BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1915
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
I'm pretty sure you can get a manual transmission in the E46 M3. Then just get a supersprint exhaust or something
I can't or should not drive a manual anymore due to various hand and wrist injuries and surgeries to both hands/wrists. I can shift okay, but I then can't really steer with my left hand, so it's not safe either to me or the other poor people (victims) on the road.

I've listened to every exhaust out there on the M3 and they all sounded like crap to me. Of course, this was after hearing ours, so that pretty much ruins what any other exhaust will sound like. I drove an SMG M3 convertible once for someone and that transmission is an abortion.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #1916
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I can't or should not drive a manual anymore due to various hand and wrist injuries and surgeries to both hands/wrists. I can shift okay, but I then can't really steer with my left hand, so it's not safe either to me or the other poor people (victims) on the road.

I've listened to every exhaust out there on the M3 and they all sounded like crap to me. Of course, this was after hearing ours, so that pretty much ruins what any other exhaust will sound like. I drove an SMG M3 convertible once for someone and that transmission is an abortion.
So regarding the SMG, Its the worst automatic transmission ever. Driving it in non-manual mode is terrible. In manual mode I've heard that its great, but it takes a lot of getting used to. I've heard that if you only drive it once or twice you'll hate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1917
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
So regarding the SMG, Its the worst automatic transmission ever. Driving it in non-manual mode is terrible. In manual mode I've heard that its great, but it takes a lot of getting used to. I've heard that if you only drive it once or twice you'll hate it.
Exactly. I'd be driving it in auto mode and if someone were to drive it in manual mode all the time, might as well just get the manual then. =P

I used to be intent on getting an E46 M3 one day in my life, but in recent months I have finally put that to rest for good and will just maintain the living hell out of my current car since I prefer the low-end torque, better tech, sound, and creature comforts of our cars more. And I don't want to have to worry about anything breaking, so having something completely under warranty, all service covered for years, etc. is real peace of mind. Those darn M3s sure are pretty though!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1918
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperLeftBMW View Post
Just picked up a 135is to replace my e46 325! Love the car so far and could not be happier. The car was sitting on the lot at BMW of Bellevue for about a year before I picked her up. Needless to say I got a great deal!

Alpine White W/Black Boston Leather
Premium Package
Technology Package
Harmon Kardon
Heated Front Seats
...And of course 6spd!
Congratulations from a native Puget Sounder!!! I'm glad to hear that you love the car now… I'm sure you will only love it more as you add on the miles. Based on current prices, I'm sure you got a great deal… probably thousands off of what I paid! Regardless, welcome to the forum!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #1919
UpperLeftBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
Congratulations from a native Puget Sounder!!! I'm glad to hear that you love the car now… I'm sure you will only love it more as you add on the miles. Based on current prices, I'm sure you got a great deal… probably thousands off of what I paid! Regardless, welcome to the forum!
Thanks! Gotta love the Pacific Northwest! I kept watching this car on the dealer website for about 6 months. I was stunned nobody had bought it! I finally could not take it any more and pulled the trigger! I plan to keep the car as long as she will keep going! There is simply nothing left in the BMW line that can match the pure driving pleasure of the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #1920
nunka
perpetually salty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW 6MT 128i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperLeftBMW View Post
Thanks! Gotta love the Pacific Northwest! I kept watching this car on the dealer website for about 6 months. I was stunned nobody had bought it! I finally could not take it any more and pulled the trigger! I plan to keep the car as long as she will keep going! There is simply nothing left in the BMW line that can match the pure driving pleasure of the 1er.
I believe I was looking at this exact car a few days ago. I was tempted. Very tempted. I went the NA route instead, and my 128i will be here within the next couple weeks. Anyway, glad to hear this went to a deserving enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #1921
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperLeftBMW
Thanks! Been watching the thread for a while now and glad to be here! I paid about 2,000 under dealer invoice when everything was said and done. MSRP was around 51,000. Glad I jumped the gun on an IS. I was initially going to wait for the 2er but after driving both the F32 and F30, I knew there would be some disappointment as they both lacked the tremendous road feel of my e46. I absolutely love the steering in the 1er! Everything about the car is just amazing. The exhaust is pure It is a shame this car never really caught on in the US market. I feel incredibly fortunate to have found a manual as well as I know there are a lot of those out there trying to hunt them down. I had a 5spd in the e46 and loved it so I knew I had to again go with the manual. For any of you that are still on the hunt, there is an AW IS at BMW Northwest with a 6spd. Coincidentally it is #613 in the production, kinda makes it special.
fantastic....you're going to love it! the 135is is a beast! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #1922
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

We added a 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD to our garage. Will be my wife's primary errand runner, but also serve as utility vehicle for trips to the box stores, nurseries, bike trails, etc., as well as foul weather commuter duty. Tried for several months to go the X3 or X1 route, followed by Q5, then RDX. In the end, she wanted the Toyota because it was the size she wants, and she won't feel bad adding the wear and tear associated with abusing the car as intended. I would have been fine with an X5 with a WeatherTech package…

The title of this thread is "135is owners - show us your cars!". I am an owner of a 135is, and I'm paying for the RAV4, so here goes:
Attached Images

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #1923
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
We added a 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD to our garage. Will be my wife's primary errand runner, but also serve as utility vehicle for trips to the box stores, nurseries, bike trails, etc., as well as foul weather commuter duty. Tried for several months to go the X3 or X1 route, followed by Q5, then RDX. In the end, she wanted the Toyota because it was the size she wants, and she won't feel bad adding the wear and tear associated with abusing the car as intended. I would have been fine with an X5 with a WeatherTech package…

The title of this thread is "135is owners - show us your cars!". I am an owner of a 135is, and I'm paying for the RAV4, so here goes:
Congrats, LOL. Yes, you have technically complied with the thread title...so greg probably can't call you out on this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #1924
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Congrats, LOL. Yes, you have technically complied with the thread title...so greg probably can't call you out on this one.
Ha! As the thread's pseudo attorney, I already counseled Rick, approved and actually recommended he post it here since it technically complied with the title. Had the title been, show us pictures of your new 135is, we'd be having a different conversation. Hehe. Plus, I had a vested interest in that car and wanted to see it in all its glory.

Looks good Rick! Glad to finally see her and hope she's staying clean for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1925
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL… it would have been diabolical for Greg to call me out for posting the RAV4 photo when it was HIS suggestion in the first place…

Quote:
Ha! As the thread's pseudo attorney, I already counseled Rick, approved and actually recommended he post it here since it technically complied with the title. Had the title been, show us pictures of your new 135is, we'd be having a different conversation. Hehe. Plus, I had a vested interest in that car and wanted to see it in all its glory.
Thanks Greg! Although I'm still waiting to get flamed by SOMEONE…

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #1926
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Na, you'd only get flamed if you posted a normal 135i. =P

Besides, we kindly allowed 3 of them to share pics of their former Minis and allowed a Cayman peacefully. Your RAV4 is safe. If we want/need drama, we can always head over to that nice fight on the selling of the salvaged 1M on ebay thread. =)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1927
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
...If we want/need drama, we can always head over to that nice fight on the selling of the salvaged 1M on ebay thread. =)
Sooo glad you just posted that. I started reading that thread and then got side-tracked. Totally forgot to to back and see how it was turning out. Appreciate the heads up
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #1928
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Well, I haven't technically bought this car yet so this is a stretch (and I haven't consulted my attorney), BUT.... Has anyone else thought that the forthcoming Audi S3 might be a cool little practical AWD hauler? Supposed to have 290 HP 2.0T with 6 speed DSG, 0-60 in 4.8 sec. It is certainly intriguing

Sorry, there are much better pics out there in red and blue but just grabbed a quick one from the official Audi S3 site:

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #1929
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Well, I haven't technically bought this car yet so this is a stretch (and I haven't consulted my attorney), BUT.... Has anyone else thought that the forthcoming Audi S3 might be a cool little practical AWD hauler? Supposed to have 290 HP 2.0T with 6 speed DSG, 0-60 in 4.8 sec. It is certainly intriguing

Sorry, there are much better pics out there in red and blue but just grabbed a quick one from the official Audi S3 site:

I've been reading the reviews as motortrend and car and driver just took them out for a spin. Let me see if I can dig them up. It's an intriguing car and for all intents and purposes it looks just like an S4, just a hair shorter. The price is intriguing too as I reckon it starts at $42k, so is a good deal if you don't get a ton of options.

I'm not sure when they officially come out though, or if they're already out actually (think it's a 2015 model), so might be hard to come by one and/or tough to get a good price on it. Wish the test ones weren't all that red color to really see what it's like. But if they offer it in daytona gray or monsoon gray. oooh wee. Only thing I'd be worried about is how usable and cramped the back seats are, that's all.

Just came back to edit this - they're not out til August or September of next year. I'll also add that it's a much more intriguing and much better deal than say an AMG CLA45, looks aside. I priced out an AMG CLA45 for shits and giggles the other day, the way I'd get it and nearly fell out my chair when I saw it was $57k!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...3_first_drive/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #1930
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If we want/need drama, we can always head over to that nice fight on the selling of the salvaged 1M on ebay thread. =)
I ventured over to that thread for a few minutes… what a train wreck!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #1931
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ventured over to that thread for a few minutes… what a train wreck!!!
LOL! That's good stuff

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #1932
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

It's entertaining in small doses, when nothing is on TV or I'm sitting here at work waiting for someone to respond.

I suppose if we want that drama in here, we can always ask a certain someone to share more photos of his fake 135is. O=)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #1933
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's entertaining in small doses, when nothing is on TV or I'm sitting here at work waiting for someone to respond.

I suppose if we want that drama in here, we can always ask a certain someone to share more photos of his fake 135is. O=)
That could be an interesting way to "waist" some time!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #1934
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Your write, it wood bee a waist. My cents is he couldn't pass the grammer test to bye a knew 1M, forsing him to get a salviged won insted.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1935
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

i literally had THE first (#1) USA allocation for an S3 sedan order which i cancelled to get the 135is.

i hate the styling of the S3 sedan.....Audi is simply not moving ahead fast enough. They've become stagnant and unimaginative. The current S4 is a perfect example---a nice car to drive, but as dull as a stone. 300hp is fine, but from a 2L 4 cylinder is boring. Although i really love dual clutch gearboxes, i wanted a manual again and the S3 had no option for a manual.

Most of all i wanted a FUN car, and there is no way the S3 sedan will be 'fun'. Audi's S cars are interesting, but very serious. I'm not so serious at this time.......the 135is did everything the S3 cannot do------funky styling, manual, and playful! (and quicker).

Last edited by IEDEI; 12-08-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #1936
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your write, it wood bee a waist. My cents is he couldn't pass the grammer test to bye a knew 1M, forsing him to get a salviged won insted.
You guys should be more worried about making money or something productive, rather than commenting on his grammar.

Appreciate 0