BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #67
JordoM3
Rep
Drives:

I also meant to add shadowline trim to the list of missing elements, which is much more appealing IMO than chrome.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #68
Garris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 330I, Topaz Blue

Interesting so far...

Here are my $0.02...

- OVERALL: Looks very nice. Much better than I expected overall and, if priced right and well engineered, it could be legendary.

- BMW really becomes the first luxuy maker to enter the premium subcompact market in the US diving straight in with a model specifically designed for it rather than just dipping their toes in the water by bringing over some stripper already for sale elsewhere (A3, all previous BMW/MB efforts). It'll be interesting to see how it's received (my guess is very well).

- Weakest view: From the front, clearly... Are some aftermarket edgings for the light assembly made that reduce the "bug eyed" exophthalmos look (similar to the spy tape BMW was using on the prototypes)?

- Strongest views: Clearly the front and rear 3/4 views, which are fantastic.

- Styling overall: A wonderful synthesis of current and previous BMW ideas. 1 series front, more E46 greenhouse, and hints of both the new 3 coupe and previous 3 coupe in the rear lighting and stance. The flanks and dash have clear familial relationships to the Z4. The center console, like all 1's, also tilts towards the driver like the prevous BMW's of old.

- Retractable i-drive screen is far better implementation than the "hump" of the current 3-7 series...

- Are the current photos of the 135i with the M-aero kit?

PERSONALLY: I was looking at waiting a bit for a certified pre-owned 335i coupe, but now I'm not sure. Same engine, lighter and more tossable piece, and with some preferred elements (retractable i-drive, dash tilted towards driver, etc) that, frankly, make far more sense for the stop-and-go, around town driving that I do in a dense, European-eque Northeastern city... Can't wait to drive one!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #69
JordoM3
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garris View Post
Here are my $0.02...

- OVERALL: Looks very nice. Much better than I expected overall and, if priced right and well engineered, it could be legendary.

- BMW really becomes the first luxuy maker to enter the premium subcompact market in the US diving straight in with a model specifically designed for it rather than just dipping their toes in the water by bringing over some stripper already for sale elsewhere (A3, all previous BMW/MB efforts). It'll be interesting to see how it's received (my guess is very well).

- Weakest view: From the front, clearly... Are some aftermarket edgings for the light assembly made that reduce the "bug eyed" exophthalmos look (similar to the spy tape BMW was using on the prototypes)?

- Strongest views: Clearly the front and rear 3/4 views, which are fantastic.

- Styling overall: A wonderful synthesis of current and previous BMW ideas. 1 series front, more E46 greenhouse, and hints of both the new 3 coupe and previous 3 coupe in the rear lighting and stance. The flanks and dash have clear familial relationships to the Z4. The center console, like all 1's, also tilts towards the driver like the prevous BMW's of old.

- Retractable i-drive screen is far better implementation than the "hump" of the current 3-7 series...

- Are the current photos of the 135i with the M-aero kit?

PERSONALLY: I was looking at waiting a bit for a certified pre-owned 335i coupe, but now I'm not sure. Same engine, lighter and more tossable piece, and with some preferred elements (retractable i-drive, dash tilted towards driver, etc) that, frankly, make far more sense for the stop-and-go, around town driving that I do in a dense, European-eque Northeastern city... Can't wait to drive one!
See my previous post; but:

From everything that I have read so far, the M Sports Package is supposed to include (aside from what we cannot see): Shadowline trim, Anthracite roof lining, M logo doorsill trims, an M leather sport steering wheel, an M logo footrest for the driver’s left foot, special rocker sills and foglamps. None of the pics show any of these elements. I do not think that we have seen everything yet...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #70
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Good first post, Garris. I agree with most of your observations. Not as preoccupied as some with the shape of the headlamps. I think the alternative would have been a more mundane rectangular shape that would have brought the car somewhat short of having a really distinct character.

I think it is very much a BMW. Proportions are, for me, ideal. As coupés go, this is far and away a better shape that the 3-series coupe.

Equally puzzled by observations on the M Sport features. We'll have to see...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #71
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Couple more different angles

Attachment 1089

Attachment 1090
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #72
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoBMW View Post
That's what I'm getting at. Its causing quit a stir of commotion amongst the 335i owners. How would you feel if you couldn't check your own oil? The car just tells you it may need oil, but you have no clue as to how much to add, a 1/4 quart, 1/2 quart, whole quart, etc... This would drive me nuts worrying. I do all my own repairs on my E30 and E46.

BMW might as well weld the hood shut.
That issue to me is like the runflat issue. Its great and convienent that you have an oil level indication on the dashboard in the newer BMW's, but there is no reason why you couldn't also have a dipsitck as a backup in case the sensor failed, or to double check the accuracy. Deleting the dipstick all togher was a mistake.

Similarly, the runflats are a great option for women and anyone else who would rather go that route, but for the people who actually do have problem solving skills and can fend for themselves (in the rare event of an emergency) just give us regular tires and a spare.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #73
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Um, whats shadowline trim? Sorry haven't heard of this before. Even though I'm on my second bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #74
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I don't see any cup holders.. Not again! :frown:
Sorry, I don't have time to go find it at the moment, but if you look at the interior picture that Advevo took of the grey car that was out in a parking lot, you can see one of those alien surgical instruments that every 6 Series comes with - you know, the thing that is supposed to be a cup holder that plugs into the console?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #75
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

No dipstick, no cloth seats, headlights kinda just look bad.... But I'd still snatch one up for $35k. Add a couple g's for the sports package and I'm good.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #76
davidl
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325, 91 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
Um, whats shadowline trim? Sorry haven't heard of this before. Even though I'm on my second bmw.
Shadowline trim is the black trim in place of the chrome trim that goes around the windows. 328 gets the shadow line and 335 gets the chrome trim. I prefer the shadowline.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #77
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

At least we got tire sizes from them.. 215 front/245 rear on 135..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
Even on AutoWeek, nothing on transmission choices or vehicle weights...

Inlined pictures for the lazy...

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #78
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
I think it is very much a BMW. Proportions are, for me, ideal. As coupés go, this is far and away a better shape that the 3-series coupe.
definitely. i was very disappointed with the 3er coupe. i really like the back now, although as was said it would probably look better with dual exhausts but if there were significant weight savings im glad they didnt do it. great car. that profile is AWESOME. although it does look a bit goofy or saggy in that pic above from almost straight on, i think it is the result of having such a high shoulderline so you see too much of the hood, details on teh headlights and bumper are very pleasing to me.

i fuckin love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #79
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
Shadowline trim is the black trim in place of the chrome trim that goes around the windows. 328 gets the shadow line and 335 gets the chrome trim. I prefer the shadowline.

Hmmm, I like that idea, I'm thinking the shadowline on Arctic white with some type 4 ac schnitzer bi-color wheels would look good. Maybe front and rear carbon fiber lips and carbon fiber mirrors.

Now BMW KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #80
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

under armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I don't see any cup holders.. Not again! :frown:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #81
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
At least we got tire sizes from them.. 215 front/245 rear on 135..
I don't know about that, I looked up the rear tire at the Tire Rack to get a feel for the cost of consumables, and there were no runflats listed at all in that size. Didn't bother looking up the front. That's very bad, limited availability and no competing manufacturers usually = outrageous prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #82
02cruzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

That side profile is nice.

One thing I noticed from the press release is that i-drive is optional, thank goodness.

of course cup holders probably are also optional like they are on the 3 and the 5 door versions.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #83
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
under armrest
What's up with the add-on cup holder?

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #84
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Hey Brookside, MANY THANKS for compiling all the NEW PR photos off the site and putting them at the top man. I just came home from work and I was going crazy trying to upload this into my head.
      06-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #85
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoBMW View Post
While it's under warranty is fine. But I'm looking to buy out right. What happens after the 50K or 100K warranty runs out? I still would like to know where I stand with my oil level on a weekly basis.

Oh, I totally agree. I buy straight out also. I will not own any current BMW model out of the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty. Can you say Cash Cow? :wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #86
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post

Shadow line is shinny black while the black trim on the 328 is flat black.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #87
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Why am I the only one that notices that there are two versions of the "official" press release?

The one posted in the first post of the thread is significantly different than the one up on AutoWeek.

Again, neither the UK nor the NA press releases are available at the BMW Press Group website yet.

I know it's very exciting to see that BMW is making "official" announcements but these press releases are very fishy to me.
      06-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #88
xl5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Honda Fit

I love the chromeline. To each their own.

Big thanks to this forum for all the news.

LOVE this car.
Appreciate 0