BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Koni Dampers and Springs?

Is any one running this set up. Its my daily driver and I don't track it. Is this a good deal?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...8&autoModClar=
      06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

I actually looked into these a bit ago before getting a good deal on ST coils. From what I gathered, there were some 3 series guys that thought the Koni orange shocks were pretty decent. It's most likely going to be similar to an OE shock, maybe a little bit better, but not performance based. If you want something a little bit better, a lot of guys on here run the Koni Yellows (which are dampening adjustable) and are very pleased with them. Bav Auto has the same kit with yellows for 752 shipped. If all you care about is just getting low, then the kit you are looking at offers good value....can't beat that price.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, I want to get a little lower but not make it a too harsh of a ride. I have 76K so its probably due for new shocks and struts anyway. Seem like a good deal because I don't have a ton of cash and I will still need to get them installed and get an alignment.
      06-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
Yeah, I want to get a little lower but not make it a too harsh of a ride. I have 76K so its probably due for new shocks and struts anyway. Seem like a good deal because I don't have a ton of cash and I will still need to get them installed and get an alignment.
If you're just looking for lowered, I'd just get a set of springs (bmw performance suspension ones) then get a replacement set of bmw shocks/struts if you think yours are dead. That'd get you lowered with stock comfort. It's the same amount of install work, but better components from BMW.

BMW puts way more time into testing their parts than koni. (I've blown 2 koni yellow struts in 2 years). It'd be buying piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I was thinking I should have went with the eibach pro springs and stock shocks, but I was afraid it wouldn't have been low enough for my liking. So I got the strt kit, as I've said it will be at least a month before I can install them so I can't give my impression. If I were you and just wanted a small drop over stock I would get the pro kit springs and bilstien touring shock I'm sure they will work fine together.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post

BMW puts way more time into testing their parts than koni. (I've blown 2 koni yellow struts in 2 years). It'd be buying piece of mind.
What happens when you blow a BMW strut?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

If you change the springs but leave the stock shocks you will see a blown BMW shock soon enough. You can do aftermarket shocks on stock springs but I don't recommend aftermarket shorter springs with stock shocks.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
If you change the springs but leave the stock shocks you will see a blown BMW shock soon enough. You can do aftermarket shocks on stock springs but I don't recommend aftermarket shorter springs with stock shocks.
This as well.

And the point I was making about the Konis is that even if they break more often(which frankly, they don't), the replacements are free/warrantied for life. Factory shocks share no such benefits.
      06-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I went ahead and ordered that kit for $508 - free shipping.