BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

A story about instant gratification and my 128i (semi-long)

On the back of some new mods (225/45/17 square PSS on lightweight wheels, M3 control arms and tension struts, RSFB inserts) I had an awesome experience today in my 128i after leaving the alignment shop. Figured I'd use some of my day off to share it with you lot.

Living in the Bay Area has its ups and its downs, but the abundance of fun roads is definitely one of the highlights. While waiting for my alignment at Auto Innovations in Milpitas, I scoped out roads in the gentle mountains to my east and found one that looked zig-zaggier than my six year old's average route while walking directly in front of me.

The road turned out to be a fairly slow, curvy thing with lots of blind corners and barely enough room for two cars to pass in most areas. No lines. I ran at about a six tenths pace, slower around the blind corners, getting a feel for my new suspension bits. The steering is definitely more precise, with less slop and more road feel transmitted into my grubby mitts. The ass end responds better too; it doesn't want to kick out at my medium pace but remains grippy and planted. Still, I can still tell it would plow if I really got on it (factory M-sport suspension and sways) but it's a damn sight better than stock.

Suddenly I'm distracted by a shiny red thing in my rear view mirror. A Guards Red 911 Targa. Strangely fitting, as I was just listening to some Kavinsky on the way over. The 911 closes on me over the next minute or two, since I'm pussyfooting around on this new-to-me road. I eagerly wave him by and give him a thumbs up, not wanting to lead the guy who's probably driven this road many times. He gives me a peace sign as he takes the lead. How Californian.

For roughly the last three years, I've wanted an air-cooled 911. A 3.2 Targa, to be specific. Surging prices and a lack of time for me to invest in classic car upkeep sent me ultimately to the 128i, a newer car that I hoped would have the soul I was looking for, but be a little more friendly to my life.

For the next 20 or so minutes, I kept him in my sights, alternating between reveling in the moment and thinking about the similarities in our cars. His 911 was an SC, slightly faded paint showing its 35 or so years. For the uninitiated, an SC has a 3.0L flat-six, normally aspirated, down on power from my 128i by 50hp but also down on weight by something like 600 pounds (figuring 2550 vs. 3150). I can't tell if his car has power mods, or how hard he's pushing it, but we're running at a very similar pace.

These are definitely cars with some of the same DNA in their bones, piloted by drivers who prioritize the same things: character, simplicity, going for an aimless drive on a weekday off work. At the end of our drive, we parted ways and waved to each other. I'm left loving my 128i, glad I bought what I did when I did, and a little less sad I didn't get a 911. I might buy a Carerra GTS in a decade though. My six year old better get a scholarship.

If you enjoyed my ramblings, check this out too: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...mw-128i-sport/

And naturally this was the day I didn't bring the GoPro along...
Appreciate 5
      03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Sounds like you had a good drive! I've considered suspension mods for my base 128i because the stock settings just allow too much body roll and under steer but I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole I want to go on it.

And I would have followed the old Porsche also. Those things are too cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Good post. I got the RSFB inserts a little while back. At 43k I can feel the shocks beginning to loosen up a bit so in looking at some upgrades to my 135i Msport suspension. Not sure when but its on my list.

Been thinking about similar upgrades. Did you remove the camber pins also?

How would you describe the difference w/ the M3 control arms?
      03-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Yes, I removed the camber pins along with the M3 arms. I only got -1.0* front camber, though, and -2.2* in the rear, so I might add the Dinan camber plates at some point in the future to try and even that out.

The car definitely turns more accurately and transmits much more road feel to the steering wheel. Think of it like a video game controller with or without the rumble feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
SHKDOWN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe MSport Jet Blk

Well written, squidge! Great cars, great story, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Thanks for capturing what driving means to me: appreciation and enjoyment of the machine and the journey.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Great Sunday morning read!