BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
manufc4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Warning light

Whilst overtaking in second i got carried away and accidentally red lined it to 7k rpm. After this an amber engine light came on the one that means half power available take it easy and get your engine checked. The light has now cleared since the engine has been of. Is this just precautionary or i should be worried. Car is 135i btw.

Thanks for any replies
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

half power, that isnt good... usually this is associated with HPFP failure, but i am not sure
      07-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
half power, that isnt good... usually this is associated with HPFP failure, but i am not sure
Yep.
Could be a lot of things causing it, but the HPFP is certainly the most common. Just running it up to redline certainly shouldn't bring on reduced power.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
manufc4eva
Private
Rep

ye but the car feels fine since. is the light not just a precautin because ive encroached the redline slightly?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufc4eva View Post
ye but the car feels fine since. is the light not just a precautin because ive encroached the redline slightly?
No. The car will cut fuel if you red line the motor. Depending on the outside temp and octane you could have had a miss fire in a cylinder, or one of many other things. The code is stored in the computer.

Your choices now, take to the dealer and have code read, or drive the car until it duplicates the problem, which might not happen.

I would take it to the dealer. I would hate to be overtaking a car and loose all power.

You might also consider buying a code reader. I have one and its the best purchase I have ever made for the car.
      07-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
manufc4eva
Private
Rep

Thanks for the advice, would the dealer know whats caused it do you think? And therefore refuse do anything under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I had pretty much the same thing happen. About a month ago I was heading up to some land of mine in the mountains to meet with surveyor and was just started the climb up a grade when the instrument panel lights up like a Christmas tree. I get the ½ engine light and hardly any power. I pulled over and turned off/on the car but still had the ½ engine light. I went back home and took my truck up. When I got back home from my journey I started the car and it ran fine. I called the dealer and they wanted to look at the codes. Turns out I had a cylinder 2 misfire. They swapped the spark plug, coil and coil wire with cylinder 4. Problem has not come back. I questioned the SA about the HPFP issue and he told me the computer only stores the last couple of codes and it was a cylinder 2 misfire that showed up. It could be the HPFP but shows up as a cylinder 2 misfire. I am sure our car has many sensors/checks going on and it only takes on sensor burp to mess the whole system up.
      07-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
manufc4eva
Private
Rep

forgive me for my lack of knowledge but is this something u had 2 get fixed or sorted? is a misfire serious?
Appreciate 0