BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X3 & 325e

The 135 is the new Z4

I have test drove the 135i, seen 128i, and M3 this past weekend at Morristown BMW, NJ (if anyone living around there want to check it out) the car looked far more better in real than in picture. In pictures you kinda lose the scale of things. It had almost the same length of the E30 M3 but with its body in that compact length it tends to look compressed as many have mentioned, almost like a muscular SUV, I guess that’s where they got the idea of making an X1. Don’t get me wrong it looked really sporty and aggressive and I do want to emphasize that it didn’t look cheap. Inside the car is astounding, I like it inside more than the 335i, the back seat is useless though. The headlights as mentioned is big, I mean seriously looked good but big. The difference in looks between the 135i and the 128i is minor, However, the 135i was next to an M3 and the 128i was next to a 328i coupe which didn’t help my judgment especially when looking at the 128i compared to the 328i, with $5k difference in price its not fair to the 1er cuz it did look like an entry level BMW as if you couldn’t afford to buy a 3 series coupe. Although we all want the 135i due to its higher performance than the 335i. I guess what I’m trying to say is it doesn’t look like only $5k cheaper than a 3 series coupe. My SA called it “our cuty little car” which throwed me off a little, although swears by its performance . He also said that its sales are replacing the Z4 sales according to their numbers. I did notice that the top of the wheels sat about 1”-2” lower from the fender arcs than an equivalent 335i which makes me wonder why did they intentionally do that and if that is lowered it will make the car more proportional as we have seen in pics, meaning the length is perfect but the height is not proportional to the length compared to the E30, E36, E46 M3.

Beyond the looks…

Once you are in the car and your hands are on that M steering wheel and your foot is revving that TT engine you no longer care what the car looks like and you no longer care if you are in a 1 series or a 3 series, it feels special. Almost feels like you are in an M3 and ready to launch. The acceleration is sharp and immediate. You felt completely in control of every aspect of the car. The driving experience dominates looks of the car absolutely magnificent. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a good chance to test the handling as much cause of the line up on that day for test drives. But driving the 135i was phenomenal.

What I think of the 135i…

I was planning on owning a 135i but after the looks I think lease will be better (although I was told by the SA according to BMW the car is supposed to hold 79% its value in 3 years with 10k a year). The 135i isn’t a cheap car with almost $5K difference between it and a 335i, you will never get the recognition that it’s a high performance car by looks, although it by far is. Actually, I was told by the SA according to their numbers that the 135i is 0.1 sec slower than the new M3 to 60mph (which didn’t make sense to me but I will take it) and the reason for the high 5.1s to 60 quoted by BMW is due to insurance on the car. It is without doubt a baby M3. But if you plan to impress others by it looks don’t bother, however you could impress them by performance. The 135i’s performance out weights its looks by stages. It’s up to us to make its name by bring out it’s performance and building a reputation for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Hey Man, this was a thoughtful, well written post. I was reading and just checking off the boxes in my head of the points that I agree with. Thanks for taking the time.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
alter ego
Rep
Drives:

I agree it is a "replacement" for the Z4. Only certain people will understand this car, especially here in New England where it snows sometimes. Lack of all wheel drive and two doors makes for a limited focus up here. I imagine the 128 may get some volume but from the looks of things the families will be in 3s and 5s. I am happy they did it though. BMW needed a serious car that isn't $50000+ when you put a few options in and they let us have red interior. Whats better than that? Only some people will "get it" and thats ok. More available for the rest of us enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
I agree it is a "replacement" for the Z4. Only certain people will understand this car, especially here in New England where it snows sometimes. Lack of all wheel drive and two doors makes for a limited focus up here. I imagine the 128 may get some volume but from the looks of things the families will be in 3s and 5s. I am happy they did it though. BMW needed a serious car that isn't $50000+ when you put a few options in and they let us have red interior. Whats better than that? Only some people will "get it" and thats ok. More available for the rest of us enthusiasts.
Agree. What I like about it is it's a return to tradition. I owned a 2002 (1976) whe it was just a couple years old. I've been a BMW owner/admirer since the 70s. The 135i reminds me of those simpler cars, yet it's modern and really performs in today's standards.

Now, if BMW would retool the floor and make a run of first generation M3s exactly how they came from the factory 20 years ago, that's what I'd buy in a heartbeat (even at the price of the 1er).

I don't need nor want complication in my daily driver's car.
      03-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
Hey Man, this was a thoughtful, well written post. I was reading and just checking off the boxes in my head of the points that I agree with. Thanks for taking the time.
you're welcome, soon you will be driving yours with a big smile on your face :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Amulett
Dreamer
Rep
Drives:

That 79% value after 3 years sounds awesome... too good to be true?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

'Replacement for the Z4' is dealer spin. Z4 sales have lagged for over a year now, beginning even as the freshened Z4 model was being intro'd. Which is why so many new Z4's are still on the lots - almost equal to all the other new models combined at the Pensacola dealer I visited last month.

From a dealer's perspective, the significant initial interest in a smaller, 2-door, performance-enhanced model might make them remember the buyers initial reaction to the Z4...but suggesting one is replacing the other sounds to me like hyperbole to justify lack of Z4 sales.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulett View Post
Listening to the trade in offers being thrown about on here lately....YES.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I am trading my Z4 for the 135i

I would agree the 135i is a replacement for the Z4. I am trading in my Z4 for the 135i. I still want to drive the 135i before I sign the papers but have never been disappointed with any of the BMW’s I have owned
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Amulett
Dreamer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
Listening to the trade in offers being thrown about on here lately....YES.
That must be from cars being sold above sticker to 79% of value at the time of turn-in.

There were some bogus numbers floating around my other forums of Audi R8's having residual values in the 80's because of that exact reason too, lol.
      03-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

I traded my 2.5i Z4 in for the 128i Cabrio.. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
alter ego
Rep
Drives:

The 79% residual is on a 24 month 128i with 10000 miles per year.... Intirestingly the 135 for the same term is at 74%.... That along with the higher price shows where BMW is focusing their efforts on 1's. They will sell many more 128s than 135s. Just the same way they do with the 3 series.... Being an enthusiast always seems to cost so much more...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

As a Z4MC owner (maybe the best looking of any current BMW?) and certainly the best handling. But I will say this- to get the most speed out of a Z4M you have to rev the crap out of it-not that this is a bad thing but I can guarantee you that the 1er (and the E90/92) will get up to speed with MUCH less "sturm und drang" than my Z4MC. But and this is a big but...
The Z is a BLAST to drive and with that long hood you feel like your in a tube- a very FAST tube and no other car on the road under 100k is like it.
Even the perfection of a Porsche would be smoother and "better' in many regards but with the over thick steering wheel of the Z- the driving position, 330 hp motor etc... just makes it tough to part with. All that being said- I will probably one day get the 1er as it is a more COMFORTABLE version of the Z4. Easier ingress, softer seats (I like the "racing seats in the M though- harder at first but more comfortable on long trips) and of course the (slightly) more room. And the back seat is a MAJOR plus- who cares about people back there but it is great to throw stuff back there- dont get to do that with the Z, but you learn to live with it. And those of us Z drivers do like smaller cars

One thing- I have more head room in my Z4MC than a 3 coupe because I have NO SUNROOF- the E92 HAS to have the damn thing and my head scrapes- I like to sit straight up when i drive. I hope I dont have the same problem with the 1er.

In the perfect world, my finances would allow me to have BOTH- 135 Automatic for the weekday business driving- effortless speed and I can concentrate on using my cell rather than driving(that was a joke folks- but partly true) and the M Coupe for the weekend drives in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. But I dont think that is in the cards- but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZE4EMCE View Post
As a Z4MC owner (maybe the best looking of any current BMW?) and certainly the best handling. But I will say this- to get the most speed out of a Z4M you have to rev the crap out of it-not that this is a bad thing but I can guarantee you that the 1er (and the E90/92) will get up to speed with MUCH less "sturm und drang" than my Z4MC. But and this is a big but...
The Z is a BLAST to drive and with that long hood you feel like your in a tube- a very FAST tube and no other car on the road under 100k is like it.
Even the perfection of a Porsche would be smoother and "better' in many regards but with the over thick steering wheel of the Z- the driving position, 330 hp motor etc... just makes it tough to part with. All that being said- I will probably one day get the 1er as it is a more COMFORTABLE version of the Z4. Easier ingress, softer seats (I like the "racing seats in the M though- harder at first but more comfortable on long trips) and of course the (slightly) more room. And the back seat is a MAJOR plus- who cares about people back there but it is great to throw stuff back there- dont get to do that with the Z, but you learn to live with it. And those of us Z drivers do like smaller cars

One thing- I have more head room in my Z4MC than a 3 coupe because I have NO SUNROOF- the E92 HAS to have the damn thing and my head scrapes- I like to sit straight up when i drive. I hope I dont have the same problem with the 1er.

In the perfect world, my finances would allow me to have BOTH- 135 Automatic for the weekday business driving- effortless speed and I can concentrate on using my cell rather than driving(that was a joke folks- but partly true) and the M Coupe for the weekend drives in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. But I dont think that is in the cards- but we will see.
Z4MC is a different level car than the Z4. Mostly it was refered to the 135i replacing the Z4 models. In the end its an "M" car which is rather different.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
sciamop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi Convertible

Quote:
The dollar will be worth 50% less in 3 years -- therefore goods from the land of the euro will cost more dollars than they do today.

Think of the 1er as a hedge against a (nearly) worthless dollar!

PS Going on a test drive on Friday -- I'm stoked!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

[QUOTE=mdynamics;84004]Z4MC is a different level car than the Z4. Mostly it was refered to the 135i replacing the Z4 models. In the end its an "M" car which is rather different.

True enough but the 135 speed numbers are more inline with the Z4M. Also after the deep discounts that the Z4M's have been subjected to the prices of the M are actually closer to the 135 than the Z4 is.
Also the 135 is being compared (favorably) to the E46 M3 as far as speed, size etc...
Appreciate 0