BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Intake valve cleaning in SC?

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting my intake valves cleaned in a few months, and I'm trying to find a shop who does it and for a good price. I dropped a line to a few places in Columbia, as well as the dealer, and I haven't heard anything back, or they can't do it.

Any place that does a good job for a good price around SC? I'm more than willing to do it myself, I just don't have any means to clean the valves once I get to them, and figured I might be able to find a shop to do it for about the same price, or a little more, for the tooling.

Last edited by Billytehbob; 02-14-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I'd really look into doing it yourself with the soak and scrub method. For the cost of some Brakleen and a gun cleaning kit with some deep reach brass brushes you can get them sparkling clean in an afternoon. I've done it three times now, twice on the 535i, once on the 135i and wouldn't even consider paying or doing the walnut shell method. Only tricky part can be getting your valves fully closed, but it's pretty apparent which are closed and which aren't once you get in there.

Plus I only trust a handful of people to work on my cars
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

I was wondering if that was a viable method, but having never taken the valve cover off, I didn't know what the space available was like to get in there with bore or brass brushes. I've got a couple rifles that like to cake carbon on the front of the muzzle, so I know how to attack it, and if that's a sure-fire method, I'll definitely look into it. I found a guy on the 3-series forum who's less than an hour from me and charges $300, but I definitely don't mind spending a lot less, since my time doesn't cost me anything
Appreciate 0