BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Slowest 135i in Africa

Anyone have any ideas what may cause the following codes:

29F2 Fuel high-pressure system, fuel pressure
Lower rail-pressure threshold value undershot
SAE diagnostic trouble code: P3090
Rail pressure 4075.553 mbar

29DC Cylinder injection cutout
Pressure too low in high-pressure system
SAE diagnostic trouble code P142E
Last at engine temperature 72 C

She is idling rough, doesn't boost at all, top speed ~70km/h and 0-100km/h in around 15 sec. Nasty, nasty, nasty. All this at just 2,100km and less than 2 months old.

Mega-EISH!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Seems I'm answering my own thread...

Major failures on all 1st- and 2nd-generation high pressure fuel pumps on the N54 engine.

So Monday I'm going to have to argue with the stealership until they agree to replace the HPFP...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
BiBiGti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Ouch ! ;-(
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmza View Post
Seems I'm answering my own thread...

Major failures on all 1st- and 2nd-generation high pressure fuel pumps on the N54 engine.

So Monday I'm going to have to argue with the stealership until they agree to replace the HPFP...
I don't know why they would have to be convinced or why you would have to argue - it's under warranty (unless you've chipped it). The code is there, it is a known problem on the N54. The only issue may be is if they have one in stock or whteher they will have to fly one in from Munich.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Lester - BMW customer service in South Africa is not the same as in the USA and Canada.

Anyhow, the car is booked in and - true to form - they blamed the satellite tracking unit before I'd even handed over the keys and then claimed to be unaware of any known issues or recalls on the N54 fuel pumps. *sigh*

When I gave them a copy of the BMW North America recall for the E90's with N54, they were dismissive and said "it's unlikely that the fuel pump would fail on such a new car."

In any case, I did what they asked and arranged for Digifleet to disconnect the satellite tracking. Digifleet said that they were certain it wasn't the satellite tracking but would urgently dispatch someone to the dealership to disconnect it anyway.

The dealer also agreed that I'm entitled to a courtesy car although were not prepared to give me one of theirs and instead dropped me at home and said they'd ask BMW SA to approve the cost of a hire car and contact me in a few hours when they had a response. When I followed up on this (two hours later), they said they have to get the fault codes first and their workshop is too busy at the moment. This, despite the fact I gave them a printout of the fault codes pulled on Saturday and that it take five minutes to pull the codes again.

I then spoke the general manager at the dealership who said he would chat to the person I was dealing with and get back to me "in a couple of hours." I stressed that that was unacceptable as I'd already waited a couple of hours.

A couple of hours later again, and BMW's appointed car hire broker has delivered a Toyota Yaris 1400... *groan*

I suppose I should be grateful they didn't deliver a bicycle because the meeting with client that I'm now an hour late for is 50km away.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Lester - BMW customer service in South Africa is not the same as in the USA and Canada.

Anyhow, the car is booked in and - true to form - they blamed the satellite tracking unit before I'd even handed over the keys and then claimed to be unaware of any known issues or recalls on the N54 fuel pumps. *sigh*

When I gave them a copy of the BMW North America recall for the E90's with N54, they were dismissive and said "it's unlikely that the fuel pump would fail on such a new car."

In any case, I did what they asked and arranged for Digifleet to disconnect the satellite tracking. Digifleet said that they were certain it wasn't the satellite tracking but would urgently dispatch someone to the dealership to disconnect it anyway.

The dealer also agreed that I'm entitled to a courtesy car although were not prepared to give me one of theirs and instead dropped me at home and said they'd ask BMW SA to approve the cost of a hire car and contact me in a few hours when they had a response. When I followed up on this (two hours later), they said they have to get the fault codes first and their workshop is too busy at the moment. This, despite the fact I gave them a printout of the fault codes pulled on Saturday and that it take five minutes to pull the codes again.

I then spoke the general manager at the dealership who said he would chat to the person I was dealing with and get back to me "in a couple of hours." I stressed that that was unacceptable as I'd already waited a couple of hours.

A couple of hours later again, and BMW's appointed car hire broker has delivered a Toyota Yaris 1400... *groan*

I suppose I should be grateful they didn't deliver a bicycle because the meeting with client that I'm now an hour late for is 50km away.
Sorry to hear that my man.. Which dealership are you dealing with?? This is unacceptable and needs their full attention...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Forsdicks Sandton.

Car back today with new 3rd-generation fuel pump (code 13 51 7 592 881) and it is going like a boeing! Yay, nothing like a 150km in a Yaris in 30 C midday heat to remind me how cool it is to drive a 135i at full boost and why I put up with the dealer's sh*t. *GRIN*

Damn careless fools at the dealer opened the driver side door into a wall and scratched the edge. ARGH! They didn't even confess. Thankfully, I spotted it shortly after getting the car back. When I challenged them over it, they agreed to pay for the touch-up and to give me a car for the day that it goes to the panel shop.

Annoying that they can be so careless, however, this is not isolated. About a week ago a friend had his 320i touring at Hyde Park auto and they dented the door and similarly didn't confess until taken up on it.

Still, having owned two Audis, I can honestly say that this sort of service is not that bad by comparison to others. At least I got a loan car (even if a Toyota that I had to fight for) and at least they fixed the issue first time and at least they agreed to pay to repair their damage. That already puts them way about three of the Audi dealers I've dealt with in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Wow now that's a PALAGA of note. next time go to Lyndhurst or give me a call and id see what BMW SA can do for you.

At least the 135 doesn't crack a sump when it goes over a speed bump like the audis do ... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
hahaha... Dewald, did I tell you I'd cracked the sump on my A4 Cabrio back in 2003 or is it just that common a problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Dewald
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i M DCT

Garage List
2010 135i M DCT  [0.00]
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I remember every thing people tell me ... Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey Guys,

I spotted a white 135 with the W spoke rims (263 I think) At the Rivonia and Grayston robot sunday. Does it belong to anyone here ?

How do you know if you have the old generation fuel pump? Is there a code that I can check myself.
would it be wise to rather change it even if there are no problem at the moment?

I do occasionally hear a very soft beep sound coming from the left passenger side when the car is on. not sure if anyone else is
experiencing that.

When I phoned the dealer in Centurion last time to ask them to check what revision of software my car has there were big stories of leaving the car there for a day etc etc. To get the dealer involved sounds like a big issue especially for small things.

Anycase would love to make the nex Bfast run if I'm here.

Good luck !

Ivin
      10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Okay, so the 3rd generation pump, the one you want is:
1 13-51-7-592-881

The older generation ones are:
1 13-51-7-585-655 RMFD HIGH-PRESSURE PUMP:135019
1 13-53-7-537-320

Now here is the catch:
If you have a 1st generation fuel pump and older software, the pump will fail prematurely. The MIL light should appear and the car should enter limp mode where it is completely depleted of power, no turbo boost, etc.

However, if you have the 2nd generational fuel pump and more recent software (v27.xx CIP of later) and fuel pumps start to lose pressure the software will detect that fuel demands can not be meet and cut throttle position (In short, you loss power and boost). This minimizes limp mode and in some cases you can lose a lot power and still not trigger limp mode.

The latter is really nasty as the car may feel sluggish, but not so bad as to tip you off to the problem. This is basically a software workaround to try and keep the car working as long as possible on a faulty pump. BMW came up with this software fix to mitigate the problem rather than fixing it as, at the time, the 3rd generation pumps were not yet available.

How to check:
1. Locate the supplier's identification and production numbers. If the number from the top line consists of any four digits, a forward slash symbol (/), and the numbers 07 or 08 at the end, then the HDP pump is defective and should not be used.

2. If the number from the top line consists of any five digits, then proceed with further inspection. Locate the production date and if the numbers are:
Then the HDP pump is defective.

How to tell if your fuel pump is failing:
The most common failure mode would be the complaint of 'long cranking time of 4 to 5 seconds', or power reduction mode.

NB. When replacing the HPFP, the dealer must reset the DME Adaptions via computer.

Note that I would not recommend upgrading from software older than v27.xx unless you have verified that the HPFP is a 3rd gen unit, or, you risk the situation where you car is effectively de-tuned to keep the pump going as long as possible, allowing BMW to avoid replacing it and leaving you with a potentially underpowered car that suffers from turbo lag and other annoying characteristics.

If you have a 3rd gen HPFP, then upgrade may be a consideration. In this case, go to the very latest. (See the N54 engine forum for info). Honestly, I wouldn't rush to upgrade. The new software is full of workarounds for problems rather than fixes. From what I've heard, it doesn't add any functionality that will improve the ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #13
135iFreak
Doin' A Fly By
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 135i AW/BB M-Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Forsdicks Sandton.

Car back today with new 3rd-generation fuel pump (code 13 51 7 592 881) and it is going like a boeing! Yay, nothing like a 150km in a Yaris in 30 C midday heat to remind me how cool it is to drive a 135i at full boost and why I put up with the dealer's sh*t. *GRIN*

Damn careless fools at the dealer opened the driver side door into a wall and scratched the edge. ARGH! They didn't even confess. Thankfully, I spotted it shortly after getting the car back. When I challenged them over it, they agreed to pay for the touch-up and to give me a car for the day that it goes to the panel shop.

Annoying that they can be so careless, however, this is not isolated. About a week ago a friend had his 320i touring at Hyde Park auto and they dented the door and similarly didn't confess until taken up on it.

Still, having owned two Audis, I can honestly say that this sort of service is not that bad by comparison to others. At least I got a loan car (even if a Toyota that I had to fight for) and at least they fixed the issue first time and at least they agreed to pay to repair their damage. That already puts them way about three of the Audi dealers I've dealt with in the past.
GMZA - I'm not surprised at all the BMW SA and the dealership were so dismissive of the problem. I had a problem with the brakes on my Z4 previously, the breaks were spongy and unresponsive with an annoying squeek every time the brakes got up to temperature.When I addressed this through the dealerships it took so much effort for them to get somebody to diagnose the problem(3 Days at the workshop and still no courtesy car! )

They eventually found the problem but the person who drove my car had to give authorization for the problem to be rectified and he never called the dealership back! So I got tired of their rubbish - sold the Z4 and got a 135i!
Appreciate 0