BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Rear Alignment

What do you men and women know about rear alignment in these cars? Specifically, I have a camber problem at the RR (wear at the very inside of the tire is severe, but only on the right).

I'm fixin' to put new tires on the car this week (PSS, I suppose) and I guess I'll speak with the shop about an alignment... but my experience over the years tells me the least experienced guy in the shop runs the alignment rack... and with that I've always tried to deal with this myself (there are all sorts of notes on the interwebs about DIY alignment... it's especially easy to do the front yourself with a few simple tools, but four-wheel gets to be a bit of a challenge).
      01-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

My BMW dealer offers a four wheel alignment special for $99 just about all the time. Personally, I would have my new PSS's mounted and then head immediately over to the dealer for a fresh alignment.

As for your RR inside wear... I have 19,361 miles on my PSS's and wear on all four tires is pretty even. Maybe you are hot-footing it around the same set of curves every day on your normal commute and this just happens to be the part of the tire that takes the most abuse.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Toe is 10X more important than camber when it comes to uneven wear. Your toe is probably off.

If the toe is off by only 1/8", it is the equivalent of dragging the tire sideways 28 feet for every mile you drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
My BMW dealer offers a four wheel alignment special for $99 just about all the time. Personally, I would have my new PSS's mounted and then head immediately over to the dealer for a fresh alignment.

As for your RR inside wear... I have 19,361 miles on my PSS's and wear on all four tires is pretty even. Maybe you are hot-footing it around the same set of curves every day on your normal commute and this just happens to be the part of the tire that takes the most abuse.

Peace... Mack
Damn $99 for a dealer alignment is a steal!! Local stealership here charges $199, they used to offer coupons but its been a while.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I managed about 13K miles on factory RFTs. The fronts still have a way to go, but the rears are just about down to the tread bars... and getting things apart to do my brakes over the weekend was a bit of a surprise as the inside of the RR is down to below the tread (smoooove)... something not readily apparent with the wheel on the car (or at least I hadn't looked closely enough). And so new Conti DWs are on the way... hopefully by the weekend (nobody locally can get PSSes and I don't feel like dealing with TireRack).

I need to get the backend of this thing straight. The car is factory and I don't believe the PO beat on it (RSFBs look new) and most of my driving is 2 miles to the gym and a few more to the beach (home office, I have no commute). No evidence or record of it having been hit, but I suppose anything is possible.
      01-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
...The car is factory and I don't believe the PO beat on it (RSFBs look new) and most of my driving is 2 miles to the gym and a few more to the beach (home office, I have no commute). No evidence or record of it having been hit, but I suppose anything is possible.
Prolly not the case here, but I have to say...I have purchased several new cars in my life that came from the factory with abysmal alignments. Volkswagens from Germany have been the worst. Tires were wearing like yours in a very short time.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

When you drop it off ask for a printout of the alignment so you can see the before/after!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
When you drop it off ask for a printout of the alignment so you can see the before/after!
Ditto. Always good practice.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

My first thought is maybe a bushing has gone awry.
If you don't have the ambition/ability to check over the arms/bushings; then use a good shop to do the alignment and have the look the parts over well.
Appreciate 0