BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
mclemens
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Oil cooler

Has anyone installed the Evolution Racewerks oil cooler on a 1M?

If you did how was the install? How about the instructions?

Did you install either of the shrouds? If so which one? How did it fit?

What kind of temp reduction did you see?

I'm seeing 280F on the track and would like to do something about lowering the temps I'm seeing.
      05-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I've installed the ER oil cooler on an N54/135i with the PPK2 radiator and fan. The instructions I received were for a 335i. The only real difference between between these car's is in how you remove the bumper. The whole installation is pretty straight forward. Just be extremely careful when fitting the aluminum AN10 hose fittings to the oil cooler and oil filler housing. The threads on the fittings are very precise (and soft) and can strip if not lines up properly. Tighten by hand and only use the wrench to tighten the last 1/4 turn. I wouldn't even recommend test fitting the threads without using some anti-galling sealant. I can't comment on how the shroud lines up on the 1M, but I needed to grind a 1/8" off the shroud in a couple spots where I could see it pressing against the bumper. I also ordered the anodized shroud, but noticed I could scrap off some of the anodized coating with my finger nail. I ended up laminating the shroud with carbon fiber. As far as performance... it definitely dropped my oil temps but the OEM thermostat doesn't open until 240 degrees so your already pretty warm before it begins to help. I recently added the BMS low temp thermostat and the combination is pretty unbelievable. I have yet to see temps over 230 degrees. Granted this was not on the track but on "private" roads where speeds vary between 50 and 140 with lots of opportunities to perform back-to-back WOT pulls from various speeds. The roads remained private for about 20 minutes. The car didn't protest at all. It just felt real happy the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

I got the ER oil cooler.
You need to custom cut the stock shroud to fit it.
Plus buy it black color to have stealthy look.
I didn't test it on track, but in 30C I drove hard and oil temp was no more than 110C.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Many 1M owners have this upgrade. However, no 1M shrouds are available yet.

Temp drop can vary from car to car, location and driving habits. I have not heard back from anyone 1M owners with oil temp issues after the installation of the "sport" version of the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0