't know anyone who has a manual at this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
paologaspar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago728 View Post
Here's a question I need to know. I am buying an 135(auto) this week but I always wanted a manual. However, I never drove a manual in my life. Would it be a terrible idea to get a 135 as my first manual? Plus, I don't know anyone who has a manual at this time.
I know someone who learned to drive a stick on an E39 M5. Buy the 135 in manual and get someone to teach you once it comes. Alternatively, take a couple of driving lessons. A couple of hours will get you the basics, then you can take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #27
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
I picked up a cheap stickshift beater as a "in-between" car (mazda mx6) so I could sell my RSX with no worry of not having a car to get to work. I learned stick years ago on my uncle's delivery tractor trailer but never had access to a manual for a long period of time, so I practically forgot how to drive it. Now after 2 months of this beater I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier; I don't think I can go back to owning an auto anymore.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #28
Juan's1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM E82

Learning to drive a manual for the first time is easier on a smaller, less sporty car like a Honda Fit. Contrary to what I thought, it would be harder to learn in a powerful sports car like the 135i as it is less forgiving if your coordination is off. Once you learn, though, the rewards are addicting. Soupy did the right thing by learning in a "cheap stickshift beater" first and it will spare the potential stress on the transmission of your upcoming 1 as you learn to drive stick.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
future135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

I don't see myself going back either. auto is like driving a golf cart. no fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I have always kept 1 or 2 auto's in the stable, this way manual never gets old. If you know you'll see tons of traffic and you have the means, use the 2nd car with auto. Use the MT 135i for spirited drives or road trips.
      10-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #31
tnawab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Graphite, Coral Red

Get the Stick. You will never want to drive an auto again.

Like others said, better to learn on a more relaxed clutch, as its safer, causes less stress on the car. The 135i clutch is very tight, as in it catches very quick. You timing has to be good to drive it properly.

But its not hard to learn. I was up and running in my first stick shift in 2 days.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #32
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago728 View Post
agreed with others, learning in such a powerful little car would be tough. BUT the tranny on the 1er is almost dummy proof. My relatives thought it had a system to assist gear changes to resist stutter or stall. Once you learn the concept it's much easier.

I found the most effective method of teaching people is to have them sit with 1st engaged, sit on level surface and slowly disengage the clutch WITHOUT giving it gas. Feel where the clutch grabs and you can begin to memorize the friction zone, THAT's where you apply the gas. That's how I was taught to ride a motorcycle. Some people in the course didn't even know what a clutch was and they were shifting smoothly within minutes.

Agreed, hands down go for the manual. I think I was 20 by time I drove an auto. There is an undeniable lack of control with an Auto, especially with such a torque car like the 1er. I'm sure it would come in time, but my first test drive, I simply felt like the auto 135i was driving me. Lack of control on power delivery.

That said, I've had an auto Jetta loaner from my wife's car for the past two weeks. It's a great thing to have in DC traffic. BUT, in a car like the 1er, I would never consider an auto...the benefits in traffic don't outweigh the costs otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #33
Ron H
Private
Rep
Drives:

I live in Houston and I would not want to deal with a stick in a daily driver. I have done it for years and my drive is now much more enjoyable. The paddles at least offer me some control of my shift points, and while not quite a manual it is close enough.

In some auto's straight line performance is actually faster with a auto. If you plan to run on a track with turns that may be a different thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

I had previously responded in this thread that I was thinking of going from auto back to manual. Well, I have now had my new car for a couple of weeks, and about 800 miles. I can say, that even in Southern California traffic, I am loving being back in the manual. You just can't beat the fun of controlling when you shift. I can upshift aggresively when I just want to cruise and get better gas mileage, and I can also control just how agressively I want to keep my RPM's in the powerband (to a point since I am still in the break-in period). Loving it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #35
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

I've never had an auto, driven a few but a manual is something else. You actually feel part of the car, have more control and I think it keeps you more alert behind the wheel.