BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #111
gravityautosports
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks great Andy!!! Thanks for the pictures!!

For every one who is wondering, 135ibmw is correct. Getting the new diffusers done up takes a lot of time!

It's doing to take some time before the new diffusers are released, but that doesn't mean other CF parts aren't on the way

Keep posted for an update and a pre-order a little later in the week (you didn't hear it from me
      05-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #112
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityautosports View Post
Looks great Andy!!! Thanks for the pictures!!

For every one who is wondering, 135ibmw is correct. Getting the new diffusers done up takes a lot of time!

It's doing to take some time before the new diffusers are released, but that doesn't mean other CF parts aren't on the way

Keep posted for an update and a pre-order a little later in the week (you didn't hear it from me
How about those Shadowline Intercooler grilles?

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #113
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

As per Gravity: *** BTW - the "Gravity Autosports" on the pictures is only a watermark! Diffusers include a small vinyl sticker that ou can apply if you wish to, but they DO NOT already come on the diffuser!! Sorry for the mix up**

Yes, but at this point it's just an idea. We're planning on presenting it to a plastic manufacture soon and getting some numbers.

What is in the works already though, is a CF version that's going to be much, much, MUCH less than the OEM BMW Performance one with the same quality. No mass produced overseas replicas here, all CF diffusers will be made in-house here with the highest quality possible. Stay tuned, more info this week!

- Andrew

This was posted in this thread back in March. There was never any new info or anything updated on the production. I love what Gravity is bringing to 1addicts and understand that this takes time, but they haven't said much of it. Seemed like the idea just fell through the cracks. If they do produce this, I will def order one. If they announce that they won't, then I'll settle for the shadowline. My 2cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IBMW View Post
I think manufacturing of the performance diffuser will take much more work than what they are currently doing with their shadow line. The shadow line is a OEM diffuser painted to match the shadow line trim.

Since they can't just paint a CF diffuser, they will have to manufacture the diffuser in carbon, RFP, etc than paint it ... This usually takes months not weeks to design and produce and the cost means much more risk for Gravity... I would PM them and see what is the expected ETA for the Performance diffuser.. or you could just paint your existing diffuser and wait for more info from gravity....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #114
gravityautosports
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The diffuser is definitely in the works, their are only two problems. One, we can get them with holes cutout, but they won't put a mesh there; we would have to do that ourselves. This brings up the issue of should we do a "Performance" CF Diffuser without the holes, with holes and no mesh, or try to find someone to insert a mesh in the diffuser. We'll post a poll and let you guys decide.

Issue #2 is that we postponed the diffuser for a bit to go foward with a front lip. We didn't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, but we saw more interest in a lip than in the diffuser. The diffuser is #2 right after the lips enter production.

Any other questions, please let me know! I hope this clears it up a bit.
      05-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #115
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
How about those Shadowline Intercooler grilles?

Have Fun,
Rick
Please see above
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #116
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep

YEESSSS!!! Andrew, you guys are killing it over here. Great job guys. Yes, def want a front lip, so I can wait a bit on the diffusor. Let us know how soon before we get a glimpse and can order. Hopefully it's different than the hartage one.
Quote:
The diffuser is definitely in the works, their are only two problems. One, we can get them with holes cutout, but they won't put a mesh there; we would have to do that ourselves. This brings up the issue of should we do a "Performance" CF Diffuser without the holes, with holes and no mesh, or try to find someone to insert a mesh in the diffuser. We'll post a poll and let you guys decide.

Issue #2 is that we postponed the diffuser for a bit to go foward with a front lip. We didn't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, but we saw more interest in a lip than in the diffuser. The diffuser is #2 right after the lips enter production.

Any other questions, please let me know! I hope this clears it up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #117
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I'm sure Andy and Gravity will do a great job on the lip. I'd even order it sight unseen if it got it to me faster..lol.

Yup, a lip and something different for the intercooler grill are parts we definitely need. I'm set with my shadowline diffuser but a performance type one at $500-$600, half or so the price of the original, would be a nice option to eventually move up to.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #118
gravityautosports
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

MUCH different. It flows a lot better!

I don't want to disclose too much yet but I'll say this. The company who is manufacturing these had a pro graphics guy take initial mock-up designs and retrofit it to an actual picture of a 135i. The finished product will look exactly like the retrofits he did. Look for a new thread later on in the week!
      05-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #119
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
This brings up the issue of should we do a "Performance" CF Diffuser without the holes, with holes and no mesh, or try to find someone to insert a mesh in the diffuser.
"Some assembly required" could be a 4th option. Essentially offload the assembly of the two pieces to your customers since it would add very little overhead on-top of the basic isntall.

The main diffuser body can be designed and manufactured in such a way that a 2nd grill piece can be easily attached (snap-on, screws, glue, etc. Whatever makes the most sense) as part of the install process. You would then need to drop two pieces into the shipping boxes instead of one but wouldn't need to deal with assembling all of the diffusers yourself. Moving to two pieces, possibly from different sources, would most likely add to the costs though.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if you were going to go with a holes but no mesh approach, I'm curious if real functionality could be added to the diffuser. I haven't looked at the underside of the rear of the car from an airflow perspective. Do the underbody aerodynamics extend all the way to the diffuser?

It would add a bit to the development (obviously it wouldn't have to be perfect. I wouldn't expect any serious modeling or wind tunnel tests.) but depending on what can be done back there it may increase the interest in the product taking it from purely cosmetic to both cosmetic & functional.

If, for example, the current underbody aero ends before the rear of the car and the current diffuser is like dragging a small parachute around I would expect some interest in something that not only opens it up to let air out but also directs that air in a way to add a bit of downforce. (I'm picturing slots curving upward. A mini-wing built into the diffuser if you will hidden within the diffuser)

OK. I'm just rambling while having a post-lunch coffee. I know that's not what you want to do with the diffuser and you're already too far into development. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh well, given the way most vendors design parts like this it would probably look completely ridiculous. That's one thing I like about the OEM perf diffuser and the reason I'm interested in your replica; it's still subtle enough to not look completely ricey.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #120
gravityautosports
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Lib, you bring out some GREAT points that we have looked into.

For starters, having the end user assemble the two pieces could be an option. Almost all carbon pieces with meshes are usually glued/clipped on; we just need to find someone that can bend the mesh to the appropriate shape so that all that has to be done is glue the mesh on the backside of the diffuser.

What you were talking about regarding the "parachute" effect could have some truth behind it. Although the underside of the car is pretty streamlined, the diffuser does tend to create a small air pocket since it's open from the back. I guess the only way to close this off would be to extend the diffuser further back and close that area off. That would definitely require either a different piece that can be added as "section 2" or a different diffuser all together.

I would be willing to look into it, but the first question is whether people would be interested in a second piece that maybe closes up some of the open space beneath the diffuser and thus removing the "parachuting" effect of air getting trapped and not coming out.

Under the same principle though, by opening up wholes in our new diffuser, most of that air would probably just pass right through and eliminate the parachuting effect wouldn't it? What are your thoughts?

We had a similar problem on a Porsche 993 Turbo that our fabricator did a upgraded turbos on. The car was tracked extensively and during straights at very high MPH air would get trapped in the hood (which is the trunk) didn't have anywhere to go. It really affected the car at high speeds. We did a custom shroud underneath the front bumper that took air in, and expelled it from a vent that was made in the hood. The car was not only more stable at high speeds, but was able to climb to higher speeds at a much faster rate. Not exactly the same issue, but something kind of similar!

- Andy
      05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #121
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I'm looking forward to getting some details on the lip. Will it be available in carbon fiber?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #122
gravityautosports
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Sure will!
      05-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #123
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Im waiting for the lip now! =D
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #124
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep

^Yeah, like everyone else is lol. And i thought you were selling your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #125
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
naaa..i decided i wanna keep it..i would miss it too much =)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #126
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Subscribed.

My plan is to have a single source for front lip/spoiler; diffuser, rear spoiler, license plate holder.....all in CF....all reasonble price - all my money to vendor.

Keep us updated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #127
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbladejr View Post
Subscribed.

My plan is to have a single source for front lip/spoiler; diffuser, rear spoiler, license plate holder.....all in CF....all reasonble price - all my money to vendor.

Keep us updated. Thanks!
Same!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #128
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-17-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #129
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I have the OE shadowline diffuser from Gravity.
      07-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #130
dmailloux
Navy Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 CBM X6M

Garage List
Quote:
We could Shadowline your dog if you really wanted to! hahahaha!!

Next batch we send to paint of diffusers I'll paint some bumper grilles and see what happens!

- Andy
Did anything ever happen with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
I'd be very interested in that. The grills that is. A dog in shadowline would be interesting, but I'll pass.

Any news on a variant of the diffuser? I'd love a less expensive performance diffuser in shadowline.
See there is demand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
+1

Have Fun,
Rick
DEMAND!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #131
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondriddick View Post
Did anything ever happen with this?

See there is demand!

DEMAND!
+1 I'd be interested in a quad set up and possibly in CF too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #132
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

anyone have a pic on a sedona red metallic 135i? i really like the idea of this, and dont want cf.

also, is there any long term feedback? fading, chipping, holding up to exhaust fumes/heat?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0