Would you seriously consider a M2 CSL if they built it? 41 65.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

02-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Has there been any luck with coding to remove said "Active sound"?
Easy: it only takes to unplug the sound symposer device (on the top shelf - above the audio amplifier) and the "Active Sound Design" is brain dead. To revive: plug in again (source: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786318)

Name:  SoundSymposer.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  26.6 KB

Note the sound difference (unplugging is a bit like removing silicone breast implants...):

M135i with sound symposer plugged in (stock):

M135i with sound symposer unplugged:

02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Note the sound difference (unplugging is a bit like removing silicone breast implants...):
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you lose all speaker capabilities when you unplug the "sound symposer device".
If so, then I'd like to be able to code out the module that animates engine noise.

I prefer natural, NO IMPLANTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Easy: it only takes to unplug the sound symposer device (on the top shelf - above the audio amplifier) and the "Active Sound Design" is brain dead. To revive: plug in again (source: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786318)

Attachment 816173

M135i with sound symposer plugged in (stock):

M135i with sound symposer unplugged:

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that you lose all speaker capabilities when you unplug the "sound symposer device".
If so, then I'd like to be able to code out the module that animates engine noise.
I prefer natural, NO IMPLANTS!
You're correct. It was confirmed by both the M135i and M5 owners who performed the experiment, that by unplugging/disconnecting the "Sound Symposer" also the car's audio system appeared to be disabled.

Name:  Cow_Fake.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  23.8 KB
      02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

M550d got same system too. So only M-series got it, very special...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Not sure if you noticed I put it under the heading of "Engine"?.
You are right. I didn't. One could still argue that, since the starting baselines are different, the 1M would always stay ahead of the 135 in a tuning faceoff.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
You are right. I didn't. One could still argue that, since the starting baselines are different, the 1M would always stay ahead of the 135 in a tuning faceoff.
This topic has been discussed thoroughly but to sum it up they both have the same engine so they have the same potential.

I doubt anyone buys these cars and keeps them stock, for long. Such a waste to do that.

135i MT v 1M with same mods should be even, although the 1M will have a slight advantage with the LSD. However a 135i steptronic with same mods will eat a 1M in a straight line, all day too.

The difference comes down to the transmission. If you want to win consistently the auto is faster. I'm not saying its better or more fun, but it's consistently quicker.

In a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Being the OP I feel the need to bring this back to OT

Assuming the M2 WILL exist.

I want a factory order Clubsport option that has some/all of the following:
  • Lighter wider wheels/tyres (cup tyres maybe)
  • Better brakes
  • lightweight seats, al la the CRT M3
  • limited colours
  • lots of real worthwhile CF, door cards, interior inserts, boot-roof-bonnet
  • option cage w/rear seat delete
  • optimised tune (greater/better KW + Nm)
  • a6 speed g/box
  • a REAL exhaust note, not audio crap piped sound

That will do for starters.

AND BEST OF ALL, A EURO DELIVERY PROGRAMME FOR ANYONE WORLD WIDE WHO WANTS TO DO IT!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEJANDRO
I want a hatchback variant. that would make me very happy.

and please stay away from the headlights of the 2012 + series 1. they are disproportionate in size and make the car look dull.
I thought they WERE making an 'm1' or whatever they'll call it?

Ed: that is to say, if they're making an m2, an m1 should be on the cards?

Looking at the s3/rs3, the ultra hot hatch market is there.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK
BMW will never make one, as we know with the 1M, BMW cannot make a car more desirable/better performing than the M3 period.
That's what confuses me

They have no choice but to make the lower number m's the ridiculously fast models.. If they make one

They already have the m135i, and m235i upcoming. There's no way you'd buy an m2 that would have less power or potential power than a 1/235.. Or less than the old 1m for that matter.

Betwen the n55 and s55, there's not much room, and (imo) no roomfor a high power 4cyl.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #33
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
That's what confuses me

They have no choice but to make the lower number m's the ridiculously fast models.. If they make one

They already have the m135i, and m235i upcoming. There's no way you'd buy an m2 that would have less power or potential power than a 1/235.. Or less than the old 1m for that matter.

Betwen the n55 and s55, there's not much room, and (imo) no roomfor a high power 4cyl.
Here's to the M2 having the S55
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #34
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

If I were to want a M2 and retire the 1M (aka Adriana) what would it have to have and be like?????

Everything the 1M already is and 40% more!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I rather see a new M2 mass production car. [...] 6 cil turbo engine
Nope. Mark my words: the M2 will get a 4 cylinder layout. Confirmed already in the the Summer of 2010 that the M Division was already working on it. Forthcoming M3 will be based on the N55.

"The time window for this car [1M] [was] extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
We had initially toyed with the idea of a 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.
Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.
The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlighted when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation. Therefore slightly extending its life cycle.
When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale clay-model but since then some designers ideas have to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW greenlighted this car in July 2009, now over a year later we see it as it [is] intended, although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.
The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.
There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions. E82 1M is showing what is possible in a small time-frame. F22 1M [M2] will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions.
"

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=1
      02-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #36
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1mc View Post
If I were to want a M2 and retire the 1M (aka Adriana) what would it have to have and be like?????

Everything the 1M already is and 40% more!!!!
40% more weight. Yeah.

M2 a 4 cylinder maybe? If it gets a 300+ BHP superturbo engine plus it's about <1400kgs, I might give it a try, but come on: 6 cylinders sound 100% more fantastic than any 4 potter and is also very BMWish imo.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #37
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

The 328i 2litre is my bet, with mods? That's maybe why it isn't an option in the new 1er?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #38
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Theoretically speaking, if Mercedes is able to develop a 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo capable of matching or exceeding 1M output (at least on paper and at least for the kw/hp rather than tq) than BMW should be able to do that as well. With less weight it should better 1M and M135i straightline performance (it may remain a slight improvement) which will be good enough for most potential buyers to go with the new M2. I am not expecting a huge power/tq difference between M135i and M2 but they sure will be differentiated enough in every other area to make M2 as appealing. In a way, the same story between a 2011 135i and a 1M will likely repeat.

I believe a detuned S55 with interim output between next M3/M4 and a M135i will be the wrong choice for M2.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #39
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Theoretically speaking, if Mercedes is able to develop a 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo capable of matching or exceeding 1M output (at least on paper and at least for the kw/hp rather than tq) than BMW should be able to do that as well. With less weight it should better 1M and M135i straightline performance (it may remain a slight improvement) which will be good enough for most potential buyers to go with the new M2. I am not expecting a huge power/tq difference between M135i and M2 but they sure will be differentiated enough in every other area to make M2 as appealing. In a way, the same story between a 2011 135i and a 1M will likely repeat.
I believe a detuned S55 with interim output between next M3/M4 and a M135i will be the wrong choice for M2.
We all agree that the future entry level ///M coupé will be the M2.

However, it seems that we all disregard or overlook the possibility that BMW also might be secretly working on a project (at least brainstorming about it) to conceive an entry level ///M hatch. Otherwise stated: the M135i taken from the ///M package level to the ///M level.

...I know, but with good intentions: Metak conceived the following render to give us a sketchpad idea on how a 1M hatch might look (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17):

Name:  1M_Hatch_Metak_03.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  10.7 KBName:  1M_Hatch_Metak_02.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  11.2 KB
Name:  1M_Hatch_Metak_01.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  20.6 KB
      02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #40
Artemis
Rep

And here's a render of how the M2 might look (posted by Dackel: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=19)

Name:  M2_Coupe.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.3 KB
      02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #41
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

M235 have N55 engine and 300bhp. M2 maybe got 340bhp and that like number are hard to get I4 motor, whitout turbolag and get low rpm torque like I6 engine.
Appreciate 0