BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Road & Track First Drive: BMW 135i Coupe

BMW 135i Coupe: A BMW Renaissance

First Drive: BMW 135i Coupe

Don't let this Bavarian's smaller size fool you; it's still a performance white-knuckler.

By Shaun Bailey Photos by Marc Urbano

February 2008

Munich, Germany — The BMW 2002tii is clearly the predecessor of the 3 Series. It was a 2-door, 4-passenger, rear-drive, 130-horsepower 2+2 sports coupe. But the 3 Series has grown considerably bigger and vastly heavier than it was in the 1980s. With the 3 Series moving up the ladder, there is room now at the bottom for a smaller, lighter 2+2. And this, of course, is the BMW 1 Series.

Therefore, it was no surprise that the 1 Series was shown to the U.S. media in the presence of a vintage 1972 Inka Orange 2002tii. The 2008 BMW 135i is the top-of-the-line 1 Series coming to our shores in March; well also receive the 128i. But the U.S. will see only the coupe body style, unlike on the other side of the pond where they sell 3- and 5-door versions with the usual mishmash of smaller engines.

We, of course, get the big gasoline engines taken directly from the 3 Series, which isnt much of a surprise as the 1 Series is produced on a modified 3 Series chassis, albeit shorter by nearly 10 in. Its wheelbase is reduced by exactly 4 in., yet its weight is cut only by about 200 lb. to 3371 lb.not exactly the featherweight we'd hoped for. Although it is taller, its also slightly narrower. It gains over an inch in height, giving it a box-on-wheels look, much like the original 2002. We like it, but wish it had gone on a diet to save another 200 lb.

Journalists were flown to Sweden to drive the car on the Gotland Ring — a flowing circuit with minimal straightaways. Upon arrival we found a gaggle of 135is, all in the same Sedona Red Metallic paint that is exclusive to the 1 Series. Each was equipped with the standard 6-speed manual. A Steptronic 6-speed automatic is optional for both models, as are steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Our car had an optional Boston leather interior, while Leatherette is standard. Interior trim is either of two dark woods or bright aluminum.

The car is not a 3 Series, but it might as well be a variation of it. There is nothing overt that would make the 1 Series any less expensive than a 3 Series, other than its size. The iDrive navigation is optional, as is a nifty USB port for iPods or memory sticks filled with MP3s — dont worry, though, a standard auxiliary input is still there. With the 135i costing around four grand less than a 3 Series, BMW could have a real winner on its hands.

The 300-horsepower direct-injected twin-turbo inline-6 feels just as it does in the 335i — divine. The 135i comes standard with M Sports Suspension, an upgrade option for the 128i. Of note are the brakes: massive 6-piston front calipers sit inside the 18-in. wheels; even the rears have 2-piston calipers. This is unusual, as BMW has long used floating calipers; even the new M3 retains what many consider inferior brake components.

I will attest to the 135is road-holding abilities. It drives like a proper BMW sports sedan, but with a decided tendency to understeer. Even with all stability control disabled, it was overly difficult to induce oversteer. This was likely due to litigation fears of possible over-rotation caused by the shortened wheelbase and excessive power from the turbo-6.

At sub-limit handling, the 135i is like a crisper 335i, with sharp response and a nimble character. The 135i will be a great platform for a race car. Wider rear tires surely help to keep the rear planted, as does the lack of a limited-slip differential. Instead of a true LSD, the car is equipped with a system that controls wheelspin through the brakes — essentially a speed-sensitive differential, but clearly one that focuses on safety rather than performance.

At the Tokyo Motor Show, BMW unveiled the tii concept — a lightened performance-minded 135i. This might be hinting at a full M version to come soon. We know the cabriolet is well on its way, so we can hope by 2009 there will be a truly sporting 135i. Then BMW can reestablish itself as a true drivers brand throughout its range

Slideshow: BMW 135i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Thank you for that. I would assume it is too early for the February issue to be on the news stand...

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Thanks for posting!

I'm still waiting for non-Gotland Ring tests by the major auto rags. I think we'll see them pretty darned soon. The Clarkson scribbles were pretty cool, and seemed to be more real world than the bagillion press event columns.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Best quote from article:

"At sub-limit handling, the 135i is like a crisper 335i, with sharp response and a nimble character. The 135i will be a great platform for a race car."
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

What a lifeless review.

There are about three lines about what this "first drive" actually felt like and the rest is the same recycled hash. He clearly didn't choose the title, as nothing he wrote suggested the experience left him "white-knuckled". And anytime I think of the word "divine" I think of chocolate cake and...nevermind. Certainly not an inline 6 generating 306 horsepower.

I want to know what it felt like to drive the car. There are post by loyal readers of this webpage that have done a far better job.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

+1 They basically told us: BMW has made a small powerful car that isnt perfect......but close.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

All the Gotland Ring reviews have been pretty much the same. Not sure why Road & Track took so long to get theirs out.

One thing that struck me though - the Gotland Rings 135s had chromeline trim, which I think means they did not have the sport package? Or maybe I am relying too much on the U.S. configurations as a guide. Maybe those 135s at Gotland weren't "U.S. 135s"

Granted, ZSP on the 135 isn't the normal fare, because the sport suspension is standard regardless. It is just 1000 bucks for the sport seats and some cosmetics. Not to say the sport seats aren't great, I like them.
Appreciate 0