BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #177
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel_135 View Post
there wasnt any different between your father´s 535 and your 135 that sounds bad cause that car needs to be much slower than 135i just because of the weight
I'm assuming he's talking about engine response/lack of lag, rather than outright pace here
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #178
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Finally got a chance to drive a 135 Step- No manual's in SoCal.

To me, there's definitely lag compared to my 335. If you put it in Sport mode, it launches fine, but is then jerky for daily driving. Maybe BMW could just change the ramp on the accelerator to offset some of the waste-gate changes.

Also drove and M3, and that thing just drives so nice. Took a turn in the M3 that it handled with ease, but the 135 was getting DSC kicking in with understeer. Surprisingly, the delay in shifting was much better in the Step compared to the DCT, meaning when you pull the lever, there's a definite delay before the gear change actually happens. The actual change is very fast, but you need to pull the lever about 1000 RPM sooner than when you want to shift because that engine just revs so fast. It's an amazing engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #179
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
SSTT doesn't alter the TMAP signal outside of what the EUC would normally do given Barometric pressure & Temperature. SO...unless BMW is going to say it's own factory specs are "out of spec"....:iono: The BMW factory ECU is still making all decisions in your car.

Ref post #1 is pure BS

Ref post #2 is talking about traditional piggy backs that alter beyond factory specs.

but to each his/her own....There isn't a "bunch" of people selling. I've seen 1 selling.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11616

He doesn't give a reason either so speculation can be anything.

btw...since SSTT in on a HUGE AMOUNT of N54 motors 535i/335i/135i and nobody had posted a DME v81 or v29.2 SSTT horror story...It's pretty safe to say "it's not an issue". Manufacture has tested at dealership with BMW eq. and also backs this up.
Thanks 0002 the warrenty means a lot to me so I was being pretty paranoid.
Upcoming Mods: Window Tint, Quad Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #180
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

People would reconsider buyingn a car based on its ECU software? Am I the only one that finds that hilarious?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #181
arisonford
Rep
Drives:

I'm not sure what everyone expects from their car. to say it lost its low end grunt is just absurd. most people here are stating their opinion without having driven the car before and after the switch, so maybe it would be helpful if someone could describe how things changed for them, like in everyday drivinh situations...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #182
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisonford View Post
I'm not sure what everyone expects from their car. to say it lost its low end grunt is just absurd. most people here are stating their opinion without having driven the car before and after the switch, so maybe it would be helpful if someone could describe how things changed for them, like in everyday drivinh situations...
I think its mostly a bunch of 1 series owners concerned about what many 3 series owners have been complaining about. on e90post many owners have been complaining that with the newer software you didn't feel the power of the car until around 3k rpm.

I personally have the old software installed so again...I can't personally say for sure.
Upcoming Mods: Window Tint, Quad Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #183
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

im using V81, no dramas!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:09 AM   #184
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Can't believe these posts right after I said I DROVE a car and compared it to my 335 and there was lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #185
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
People would reconsider buyingn a car based on its ECU software? Am I the only one that finds that hilarious?
Maybe not if you were buy an econo-box or even a "non" performance family hauler.

But when buying a performance oriented car, yes, everything matters.

Not to mention the fact, that the car may not perform the way it did during influential reviews OR even worse, actual test drives.

I do think we need to wait and see what pans out in the end here, but it's totally legit to be wary because of ECU issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #186
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Can't believe these posts right after I said I DROVE a car and compared it to my 335 and there was lag.

Is your 335 Manual?
      06-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #187
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
im using V81, no dramas!
I think the point is that it's the progman v29.2 that causes the issue, not whether it's an 80 or 81 DME. It's the software that's loaded in the DME that matters in this case
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #188
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
I think the point is that it's the progman v29.2 that causes the issue, not whether it's an 80 or 81 DME. It's the software that's loaded in the DME that matters in this case

Right, but all V81 units will have the newer software. He's just never compared his car to the older ones to realize the difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #189
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

would not call it turbo lag

I just put 200 mile on my 135 that I picked up Friday night. There is definitely a difference in the turbo response in my new car from the 1s and 3s I have test driven. I think a lot of the back and forth is because people using the term “turbo lag” to describe what is happening. Personaly it feels more like the spool up of a supercharger than turbo lag. The turbo doesn’t kick in hard like traditional turbo lag. It seem to be spooling up a little slower (more like a supercharger) than on the old software/ecu . To make it a little more confusing, it seems to spool up is related to two variables RPMs and throttle depression. My guess is the ECU is using how far you are pressing the gas in the equation that it is using to open up the waste gates. If you use a light foot it seems as if the turbos spools up slower. I feel the difference under 1800 rpms and it is only slight when I drive normally. I have a manual and a heavy foot. When I lighten up on the gas pedal the slower turbo spool up is more pronounced. I noticed the spool up of the turbos all the way to 2800 rpm.
I spend very little time under 2000 RPMs and I am aggressive with the gas pedal so I don’t have an issue. My guess is that it would show up the most for mild drivers in automatics.
It seem that since the throttle is in the equation, the more you look for this issue by pressing softly and more controlled on the gas pedal, the more pronounced the issue becomes.
I will be putting a boost gauge on my 1 in the next week or so to get data. This all based on impressions not hard data so take it with a grain of salt.
      06-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #190
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
I just put 200 mile on my 135 that I picked up Friday night. There is definitely a difference in the turbo response in my new car from the 1s and 3s I have test driven. I think a lot of the back and forth is because people using the term “turbo lag” to describe what is happening. Personaly it feels more like the spool up of a supercharger than turbo lag. The turbo doesn’t kick in hard like traditional turbo lag. It seem to be spooling up a little slower (more like a supercharger) than on the old software/ecu . To make it a little more confusing, it seems to spool up is related to two variables RPMs and throttle depression. My guess is the ECU is using how far you are pressing the gas in the equation that it is using to open up the waste gates. If you use a light foot it seems as if the turbos spools up slower. I feel the difference under 1800 rpms and it is only slight when I drive normally. I have a manual and a heavy foot. When I lighten up on the gas pedal the slower turbo spool up is more pronounced. I noticed the spool up of the turbos all the way to 2800 rpm.
I spend very little time under 2000 RPMs and I am aggressive with the gas pedal so I don’t have an issue. My guess is that it would show up the most for mild drivers in automatics.
It seem that since the throttle is in the equation, the more you look for this issue by pressing softly and more controlled on the gas pedal, the more pronounced the issue becomes.
I will be putting a boost gauge on my 1 in the next week or so to get data. This all based on impressions not hard data so take it with a grain of salt.
It'll be interesting to see what you get out of this. If you're correct in your assumptions, then in theory I guess someone driving in a careful manner should actually be able to get better fuel economy than before.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #191
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Right, but all V81 units will have the newer software. He's just never compared his car to the older ones to realize the difference.
Ah, my apologies in that case. I wasn't sure if there were any msd80s with v29.1 or earlier
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #192
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Is your 335 Manual?
My 335 is also Step. It's technically the wife's car, but I drive it 3 days a week that she doesn't work. The 135 will be a manual.

What gargoyl said about the throttle position seems to make sense since it felt pretty good in sport mode, but was stuck in mud in the regular mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #193
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
My 335 is also Step. It's technically the wife's car, but I drive it 3 days a week that she doesn't work. The 135 will be a manual.

What gargoyl said about the throttle position seems to make sense since it felt pretty good in sport mode, but was stuck in mud in the regular mode.

Doesn't reg mod start in 2nd gear?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #194
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

That is where I was going next. The 135i Step in non sport mode seems to have slight lag. This is an issue with the step program not the engine.
      06-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #195
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

From what I understand, all BMW Step's start in second gear. Is the 135 step program different? I've heard the slush-box is different from the 335, but that was only 1 source I read.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #196
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

In Manual Mode, it starts in 2nd gear. In D and DS, it starts in 1st gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #197
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Wow... ok... yes, sometimes the car will start in second gear, but here is WHY:

2 reasons...

1. You drive like a granny and your transmission adapted to think you like it to start in second gear (only does this in D mode)
2. You were driving in manual mode in a higher gear, and come to a stop without downshifting

The steptronic while in manual mode will ONLY shift on its own under 3 circumstances...
1. If you hit the kickdown switch, it will downshift
2. if you get below ~900 rpms, it will downshift automatically to one lower gear, to keep the enigne from bogging, or needing to disengage the torque converter (which is fully locking)... it will only do this down to 2nd, to get to first, you have to manually downshift into it.
3. if you hit the rev limiter, it will upshift.

So in other words... its all in your control as long as you know how to properly control it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #198
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel_135 View Post
there wasnt any different between your father´s 535 and your 135 that sounds bad cause that car needs to be much slower than 135i just because of the weight

I meant lag. However, the weight difference isnt as big as you'd expect. I believe it weighs about 80lbs more than an E90.

There MIGHT be a slight difference in the 1500-2300rpm range, but not as drastic as people say. Still a LOT less lag than any other performance oriented turbo car I've driven.

I'll bet your average driver couldnt even feel the difference.

Furthermore, it is only noticable when you NAIL the throttle. At part throttle, there was no difference that I could detect. Not in the slightest.

The only time I could see it being an issue is exiting a corner at full throttle in the wrong gear.

This whole thing is overblown when it comes to turbolag, IMO. People are being dramatic. If no one suggested to you that there was additional lag, I'll bet maybe 1/20th of the people driving would even notice.

It REALLY shouldn't matter to step owners. The car should donshift for you if you hit the gas hard enough at the efrectede RPMs, rendering the issue moot. Furthermore, anyone who cares about 2/10th of a second difference in response wouldn't even be driving a step.

The tuning protection is another issue. Honestly, I dont understand why people expect to keep a driveline warranty after making major mods. Its a unique phenomenon to BMW it seems, no car I've owned previously have owners thought like that. You gotta pay to play, and if you break it, you buy it. Quite frankly, if you want BMW to warranty the car, leave it the way they designed it. I dont understand the whole warranty thing. My biggest concern with v81 is throwing limps. I'm not going to ask my dealer to foot the bill when my turbos eventually go after running them much harder than MHI reccomenss.
Appreciate 0