BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
TRAKULA
Rep
Drives: '12 135i '09 Viper ACR

Driver's side rear wheel deflecting

Howdy y'all!

I've got a question perhaps one of y'all can answer.

Any idea what would cause the driver's side rear wheel to deflect outward (top of wheel away from car)?

Car has newly installed Ohlins coilovers, M3 subframe bushings and control arms with Swift springs. Car was also corner balanced and aligned with -0.5 degree camber in rear. Wheels are 18" x 8.5" with 245/35 tires, so I don't think it is a matter of too large a wheel and tire combination. Also, ride height is stock and passenger wheel does not rub. Again, it only happens during mildly aggressive turning. I've had two BMW shops look at it and they say everything is tight and looks good.

Could this be bad bushing or sway bar issue? I think this might have been going on prior to the suspension upgrade (car had wider tires and wheels, so I thought it was that), so I'm not one to blame the new suspension components.

Thanks!!!
      09-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKULA View Post
Howdy y'all!

I've got a question perhaps one of y'all can answer.

Any idea what would cause the driver's side rear wheel to deflect outward (top of wheel away from car)?

Car has newly installed Ohlins coilovers, M3 subframe bushings and control arms with Swift springs. Car was also corner balanced and aligned with -0.5 degree camber in rear. Wheels are 18" x 8.5" with 245/35 tires, so I don't think it is a matter of too large a wheel and tire combination. Also, ride height is stock and passenger wheel does not rub. Again, it only happens during mildly aggressive turning. I've had two BMW shops look at it and they say everything is tight and looks good.

Could this be bad bushing or sway bar issue? I think this might have been going on prior to the suspension upgrade (car had wider tires and wheels, so I thought it was that), so I'm not one to blame the new suspension components.

Thanks!!!
Why so little camber in the rear? recommended setting is -1.8 degrees. Also, how do you know it's doing this? Have you recorded a video?

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 09-01-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Can you post a pic? I'm not sure I get what you're saying . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

What do you mean by deflect? As the suspension is in a compression, rebound or side forces applied?

You should have a lot more camber than -0.5 in the rear to start with. Where is your toe? The rear suspension should gain negative camber as it compresses and add toe in at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

What do you mean by deflect? As the suspension is in a compression, rebound or side forces applied?

You should have a lot more camber than -0.5 in the rear to start with. Where is your toe? The rear suspension should gain negative camber as it compresses and add toe in at the same time.
Appreciate 0