BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

N54 Software Update-Final Verdict?

Have an appointment on Monday for service at the dealer for my 09 135i. Im still confused on whether I should have the software updated or not. Im not concerned about the TPMS update. I just dont want a noticeable loss of power.

Have we reached a final conclusion on the update yet? Also, if they choose to replace the HPFP, which model # should I be asking for now? 944?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
Have an appointment on Monday for service at the dealer for my 09 135i. Im still confused on whether I should have the software updated or not. Im not concerned about the TPMS update. I just dont want a noticeable loss of power.

Have we reached a final conclusion on the update yet? Also, if they choose to replace the HPFP, which model # should I be asking for now? 944?

DO NOT get your SW updated then! Bc with the new SW you will loose throttle response and HP.

IF you need a new HPFP... then you might not be able to decline a SW upgrade. I believe you want a HPFP made by Conti and NOT Bosch. You want a pump buiilt after March, 2010. I am not sure of the part number. I think there was atleast two other pumps after the 944 part number though.

Dackel

PS: IF you do get the new SW... I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Final verdict! Good luck!!
Some people say it's reduced performance, some have said it improves it. As for me, I could not really tell any difference.
Plus you may not have a choice if you take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Do not update SW! If or when the HPFP dies, just have them replace it with out any SW updates.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

For me when they did the recall, they also swapped injectors, so it's worth doing to keep clean/fresh parts in your car. The software did un-do my flash, but once re-flashed the car felt the same as it had previously.

Verdict: Get the replacement then upgrade your software
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Some people say it's reduced performance, some have said it improves it. As for me, I could not really tell any difference.
The law of averages here suggests it does not affect performance. As for me, I could not tell a difference. If they are replacing your injectors then I would go for it.

I would love to see some empirical data on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Auburn 6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I had my HPFP switched and they also swapped my injectors, but I requested that they not reflash my software and they agreed. I have a JB3 and wanted to play it safe, don't think it would have changed anything, but why mess with something that's running smoothly?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

09 135, new pump and SW. No noticable difference to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
HotSauce
Citizen Snips
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
09 135, new pump and SW. Huge noticeable differences to me. Car definitely feels slower. It doesn't have that "throw you in the back of the seat" kick to it anymore.

Also for those with iDrive and GPS, did your map change to an ugly black color?
09 Crimson Red BMW 135i. P3 Boost Gauge, BMW Performance Exhaust, Matte Black Kidney Grills, ST Coil overs, 2013 LCI Taillights, 19" VMR 701 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, VRSF Intercooler, STETT CAI
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
Jbiancolli
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

2010 135. New pump and software. Now it is just a car. Should have saved money and gotten the 128
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

2009 got software and fuel pump, I noticed no difference at all.
      06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I noticed no difference when my pump was replaced and my software was updated. The best solution for this issue is made by the boys at Cobb.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
bluecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

2008 - Software and HPFP, DEFINITELY noticed the reduced performance mostly in the sudden addition of turbo lag. Car felt like crap. Bought Cobb, STG 0 feels like it used to feel. Probably the only person on the planet running stage 0.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
TJ bmw135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Garage List
2008 135i Vert  [0.00]
Mine did not have a HPFP failure, just occasional longer cranks. With the recall, they installed part #13-51-7-616-170. No issues since
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

I just got mine back this afternoon after a HPFP recall and they did update the software and install a #446 HPFP. It actually seemed peppier but then again I had been driving their 328 auto wagon loaner, so maybe that was the difference. After a quick jaunt down the Interstate on the way home, I really can't tell that there's a problem with that update, other than having to reset some OBC preferences and screwing up my overall gas mileage average reading.

BTW, it's a 11/09 build. I never had any related problems previously, though sometimes the cranks seemed a bit longish, but most were instant. There's not a lot of mileage, only about 6k. And they did a low mileage oil change at my request without giving me any grief and didn't reset the oil change indicator. Oh, the sound of the Meisterschaft Touring HP got a few head-turns at the dealership though.

pge
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You're entitled to one oil change per year under our maintenance program. Not sure why they would ever give you grief...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You're entitled to one oil change per year under our maintenance program. Not sure why they would ever give you grief...
Because of this service bulletin that has apparently been modified. I barely had 6k miles 18 months after the purchase date. I did have the oil changed at ~1500 on my own dime.

pge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post

There seems to be different software updates.
I got an update last year, the one that was done in response to the HPFP.
My feeling is that it was done to "slow" things up in some cuckoo attempt to help hold off a potential HPFP failure.
Since then, I have had the HPFP recall done. I did not have a pump failure and I didn't think my pump was failing. But, I decided to get the recall replacement just because.

I asked if there was new software included with the new pump.
The service adviser said "No."
I believe here because nothing changed in driving performance.

When I had the software update last year my 135i did not feel the same.
Overall power feels to be the same, but the way the power is delivered and/or comes on changed, for the worse.
Namely throttle response has suffered. There is more delay, which resembles turbo lag, but I feel it's more related to delayed DBW/drive by wire.
I give it throttle and the computer decides it will give it to me in a softened and slower manner.

It doesn't feel like turbo lag, where it may take a moment for the turbo to spool and then give power. But that generally happens at low rpm when exhaust pressure is lower and needs a bit of rpm to build and then drive the turbo.
My throttle lag occurs even when the engine is around 4k rpm, so there is plenty of exhaust pressure. I can be in gear and cruising at 4 or 5K rpm, I give it full throttle, but it takes a full "1 one thousand" count before the power comes on. Then, as it comes on it feels like a 2 step build.
I floor the throttle, count "1 one thousand", the power hits, then a split second later it hit's again harder.
Overall, it sucks.

BMW promoted this engine as having "near zero" turbo lag.
For the most part they are right. Off the line these little turbo's spool very very quickly. The problem with the new software is that it softens the big power delivery when at high rpm. Throttle response is not BMW like at all, and it not even as good as my old 1990 Laser/Eclipse turbo, which had plenty of low rpm lag. But at high rpm, or right in that engine power band, I could floor it at 4k rpm and response was nearly instant with a big surge of power.

I can't say that the software update you'll get will do this to your car, as it may not be the same software. I hope you don't get the software I received.

I recall back when the 2008 model was around a few months there were 2 versions of software that a customer could pick. One was for better MPG and the other was for better performance. Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly. I wish they offered that now as I would take the performance software for sure.
The software I got didn't improve my MPG. It didn't improve anything, quite the opposite. The other notable thing that happened is that when I unlocked the door the low pressure pump primes as you can hear it spin up.

Good luck with yours. If you do get the update, please ask your service writer to give you the actual software version. Then please post how your 1 performs. Try the throttle test that I described above before you get the new software, and then try it again after.
Like this: Drive normally up to speed so that you are in at least 2nd, and try 3rd as well, and you are at 4000 rpm. Keep the throttle steady at that rpm making sure you're not letting up. At 4k rpm keep stead throttle maybe increasing very slightly, then FLOOR it. Take note how quickly the engine responds. Is there any hesitation? If so, how long is it? Does the power surge come on hard and steady?
Try that in 2nd and 3rd. You can try 4th, but that's up to you as you'll be going pretty fast. Be careful.

Then, try the same thing after the update, and post and difference or similarity to your current software.
And, I thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMau1986 View Post
The law of averages here suggests it does not affect performance. As for me, I could not tell a difference. If they are replacing your injectors then I would go for it.

I would love to see some empirical data on this.
Data would be great. However, in my case overall power feels the same, so a dyno may not reveal what I would like to see.

A dyno with fuel mapping may reveal something, but the dyno run would have to be done in a manner testing for throttle response at higher rpm, and not just overall power.
It's a quality issue not so much quantity.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
2009 got software and fuel pump, I noticed no difference at all.
I think it would be helpful to note what trans people have, as it may make a difference in how power feels.
The torque converter may have the effect of damping some of the throttle response issues.

In auto mode when you give it full throttle at 4 or 5K rpm, the trans will downshift so you may not notice it as much.
If you are in "manual" mode, you still have the torque converter effect damping it a bit.
But, maybe it's noticeable with an auto trans as well?
Anyone with an auto and updated software feel increased throttle lag, or something odd?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I noticed no difference when my pump was replaced and my software was updated. The best solution for this issue is made by the boys at Cobb.
True, as software will alter fuel mapping, and probably DBW as well.
It's not an equal comparison as the software changes pretty much everything related to power, power delivery, throttle response, etc...

If I decide to keep my 135i after next year, I may just pony up for the software to get my 1 to feel great again.
As it is now, it's not as fun or enjoyable as it was for the first 10 months.
This thread makes me sad. and angry.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Data would be great. However, in my case overall power feels the same, so a dyno may not reveal what I would like to see.

A dyno with fuel mapping may reveal something, but the dyno run would have to be done in a manner testing for throttle response at higher rpm, and not just overall power.
It's a quality issue not so much quantity.

++1. That is how I would explain the new SW update too. It still felt like the same peak Hp. Its just the throttle response was gone. Before when you could crack teh throttle just an 1/8 or a 1/4 openning.... after the SW update you needed to give it atleast 1/2 throttle for the SAME urge/go/thrust in the crack of your back side! It sucks the new SW update, IF you get it.... no doubt you will want a tune ASAP afterwards.
Appreciate 0