BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #45
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

I suspect a DCT 123d would be sensational
(actually, a DCT 135d would be kind of amazing too.....)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #46
Road Train
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
I suspect a DCT 123d would be sensational
(actually, a DCT 135d would be kind of amazing too.....)
The VW Golf GTD with DSG works well, so I'd say the 123d would be even better. Pity it's not an option.
Are you listening BMW...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #47
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Great choice Roadtrain

Both engines are great in their own ways. It is a personal choice at the end coz everyone is different.

The 3rd gen diesel are so refine now days, you will be very happy with it. And just wait till u get it remap. 189kw and 500nm of Torque which is about the same as the 330d

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...-2-%28crd-t%29
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #48
Road Train
Private
Australia
Rep

A remap. That sounds interesting.

I checked that link. I'm not very clever so I'd love to know how that stuff works.

What's involved and does that type of thing affect the warranty in any way?

Last edited by Road Train; 03-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: missing word
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #49
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Train View Post
A remap. That sounds interesting.

I checked that link. I'm not very clever so I'd love to know how that stuff works.

What's involved and does that type of thing affect the warranty in any way?
Just some background for you...
There r 3 ways to get more out of ur diesel engine
1. Piggy back chip (such as DTUK, tunit, DPChip)
2. ECU remap
3. ECU remap via OBDII with Bluefin or Evolve Switch (not availble for new 30d and 23d)

There are very limited places that does ECU remaps (option 2) in Australia for our car. Once the ECU is remap, it stays in the car unless u take it back to installer to get it removed. Remap can be wiped off by BMW if they update ur software. I personally prefer to be able to turn the car back to stock myself so in the unlikely event of our car playing up or when u are taking ur car back to service, u can simply just change everything back to before. Unfortunely switch units such as bluefin/evolve switch are not an option for newer engine with new encriptions that is still uncrackable using OBDII therefore piggy-back system are probably the best option for us for now in OZ. I have been waiting to see if Bluefin/Evolve to crack the encription for awhile now and from what I have heard it could take forever.

Warrenty may be void if BMW finds out that ur car has been modified like every other modification u do so it is not cover by BMW warrenty but so far I have not heard of anyone with engine problems with remap/chips. Have a good read of the UK technical forum. There are heaps more diesel info there and it seems that most ppl in UK chip their cars as there are so many companies that do them.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #50
Road Train
Private
Australia
Rep

Had my car for about 4 weeks now so I thought I'd post a some pics.

Happy I went with that diesel engine and glad I got the manual gearbox.

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Now to find a good chip tune. Suggestions anyone???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #51
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Fantastic looking car!!! Love the LCI lights too.

I think Andrew from southernbm can help you with tune, there's one on their website available.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #52
Road Train
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks Honny.

Maybe we'll talk about that tomorrow night.

Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #53
liamandjo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

I have parted with the hard earned on a 1 series, but will not pick it up for a few weeks. A demonstrator 125i, with M Pack. A poor mans 135, but then I did come very close to buying a 370Z, which had better straight line speed but my wife convinced me the rear vision was s**t house and had way less street cred. I am the editor of Unique Cars and Parts, and after researching so much about BMW (and then writing articles on said make), and particularly their straight six, it was something I always wanted - and had to have. I had test driven them in the past, but went the V6 Lexus IS250 as I could not quite afford the 325i. But I am getting old, and like Jeremy Clarkson, am not ready to have a diesel in the driveway just yet. And as for the engine note - hell I will never get sick of that. I had a US sports exhaust put on a 350SL I restored a decade ago, and it always sent shivers up my spine. Each to their own I guess, but I am more than happy to pay more at the bowser to hear that BM 6 before it gets way too expensive, and we all drive electric crappers.

Cheers,
Liam
Editor: Unqiue Cars and Parts - The Car Enthusiasts Web Site
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #54
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamandjo View Post
I have parted with the hard earned on a 1 series, but will not pick it up for a few weeks. A demonstrator 125i, with M Pack. A poor mans 135, but then I did come very close to buying a 370Z, which had better straight line speed but my wife convinced me the rear vision was s**t house and had way less street cred. I am the editor of Unique Cars and Parts, and after researching so much about BMW (and then writing articles on said make), and particularly their straight six, it was something I always wanted - and had to have. I had test driven them in the past, but went the V6 Lexus IS250 as I could not quite afford the 325i. But I am getting old, and like Jeremy Clarkson, am not ready to have a diesel in the driveway just yet. And as for the engine note - hell I will never get sick of that. I had a US sports exhaust put on a 350SL I restored a decade ago, and it always sent shivers up my spine. Each to their own I guess, but I am more than happy to pay more at the bowser to hear that BM 6 before it gets way too expensive, and we all drive electric crappers.

Cheers,
Liam
Did you get the manual or auto? I've driven the auto 125i a few times and it's a nice drive, the manual version would be a hoot to drive. Agreed, the sound from that straight 6 is something special
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #55
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Welcome Liam. We 125ers are a bit under-represented here. But I love the NA i6 sound, and it's still more than enough grunt to get out of (or into) trouble
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #56
liamandjo
Registered
Rep

Hey BMW86 and Timbo3101,

Thanks for the welcome.

Much like the MX5 that sits in the garage, the new 125 (slightly old demonstrator) is an auto - but that is because of Mrs Unique. My choice would always be a manual. And I did get to drive a Citroen and Opel manual in Europe last year, even managed to wind out the Barina to 195 on the Autobahn (video on the Unique Cars and Parts Facebook Page). But I think the only opportunity I will have to drive a manual will be when we hire a car, and the good wife has no intention of driving (especially when the steering wheel is on the wrong side). A month ago I spent the weekend on the Gold Coast with some friends, who had a package deal hotel room and Ferrari 360. I got to drive it. It was auto. Damn. But good Damn. If you know what I mean.

Cheers,
Liam
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #57
liamandjo
Registered
Rep

Hey BMW86 and Timbo3101,

here is the link to the last manual I got to drive...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1220700014584

Pretty lame when you see what is on you tube. But it was a Barina. And the foot was firmly planted. I should also mention the 370Z sounded like a tractor to my ears, and while a few on this forum seem to deride the sound of the 6, I just love the howl. Can't wait for the next full moon.

Cheers,
Liam
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #58
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car mate. The 125i is a great car that does everything well. There is a member on here that owns a 125i with the Performance Exhaust and it sounds fantastic, so much tougher than the N54. You really can't beat that sound and the best part is it pulls all the way to redline
Appreciate 0