BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Hey guys, how was the install process on the Injen? Easy to put in/take out? I assume you remove the airbox and it connects to the same hose the airbox was connected to? Is it just the one screw to tighten or is it more complicated? Let me know, thanks!

took me 10 minutes both directions. that was with 8 beers in me already.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
What kind of louder? Does it still sound like a BMW, just meaner, or like a hopped up Corolla with a beer can exhaust?
Honestly, I think the loudness as a mix, does sound a little ricey, but does provide a nice deep performance sound at the same time. Definitely not like a hopped up Corolla with beer can exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #25
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
So is the consensus that this needs to be paired with an aftermarket exhaust to avoid throwing codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Quote:
So is the consensus that this needs to be paired with an aftermarket exhaust to avoid throwing codes?
I am looking for this answer as well. Does it not throw codes because of actually removing the O2 sensors in the B pipe? Won't this tweak out the computer some causing your mixture to be leaner and / or richer?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #27
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No doesn't throw codes with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #28
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson View Post
I am looking for this answer as well. Does it not throw codes because of actually removing the O2 sensors in the B pipe? Won't this tweak out the computer some causing your mixture to be leaner and / or richer?
If we are talking about the injen CAI install there is no removes of sensors. And doesn't throw codes with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #29
ManGGouste
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

... unless you've got my car.
I'm the unlucky one with my injen. I bought a KN drop in filter instead but I miss the CAI power.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Hmmm, then maybe I will try this out. Anyone in Montreal have this installed already? Would love to hear it in person before buying..

And anyone know a place to buy in Canada, don't want to pay duties/taxes from the US. Just to confirm, the part number is Sp1121P (or BLK for black)?

Last edited by supraking; 04-22-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, then maybe I will try this out. Anyone in Montreal have this installed already? Would love to hear it in person before buying..

And anyone know a place to buy in Canada, don't want to pay duties/taxes from the US. Just to confirm, the part number is Sp1121P (or BLK for black)?

not sure if this violates the forum rules but I have mine for sale and I live in TO. Make me an offer and its yours. And I have the black one and yes that is the part #
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #32
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
not sure if this violates the forum rules but I have mine for sale and I live in TO. Make me an offer and its yours. And I have the black one and yes that is the part #
How many KMs was it used for? Any issues or it was just the noise/resonance you weren't happy with? Physical condition? Original box/instructions/additional hardware included? Lastly, do you have the dry filter or the oiled filter? Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #33
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How many KMs was it used for? Any issues or it was just the noise/resonance you weren't happy with? Physical condition? Original box/instructions/additional hardware included? Lastly, do you have the dry filter or the oiled filter? Thanks..

About 3000kms total on it. I took it off cause of the noise, I was happy with the throttle response it offered but I can't stand resonance in the cockpit so when I had to take the car in for its annual service I put the car back to stock and haven't put it back in. Physical condition is basically brand new with one exception. In the install you have to rotate a clip on the power steering reservoir that rotation is nearly impossible to do so instead of destroying the clip trying to rotate it I left it where it was from the factory. What this did is scratched the surface of the pipe. But just surface paint scratch no metal is lost and it is not visible when installed because it is below the power steering reservoir.

It is a dry filter blue in colour. I don't have the box which was basically a generic cardboard box but I have everything else.

PM me if you want anymore info.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #34
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

I am with ethermal on this, I can't stand resonance in the car either from an intake or exhaust.

So Injen and BMW Performance are our only choices?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #35
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
I am with ethermal on this, I can't stand resonance in the car either from an intake or exhaust.

So Injen and BMW Performance are our only choices?
There's also aFe, they make an intake for the N52 but haven't read anything yet. Will do some more research on the resonance issue, I don't really want my car to be much louder from the inside either, only from the outside (with my windows down).

Ethermal, thanks for the info, will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #36
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There's also aFe, they make an intake for the N52 but haven't read anything yet. Will do some more research on the resonance issue, I don't really want my car to be much louder from the inside either, only from the outside (with my windows down).

Ethermal, thanks for the info, will let you know.
No worries post what you find on the others.

One thing to note with resonance is that some people cannot hear it while others can it all depends on the frequencies being generated.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #37
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

was wondering if the ones with droning are using at or mt? have a mt and do not have problems with droning ever, even with my exhaust (magnaflow). cruising around the city at 2-2.5 rpms and my car is nearly silent compared to stock setup. i hated how much droning came from the stock exhaust, wonder if that could be the culprit when just adding the injen. wish i could get some audio or video up but dont have any recording devices.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #38
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowiix View Post
was wondering if the ones with droning are using at or mt? have a mt and do not have problems with droning ever, even with my exhaust (magnaflow). cruising around the city at 2-2.5 rpms and my car is nearly silent compared to stock setup. i hated how much droning came from the stock exhaust, wonder if that could be the culprit when just adding the injen. wish i could get some audio or video up but dont have any recording devices.
Mine is a MT. The thing with droning and resonance is that not everyone will hear it, it all depends on what frequencies they are sensitive to. A guy I car pooled with had a focus and did some exhaust work and I got in his car and to my ears the drone was horrible and yet he thought it was quieter then stock. As another example I can hear the hum of fluorescent lights and the hum most CRT monitors and TVs make which most other people can't. Doesn't mean I have good hearing because I don't i just happen to be sensitive to that frequency range.

The other thing with droning is that sound recording devices can't pick it up. In my integra I had horrible droning I used all manner of recording devices to try to capture it and I couldn't hear it when I played it back the droning wasn't there. When I talked to my father in law about it he mentioned that most droning is caused by pressure variations caused by the intruding sound that resonates at the same frequency of the natural resonance of the interior cabin. I'm not expert at this and i'm not sure i'm even explaining what he told me correctly but I think it is a rather complex thing, that car engineers spend a lot time engineering out of vehicles.

As for the resonance that the injen was making it was most apparent in the passenger seat and it was right about at 4000 rpms at about quarter throttle. Full throttle through that range and you got no resonance and at cruising range 2000-3000 you never got it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #39
Light_Em_Up
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
Mine is a MT. The thing with droning and resonance is that not everyone will hear it, it all depends on what frequencies they are sensitive to. A guy I car pooled with had a focus and did some exhaust work and I got in his car and to my ears the drone was horrible and yet he thought it was quieter then stock. As another example I can hear the hum of fluorescent lights and the hum most CRT monitors and TVs make which most other people can't. Doesn't mean I have good hearing because I don't i just happen to be sensitive to that frequency range.

The other thing with droning is that sound recording devices can't pick it up. In my integra I had horrible droning I used all manner of recording devices to try to capture it and I couldn't hear it when I played it back the droning wasn't there. When I talked to my father in law about it he mentioned that most droning is caused by pressure variations caused by the intruding sound that resonates at the same frequency of the natural resonance of the interior cabin. I'm not expert at this and i'm not sure i'm even explaining what he told me correctly but I think it is a rather complex thing, that car engineers spend a lot time engineering out of vehicles.

As for the resonance that the injen was making it was most apparent in the passenger seat and it was right about at 4000 rpms at about quarter throttle. Full throttle through that range and you got no resonance and at cruising range 2000-3000 you never got it.
Yes, exactly, it's all about the frequency of the noise exciting the natural resonant frequency of the cabin, trunk, etc. I have the BMW Performance Intake - no resonant issues - just lots of adrenalin making noise under full throttle over 4500 RPM. The BMW Performance exhaust I also have - very nice in every way except, I live in the hills and when driving uphill at part throttle the resonance between 2500 & 3000 ruins my ride (lots of pressure on my ears), whereas no one on the forum or that I've talked to has reported this issue with the BMW Perf exhaust. Even with the stock exhaust when climbing a hill and I depress the throttle to the point where the muffler flap opens the drone appears just to the point of being annoying. I remember that with my 5.0 Mustang it took me months of screwing around to get the power sound without the resonance. So I'm sure that it's achievable with 1er - just at what cost. For those that have the tunes regularly cranked, I doubt that the resonance issue would come up.
      04-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #40
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I just looked into my engine bay today and it looks like this install might be a bit tight. Did instructions come with your intakes? Or are there instructions online somewhere? Can't seem to find.

I figure it's straightforward, but there's a wire clipped to the airbox and ethermal mentioned removing a screw on the power steering reservoir, so just want a bit more info. If I can't install/remove on my own I'm not going to bother with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #41
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just looked into my engine bay today and it looks like this install might be a bit tight. Did instructions come with your intakes? Or are there instructions online somewhere? Can't seem to find.

I figure it's straightforward, but there's a wire clipped to the airbox and ethermal mentioned removing a screw on the power steering reservoir, so just want a bit more info. If I can't install/remove on my own I'm not going to bother with it.
No screw needs to be removed you just have to rotate one of the clamps on one of the hoses so that clamp itself doesn't have scratch the intake. The instructions were all basically a series of pictures they came on some photo copied sheets of paper. I don't have a scanner otherwise I would scan them for you. email injen maybe they can email you a pdf.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #42
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Em_Up View Post
The BMW Performance exhaust I also have - very nice in every way except, I live in the hills and when driving uphill at part throttle the resonance between 2500 & 3000 ruins my ride (lots of pressure on my ears), whereas no one on the forum or that I've talked to has reported this issue with the BMW Perf exhaust. Even with the stock exhaust when climbing a hill and I depress the throttle to the point where the muffler flap opens the drone appears just to the point of being annoying.
Is there a golf tee mod for the performance exhaust? Does the performance exhaust even have the flap in it?

I tested a 128 with the performance exhaust on a auto cross track and I remember the sound outside the car was awesome and I don't recall any interior noise or droning however they made us keep the windows open the entire time. Once I sell the injen intake i'm going to pick up the BMW performance intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #43
Light_Em_Up
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128is

The performance exhaust does not have the flap. If it did, I think that my drone problem would not be. But then, as the flap only opens under low vacuum (read signifcant throttle opening) the exhaust would be too quiet when idling or lightly accelerating. To note is that windows open significantly attenuates the cabin resonance.

As to the BMW performance intake, I experienced a noticeable improvement in throttle response (slightly faster and more linear). Note however that I did remove (cut out) the carbon filter element which stays with the PI installation. There is a very good DIY procedure in the Forum for the intake installation and also one or two detailed discussions and procedures for removing the carbon filter.
      05-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #44
supraking
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Just installed the Injen last night. Took the car to be detailed today, and it's definitely noticeably louder above 3000 RPM as others have said. A slight drone when I pass the 2100 mark but it's nothing that bothers me, I have to be listening for it to hear it.

Haven't really opened her up yet, my car is being detailed today, but I'll report back soon.
Appreciate 0