02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Akrapovic Slip-On + Wireless kit + MadDad midpipes: Hard Facts + Pics

Figured I'll share my results of the Akrapovic Slip-On exhaust install, in both (crappy iPhone) pics and 'hard facts' I went with the Slip-on setup, wireless kit, and the MadDad mids I had left over from my 135i days. Cant be happier with the results, both sound and performance.

I have to say, as expensive as the setup is, it is by far, bar none, the BEST CRAFTED exhaust I have ever seen (prior to that Capristo took high honors). Makes it worth every Slovenian Tolar LOL (ok ok, it's Euros now). The attention to detail, craftsmanship, and execution is mind boggling, starting from the packaging material (which had its own stamps/logos, and three different layers of protective gear), even the valve kit box had the Akra logos cut out. Likewise some logos were cut out in the tabs joining different pieces of the exhaust, in some ways, totally unnecessary (in terms of function), but another example how these Slovenian guys take utmost pride in what they do.

A note on install: the shop guys were laughing as this was the only exhaust they had ever installed that required both (passenger side) wheels to come off and taking the trunk liners, fender liners, and underskirt of the car off (the valves are vacuum operated, so you have to tap a vacuum line from the engine bay, snake the Akra vacuum line through the underbelly of the car, underneath the skirt and fender liners, all the way to the interior of the trunk [passenger side], behind the trunk liner where the solenoid and transmitter reside that operate the actuator of the valves themselves). So factor in a couple of extra hours if you are doing the valve kit, which IMO is an absolute must.

A couple of additional notes: Once installed, we went straight to the dyno, which was...10ft behind the lift. So these runs are literally strapping the car, cranking her up for the first time, and it's go time! No adaptation whatsoever, so I don't discount the numbers may be slightly better once the ECU has fully adapted to the freer flow. The results below are with the valves open, we did a couple of pulls with the valves closed, it was about 2-3 wheel ponies/twisties less. While of course MadDad is not titanium, it was still a good 7+lbs less than the stock mid pipe.
Attached Images

1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe Alpine White

Nice pictures, the CF tips are beautiful!

I should have similar gains as you. But this makes me wonder now how much the JB4 map 2 makes with this setup!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
What is the story on your roof--looks great from what I can see!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MbmC View Post
Nice pictures, the CF tips are beautiful!

I should have similar gains as you. But this makes me wonder now how much the JB4 map 2 makes with this setup!
Thx. Yeah, would be interested to see how the JB4 performs with that setup. One tuner's beta tune added only 10whp peak over this setup (interestingly enough the same the exhaust itself added), and another tune added a much more formidable 30whp. Both are Betas at this stage so a lot more remains to be worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
What is the story on your roof--looks great from what I can see!
Yeah, been getting a lot of complements. It's a 3M vinyl wrap (with a gloss sheen due to it coming with a clear coat). For now I left the shark fin antenna and roof rails stock (doesn't look very good when wrapped because you see the creases from the roof bar latches). May eventually just get a set of black roof rails from a donor car, but so far it doesn't bother me.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just realized that the latest release of the Akrapovic iPhone app finally has the 1M listed under BMW, and there are multimedia clips for it
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nice post! I must have missed this when you originally posted this report.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nice post! I must have missed this when you originally posted this report.
Thx, Dack.

There should be a part 2 coming up, with some more data/delta of tune, FMIC, and also 1/4 mile times. For the latter, just have to wait for a month or so, as it is so darn hot and humid here, that even with the Forge FMIC, it's tough to battle in those conditions
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Rudi (gs/e60/1m?) has one on his car and it sounds awesome!! Especially when it hits that button!
Appreciate 0