BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #111
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
22 mpg? that's pretty much terrible. for a 300hp car no that's not bad
My 2.4L 230HP PT Cruiser GT gets about 19MPG with my lead foot driving style, so if the 3.0L 300HP 135i manages to even match that then I'll be happy.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #112
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
FYI - Rear headroom is greater than a 3-series

There is no way you have to hold down the turn signal (thats crazy)

RFTs are on almost every bimmer

The higher rates is temporary
Didn't know that about the headroom, thanks.

The 135i I drove at the dealership required me to hold down the stock to keep the blinker going but if you would've read the thread, you would've seen that someone already pointed out that you can set it to flash 3 times automatically when you just tap it.

I know, but they still suck!

yes...yes they are.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #113
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Not really, I love the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
All criticism is valid but...

Consumption: How many other 300bhp cars can do 22MPG? I'd like to get 300bhp from burning food scraps, but we are still only in 2008

Curb weight: I've said it before. BM will place more emphasis on safety etc, rather than satisfying a very minor proportion of their clientelle with an anorexic pocket rocket. You want light.... Get an Elise.

Floaty at 100-120MPH: Was that in a school zone or track?

Let's not forget that this post was created to inform us of more practical problems with the car (seatbelt reach, button positions, radio visibility with sunnies etc.) rather than a wingefest about the things we wish the car was / could do.

And Jeff1962. Are you really that displeased?
I will probably order one next Feb 09. But I am glad I have to wait so I can find out if there are any issues with the engine. Like the fuel pump, overheating, and BMW reliability ???
I really wish the cruise control was on the steering wheel. I use cruise alot even though I drive the shit out of my cars. The stereo controls look like something on a 1970's AM radio. The RUNFLAT/NO SPARE is my biggest problem. Many people complaining about the leather quality is also a concern.

Overall I love the car, but am having second thoughts, I am so thrilled I can get such an awesome car for about $40k. I have looked at and priced the 335i coupe many times with the options I want and its just TOO expensive for me.

And the feeling of even going into a BMW dealer makes me shiver. Like I am some poor shumbag. Acura always treated me like a person of the Earth. BMW dealers think their shit doesn't stink.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #114
Kayne
Rep
Drives:

My 200 hp GTI gets 23/30
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #115
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm only averaging 15 mpg city. Of course I only have 250 miles on her and I'm constantly doing quick spurts to 4500 rpms from every stoplight.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #116
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I only get 17 in the city with my Civic Si, but its around 8,000 r's often. I won't care if I get only 15-17 in the city with the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #117
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop79 View Post
:bs:

The '08 EPA estimate for the Vets' 6.2L est. is 15 in the city and 25 on the hwy. And I'm assuming that you have the 7.0L from '07.

Sure the Vet has more HP and still in the same MPG ball park as the 135. But the vet has a much smaller drag coefficient It has nothing to do with "German Engineering". Just look at the cars and use your nugget. The 135i isn't a dedicated sports car. Try taking a couple buddies golfing in your Vet.

And how did you manage to add 200LBS to your car? That's the heaviest '07 Vet I've ever heard of. I'd like to see what you've done to it.

Call BS if you like, but I get over 26MPG on the highway in a 435Hp GTO that runs high 12 second 1/4 miles. The car weighs over 3700lbs and seats four. The Vettes do much better than what I see. Say what you want, but when it comes to fast cars and gas mileage, no one can touch GM's formula. Large displacement, high torque engines running at low RPM on the highway works very well for them. Imagine what their numbers will look like once they start using direct injection on their V8s!

The mileage is about the only thing I'm not trilled with about the 135. I was hoping for a little better. Of course the real world numbers may be more in line with what I was expecting, because the new EPA ratings are pretty tough.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #118
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I hate the brake dust.
Shoulder belt spring is a little tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #119
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBoy View Post
Didn't know that about the headroom, thanks.
Yep I never would have guessed it myself, until I saw the demensions on bmwusa.com.

335i coupe rear headroom - 35.8

135i rear headroom - 37.1

And the 135i has more rear shoulder room 53.4 vs 52.7.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #120
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
according to dodgy its all about fluff and gadgets and not about the car ..here. but i will continue anyway.
Read the first submission in this thread. This started as a practical discussion about practical issues we may face owning the car.

If you want to whine about why the 1er is not your perfect car, start a different thread!
      04-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #121
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
a couple of things Re: gas mileage

From what I have seen, most of you will begin to see your gas mileage improve after a decent break in period of around 4k mile give or take. 335's were very similar in this regard.

btw: the headrest not tilting is a big peave of mine as well, that item should be a given
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #122
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
btw: the headrest not tilting is a big peave of mine as well, that item should be a given
Agree
      04-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #123
energie
Private
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks1222 View Post
My list based on a test drive:

1. Window sill is too high. I like to drive with my arm resting on the sill, but in the 135 that puts my arm above my shoulder. There's an arm rest inside the door that may be a decent substitute.

2. Side mirrors. They seem too small to provide as much coverage as I'd like. This might just be a thing I'll get used to.

3. (Related to #1) A little less glass overall than I'd like. My two previous cars (E30 325is and a '97 Honda Civic) both had tons of windshield/window area, so they gave a very open feel, as well as making it easy to see for lane changes/backing up.

Bear in mind, these are all very minor issues -- the test drive was fantastic and I put down a deposit immediately upon returning to the dealer.
+1 on observations above, and also regarding the gauge visibility comment that you mention in a separate post. Having driven and owned many cars, I've come to question how it's possible for carmakers to achieve feats of engineering on 90% of a car, and not put the same level of energy into ergonomics and user interface. During my test drive, I remember searching for a comfortable position for my arm and finding the sill too high and the armrest too low, ugh (I'm 5'11"). Just the engineer and car fanatic in me speaking!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #124
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

edit

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-05-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #125
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

I'm getting about 4 mpg less than in my E36 M3, for comparable driving. I didn't think I'd see that big a difference. Let's hope it does a little better after break-in.

Smaller-size gas tank is an extra pain along with low gas mileage.

I can't see the radio screen with sunglasses. Need to tilt my head about 30 degrees before it's visible. There's no excuse for this.

The third cupholder is just plain ridiculous. I won't use it, so it doesn't matter, but it IS ridiculous.

I am kind of surprised at the amount of brake dust on the wheels given the light-duty break-in driving I've been doing.

Car does look pot-bellied, although I hope I'll get used to the looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #126
cmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I can't see the radio screen with sunglasses. Need to tilt my head about 30 degrees before it's visible. There's no excuse for this.
I'm not trying to make excuses; this polarization issue is ridiculous.

But FWIW, someone came up with a pretty clever fix. I can't remember where I saw it, but it's on one of the half dozen BMW boards I've been consuming.

Take one of those transparency sheets used with overhead projectors, swivel it until the polarization is correct, cut out a piece and affix it to the LCD. I forget how they attached it, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #127
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickinson View Post
I'm not trying to make excuses; this polarization issue is ridiculous.

But FWIW, someone came up with a pretty clever fix. I can't remember where I saw it, but it's on one of the half dozen BMW boards I've been consuming.

Take one of those transparency sheets used with overhead projectors, swivel it until the polarization is correct, cut out a piece and affix it to the LCD. I forget how they attached it, though.
Try this.........post #129
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ized#post81206

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #128
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post

What I fascinates me about these type of post is that there isn't a single reference to the performance of the car.

Remember it's about the car not the fluff and gadgets...
Yikes!... What fascinates me about your post is that this thread isn't even about the performance. So why would you expect everyone or anyone to reference it here? :iono:

My appreciation for the performance of the car is primarily expressed with my wallet.

That's why I bought a 135i with a stick. Already owning a Carrera S and still buying a 135i certainly shows that I appreciate the performance of the 1er. Now I've got two spirited dancers to choose from!

That said, no car is perfect, and there is no harm in discussing members' perspectives on the shortcomings of this fine automobile... without having to mention it's performance in the same breath. It's performance is a given!
      04-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #129
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I'm getting about 4 mpg less than in my E36 M3, for comparable driving. I didn't think I'd see that big a difference. Let's hope it does a little better after break-in.

Smaller-size gas tank is an extra pain along with low gas mileage.

The third cupholder is just plain ridiculous. I won't use it, so it doesn't matter, but it IS ridiculous.

I am kind of surprised at the amount of brake dust on the wheels given the light-duty break-in driving I've been doing.

Car does look pot-bellied, although I hope I'll get used to the looks.
there's a diy fix for the polarized screen. get a piece of transparancy paper and put it up flat against the screen. Turn it clockwise while looking at it through your polarized sunglasses from the driver's position until you can see the screen. Cut a small piece of the transparancy at that angle and fit it against the screen. static should hold in place.

i haven't tried this yet. just read it on the bmw boards. some transparencies work better than others.

just saw this was posted already. sorry for the repeat post.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #130
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
From what I have seen, most of you will begin to see your gas mileage improve after a decent break in period of around 4k mile give or take. 335's were very similar in this regard.

I expect tilting feature to be in the 2009 model (personal speculation). This problem is easily remedy with a call to the parts department. Larryn has a thread that showing e90 headrest fits in the car.
      04-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #131
AdaminLA
Rep
Drives:

Bad front seats!

I have the seats that come with the premium package (didn't get the sport package) and they're killing my back no matter how I adjust them.

Anyone have any fixes/suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #132
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaminLA View Post
I have the seats that come with the premium package (didn't get the sport package) and they're killing my back no matter how I adjust them.

Anyone have any fixes/suggestions?
BMW seats are awesome! Hopefully you purchased the premium package, which provides adjustable lumbar support. The sport seat would have added side boaters. Back support will come from lumbar adjusments, as well as changing the angles of the lower seat and the seat back. Work at it, and once you find the sweet spot, I strongly urge you to try to remember the position as well as put it into the car's memory which will make it exactly the same every time you drive!!