BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
PDZ01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i BSM

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
NOT just Bimmers. When my 2007 Acura TL Type S was 2 months old somebody keyed the passenger side. $1100 out of MY pocket.

If I only CAUGTH them.
I'll bet that explains the mysterious scratch on my 2007 TL Type S. It don't matter anymore since I'm trading it in when the 135 arives. But at least now I know where the scratch came from. Mine was only 2 weeks old when it happened. Hpefully I'll be luckier with the 135.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #24
TwinturboBMW07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

why do people have to screw with other peoples property if they are jealous they should do what we have done and save up and get one
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #25
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

The seatbelt thing is annoying. New subarus will bing relentlessly if you or a passenger isn't wearing your seatbelt and the car is in motion. It has a weight sensor for the airbag, and if there is any weight in the passenger seat (like a heavy bag on the way to the airport, or a case of beer, or anything) you will be driving insane by the time you get anywhere.

There is no official way to defeat the system other than unplugging the cord which I am worried would also disable the airbag. Subaru needs to realize that beeping at your customers for potentially no reason is bad business, and unsafe for the people that get fed up with it and just unplug it.

I hope the 1er doesn't follow the same path - I have to imagine BMW owners are better at complaining and this wouldn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I remember Clarkson talking about having to put the top up on his ferrari because people would spit on the seat, etc.

And we think we have it bad... haha
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #27
forestjump
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
on my e34 I could roll the windows up with my key...is there anything comparable on the 1er?
with my 2006 1 series hatchback you can open the windows with the key by holding the 'open' button for a few seconds, and close them with the 'lock' button.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #28
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Kickback Button Under Throttle

Getting back on the topic of the thread :wink:

Many first time bimmer owners may not realize there is actually a button under the gas pedal that instantly downshifts the car when pressed. At least for automatic bimmers, can't vouch for manual trannys.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #29
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aponting389 View Post
with my 2006 1 series hatchback you can open the windows with the key by holding the 'open' button for a few seconds, and close them with the 'lock' button.
In the litigation-crazed US of A, they don't allow closing of the windows via the fob.

However, if your car is locked, you can hold the unlock button on the fob, and the windows will roll down, followed by the sun roof opening. It's meant as a means to air the car out on hot days. Comfort access take note that you'll have to use the fob to do this! :biggrin:

Likewise, to roll the windows up from outside the car (since we cannot use the fob), you take the "hidden" key out of the fob, put the key in the slot in the door, twist, and hold the key to the 90 degree position. It will roll up the windows and sunroof, as well as lock the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #30
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
In the litigation-crazed US of A, they don't allow closing of the windows via the fob.

However, if your car is locked, you can hold the unlock button on the fob, and the windows will roll down, followed by the sun roof opening. It's meant as a means to air the car out on hot days. Comfort access take note that you'll have to use the fob to do this! :biggrin:

Likewise, to roll the windows up from outside the car (since we cannot use the fob), you take the "hidden" key out of the fob, put the key in the slot in the door, twist, and hold the key to the 90 degree position. It will roll up the windows and sunroof, as well as lock the doors.

I just love gadgets and features on cars that really do not have any real use ....its as if to say..."bet your car can't do this!"
      03-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #31
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
Getting back on the topic of the thread :wink:

Many first time bimmer owners may not realize there is actually a button under the gas pedal that instantly downshifts the car when pressed. At least for automatic bimmers, can't vouch for manual trannys.

I know that I drove a 335 auto recently and it was there. What most people don't realize is that the button is fairly hard to press and they believe they have reached the end of travel for the pedal. I had one person freak when I told them to really slam down hard....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #32
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

For first time owners:
- So to recap, BMW's handling characteristics are extremely sensitive to tire pressure.
- If your window gets out of sync (won't open or close to the degree you tell it to), you can reset the mechanism by getting it either completely open or completely close (whichever works at the time) by holding the switch in that position and then continuing to it in that position for around 5 sec. Then roll it in the other direction and after it reaches the end continue to hold the switch depressed for another 5 sec.
- There is a garage key holder on the driver's visor (holds those credit-card sized garage openers or a tollroad ticket).
- The radio LCD display is polarized at a different angle than the rest of the LCD displays (instrument cluster and climate control), thus making it impossible to view with polarized glasses. You need to tilt you head, or install a transparency sheet over the display.
- Cruise control can also apply the brakes, if you push the stalk past the first detente threshold.
- The A/C compressor disengages at WOT.
- To get the temperature you want in the cabin, you will need to fiddle with the cold/warm central vent dial.
- There might be an annoying squeak in the driver seat when accelerating/decelerating - at least with the sport seats. One or both of 2 small leather straps at the junction between the seat bottom and the upper cushion rub against the hinge mechanism.
- There is an invisible string between the gas pedal and the corners of your mouth (135i only).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

For those with Steptronic, the directions to move the shift lever to upshift/downshift are opposite from most other makes: push away from you (up) to downshift, pull towards you (down) to upshift.

There is logic to this: you're most likely accelerating when you upshift, and it's easier to pull than to push during acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #34
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
For those with Steptronic, the directions to move the shift lever to upshift/downshift are opposite from most other makes: push away from you (up) to downshift, pull towards you (down) to upshift.

There is logic to this: you're most likely accelerating when you upshift, and it's easier to pull than to push during acceleration.
This also mimics the shifting in a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #35
foxtrot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I'm not buying an automatic, but it's good to hear they did it this way: The point-and-click slushboxes in everything else I've driven have all felt backwards to me because it was push away to upshift instead of pulling down the next gear.

Well, except the one in my fiancée's GT Cruiser. That one just feels sideways. The lever goes left and right...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
rainman128
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I just tried this on my parent's 2005 3.0i X3 (USA)...I can't seem to get any response from the vehicle and its windows...both when the windows are up and the windows are down...is this a mechanical problem?:iono:
      03-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

First, hit the unlock button on the fob once then release. The doors should unlock. Then hold down the unlock button on the fob for a while, and you'll see the windows lower (front first, then rear, then sunroof).

It should work on your X3 too.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #38
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I seem to recall that my SA mentioned that now had been reversed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #39
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #40
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I remember Clarkson talking about having to put the top up on his ferrari because people would spit on the seat, etc.
That was most likely because it was Clarkson's Ferrari.

One quirk I've noticed is the gearboxes are not as silky-smooth as some Japanese counterparts, at least in my experience. So don't expect the same feel from a Bimmer's box if your coming from a Japanese car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #41
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

OK, I'm screwed.
My 135i is going to be smarter than I am.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #42
dowroa
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
The seatbelt thing is annoying. New subarus will bing relentlessly if you or a passenger isn't wearing your seatbelt and the car is in motion. It has a weight sensor for the airbag, and if there is any weight in the passenger seat (like a heavy bag on the way to the airport, or a case of beer, or anything) you will be driving insane by the time you get anywhere.

There is no official way to defeat the system other than unplugging the cord which I am worried would also disable the airbag. Subaru needs to realize that beeping at your customers for potentially no reason is bad business, and unsafe for the people that get fed up with it and just unplug it.

I hope the 1er doesn't follow the same path - I have to imagine BMW owners are better at complaining and this wouldn't happen.
I apologize as this is not BMW-centric, but the Subaru seatbelt has already been defeated:

1. Turn on ignition
2. Click Driver's seatbelt in and out of the holder as quickly as you can for 30 seconds. This is best done by holding down the release button, and just inserting and removing the belt as quickly as possible.
3. Turn off the ignition
4. Turn ignition back on.

Now, you will have a seatbelt that will not bing anymore. This was originally found on the Legacy forums.

Happy driving, and I can't wait to hear more about these workarounds on BMWs.

- dow
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #43
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Quote:

def did a few high rev downshifts when I test drove a 335 with paddles...my audi is opposite
      03-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #44
imported_Ryan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Cab, 94 318 Cab

-The wipers are speed-linked. If you have them on '1' and come to a stop, they will go intermittent. If you have them on intermittent they will essentially turn off when you're stopped. As soon as you take off they will start again.

-If you stop fiddling with the dial on the dashboard vents, the climate control will reach the temperature you set :smile:

-The wheels are held on with bolts, not studs - remove all of them and the wheel falls off. There's a 'special tool' in the trunk for lining up the wheel when putting it back on.

-Holding the odo reset when you turn on the car will create a light show on the dash and test your gauges (they all go to max).

-If you own the car long enough the temperature / seatbelt chime will eventually stop working.

-When your dash says 'Service II', get ready for a big invoice.
Appreciate 0