E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Sport Package/Run-Flat tire problem

05-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, MT, SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sport Package/Run-Flat tire problem

I know this should probably be in the Wheels and Tire discussion forum, but considering there are usually like 2 people on it, I wanted to make sure it was seen by all.

Has anyone else had to deal with the national Bridgestone tire back-order for the Run-Flats on the 330i sport package?

Unfortunately I had 4 flat tires at the same time (I don't know what the chances of that are) and I had to pay $40/tire to get fixed. They had a hard time removing the tires and damaged two of my rims in the process :mad: . A couple of days later, my left rear tire developed a large bulge causing my car to shake violently while driving. I took it back to the tire shop and they told me it was because I hit a pothole. Considering I drive the same route every day and knowing I have not hit a pot-hole, I'm sure the damage was done during the tire removal process a couple of days before. I think they damaged the sidewalls in the process.

Well, I have no choice but to replace the tire since they refused to pay for it or give me a deal on the tire saying it was my fault I hit a pothole (which I didn't).

The problem is, there is a nationwide back-order and there's no telling when the tire will be available. I've contacted 6 local tire shops, my dealer, and Tire Rack. No tires are available and I was told there is a nationwide back-order.

Apparently, there are no other run-flat models available for the rear of my car either.

Considering the car has no spare or jack and a runflat being a safer tire, I don't want anything other than a run-flat considering the car was designed for them.

I want to see if anyone else is in the same boat. Paying for technology on the car, that no matter what, I can't use right now when I need a new tire. I'm going to have to borrow my grandfathers 84 Buick for who knows how many weeks until I get a replacement tire (I know...wah, wah, wah...)

I know many people have switched to non-runflats, but I have come to appreciate the fact that in case of a blow-out or flat tire at high speeds, I can control my car and not risk possible loss of control.

I just think it sucks that BMW, after giving a tire manufacturer a contract to supply their cars with tires, didn't require them to provide sufficient spare parts. I hope they catch up on production by the time the real demand for tires comes. I have 24k miles on my car and I know I'm requiring new tires earlier than the average time, but the demand is sure to increase in the following months.

Thanks for letting me rant. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
wrtworld
Rep
Drives:

Try the following place

www.tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Wow, that is bad luck - four tires at once. If they damaged your rims, you should get some compensation. Changing run flats is a bit of an art and requires special tools: "Today’s run-flat tires all have stiff sidewalls (see Figure 2). This means older conventional tire changing equipment may not be used. Equipment makers have special equipment and procedures to mount run-flat tires. The bead must be carefully pressed off the seat on the wheel. One company that makes wheel-changing equipment has produced a five-page manual specifically for mounting and demounting run-flat tires. The manual explains how mounting this type of tire can't be hurried. With run-flat tires, patience is required "to give the bead time to relax." Tire changing machines designed for use with run-flat tires use rollers to slowly press the bead off the wheel, and special tools to keep the bead unseated during the process. During mounting the bead must be well lubricated and air pressure kept below 40 psi."

Why don't you order the tires from Canadian supplier? Here in Europe there is no shortage....I just replaced mine...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks but I already did. I mentioned it above. Tire Rack is also backordered...it's nationwide.

Appreciate it anyways
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Speak to BMW NA customer care

I would expect a loaner car while they source the tires
      05-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo
Wow, that is bad luck - four tires at once. If they damaged your rims, you should get some compensation. Changing run flats is a bit of an art and requires special tools: "Today’s run-flat tires all have stiff sidewalls (see Figure 2). This means older conventional tire changing equipment may not be used. Equipment makers have special equipment and procedures to mount run-flat tires. The bead must be carefully pressed off the seat on the wheel. One company that makes wheel-changing equipment has produced a five-page manual specifically for mounting and demounting run-flat tires. The manual explains how mounting this type of tire can't be hurried. With run-flat tires, patience is required "to give the bead time to relax." Tire changing machines designed for use with run-flat tires use rollers to slowly press the bead off the wheel, and special tools to keep the bead unseated during the process. During mounting the bead must be well lubricated and air pressure kept below 40 psi."

Why don't you order the tires from Canadian supplier? Here in Europe there is no shortage....I just replaced mine...
Wow...first time I read something about specifics on changing runflats.

I figured this is why they charge $40 per tire to fix them vs. the usual $15-20, but they charged me a lot and changed them in a conventional way. That's what damaged my tires. I'm going to take this to the corporate level at Tire Kingdom.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Good luck - try and take a picture of the equipment they used to change your tires. If you can prove that they used the wrong technique/tire machine, you should have a good case.....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good luck - try and take a picture of the equipment they used to change your tires. If you can prove that they used the wrong technique/tire machine, you should have a good case.....
Good idea...I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Was this the dealer you were working with, or some tire shop? I think what is just as upsetting is the crappy attitudes the businesses have these days. You can try BMW NA, and good luck - but from what I've heard you'll be lucky if they give you the time of day.

Sorry about your woes, and I agree with the concern over ample production. I suppose this was a semi-known risk we all took when we bought a car equipped with emerging technology for tires. I think when I get close to the time to replace mine, but within several thousand miles, I'm going to order the new ones just so I'll know I have them.

Let us know how you make out... GOOD LUCK.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

The other OEM tire that is supplied in europe for these wheels is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure Runflat

You could try and locate some of these

But I think BMW NA should be made aware, since they could bring some in by air
      05-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Was this the dealer you were working with, or some tire shop? I think what is just as upsetting is the crappy attitudes the businesses have these days. You can try BMW NA, and good luck - but from what I've heard you'll be lucky if they give you the time of day.

Sorry about your woes, and I agree with the concern over ample production. I suppose this was a semi-known risk we all took when we bought a car equipped with emerging technology for tires. I think when I get close to the time to replace mine, but within several thousand miles, I'm going to order the new ones just so I'll know I have them.

Let us know how you make out... GOOD LUCK.
I had no choice but to deal with a local tire shop because the dealer told me they do not patch Run-Flat tires. They told me to buy new tires! Considering they cost $350 a piece at the dealer and they are not in stock, I had no choice. They said it just like that..."Sorry man, you need to buy new tires".
Like it's that easy to spend $1600 when I get flats. Unbelievable.

I think if BMW is going to provide us with these tires, at least make the necessary improvements to the service department to fix flat tires. They are pretty common, and for them to simply tell you "buy new tires"? That just sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Hey Fleet - do the Zero Pressure Michelin's take that special rim and insert? I know they have a different technology than Bridgestone...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Speak to BMW NA customer care
This whole nation-wide backorder thing really needs to get laid at the feet of BMWNA. They can't control their supplier's but f-in-a they are the ones that forced the RFT technology onto us as consumers ... and it just so happens only *1* supplier makes an RFT tire in the correct size for our OE application.

It's my feeling that BMWNA should be responsible for finding you a tire, or having Bridgestone import them into the US direct from Japan for us to purchase.

I would think if the automotive press were to get a hold of this, it would be a really bad PR event for BMW. 'BMW makes RFT technology standard equipment on New 3, recommends punctured tire be replaced instead of repaired. However, supply chain snafu leaves hundreds of thousands of customers with no way to replace punctured tire.' Yeah, I can see that going over real well with potential new customers. If I were about to take delivery I'd be saying, no thanks I think I'll wait, or you can buy me a new set of non-RFT tires. And I'd have a belly laugh at the tire replacement warranty sales pitch.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Hey Fleet - do the Zero Pressure Michelin's take that special rim and insert? I know they have a different technology than Bridgestone...
The "Zero Pressure" Michelins work exactly like the Bridgestones.
They are supplied as OEM tire in Europe together with the Bridgestones

Michelin also has a diferent type of system that uses a special insert thhat the car runs on, but this is not what im talking about.
      05-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

E90 - you can get the Bridgestones here in Italy too...I bought a couple of spares just in case....Also, I am looking at the Blizzak LM-25's for winter tires - are they any good?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
This whole nation-wide backorder thing really needs to get laid at the feet of BMWNA. They can't control their supplier's but f-in-a they are the ones that forced the RFT technology onto us as consumers ... and it just so happens only *1* supplier makes an RFT tire in the correct size for our OE application.

It's my feeling that BMWNA should be responsible for finding you a tire, or having Bridgestone import them into the US direct from Japan for us to purchase.

I would think if the automotive press were to get a hold of this, it would be a really bad PR event for BMW. 'BMW makes RFT technology standard equipment on New 3, recommends punctured tire be replaced instead of repaired. However, supply chain snafu leaves hundreds of thousands of customers with no way to replace punctured tire.' Yeah, I can see that going over real well with potential new customers. If I were about to take delivery I'd be saying, no thanks I think I'll wait, or you can buy me a new set of non-RFT tires. And I'd have a belly laugh at the tire replacement warranty sales pitch.
Im shure they could get some quickly
Especially seeing as the Z4 uses the same ones on their 18" wheels

They could also fly some in from the central parts depot in Germany
      05-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #17
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Why cant more tire companies offer the right size rf tires for our vehicles... It would mean a lot of business for them if they offered competition for the bridgestones...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
E90 - you can get the Bridgestones here in Italy too...I bought a couple of spares just in case....
Yes, as I said in Europe the 18" sport wheels come with either the Michelin or the Bridgestone tires
      05-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
I had no choice but to deal with a local tire shop because the dealer told me they do not patch Run-Flat tires. They told me to buy new tires! Considering they cost $350 a piece at the dealer and they are not in stock, I had no choice. They said it just like that..."Sorry man, you need to buy new tires".
Like it's that easy to spend $1600 when I get flats. Unbelievable.

I think if BMW is going to provide us with these tires, at least make the necessary improvements to the service department to fix flat tires. They are pretty common, and for them to simply tell you "buy new tires"? That just sucks.
If the tire shop is run flat certified, they should have known what to do.

Also, you can only repair the tires if you haven´t driven on them with no air in them. If you drove on them when they had no air, they cannot be repaired
and a certified RF shop can determine this.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
UPDATE

Update:

I went back to my local shop this morning and met with the main manager...and after examining the tire with the bulge (which had grown to be about 1/3 the circumference of the tire) he came to the conclusion that the damage was done by them. He gave me two options:

1. They will have my wheels refinished...all 4 of them the guy said, so that the paint color will match, and he would pro-rate my tires (which are almost down to the tread marker)
Cost to me: roughly $500 when the wheels become available

2. They will replace my two rear tires with new Bridgestone Run-flats. My rims stay chipped but at least it's the original factory finish and not some guy painting them and clearcoating them. But I have to live with the chips in the wheels.
Cost to me: Zero

I think I'm going to go with the new tires and live with the chips.

In the meantime, they mounted a matching size non-runflat Nitto so I can drive around until the new tires come in...no telling when.

I guess I'm pretty satisfied but I have to deal with chipped 162's. And this tire backorder thing is ridiculous but hopefully they'll fix it soon.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Another note about the Bridgestone Run-Flats...

After contacting Tire Rack wholesale and various other wholesalers, the manager told me that he could probably get an Emergency Release. He explained that there is a small supply of tires that manufacturers keep in case there is some sort of emergency need.

Apparently that supply has already been exhausted. There are absolutely no tires available until a new production run is made. The only tires available are at whatever shops and service centers still have left. I'm sure they can be found, but no one down here has them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #22
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Someone needs to post this in the "why abandon rft" thread..........

I am glad mine will be gone in just a few days!

Jesse
Appreciate 0