BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

My 1'er is 5 years old and keeps advancing....

Hi all,

Would really like to know if anyone else has noticed this.

I drive my 1M to work most days which is about 10 km away, being so close and typically in the cold fresh mornings, it only just gets to ideal running temp once I drive in and park it. So I tend to go on her easy all the way to work.

Now, I notice that on the odd occasion when I go further and give her a push, any gear, once boost comes on she'll stutter and sounds to 'knock', can tell because it's very abrupt. But once it's happened, it won't happen again for that drive.

It's in my head that on all the short drives, the computer is incrementally advancing the timing for max performance due to the driving style, and then when I eventually give her a punt, it's too advanced for the load and pings, then retards the timing immediately.

Would just love to hear from anyone who knows if this actually happens with the N54 or if you've ever experienced the same.

I asked the service centre about it but they couldn't find anything wrong with it nor any codes.

But it definitely does it.

Let me know if mine's just unique. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Hi all,

I drive my 1M to work most days which is about 10 km away, being so close and typically in the cold fresh mornings, it only just gets to ideal running temp once I drive in and park it. So I tend to go on her easy all the way to work.

Now, I notice that on the odd occasion when I go further and give her a push, any gear, once boost comes on she'll stutter and sounds to 'knock', can tell because it's very abrupt. But once it's happened, it won't happen again for that drive.

It's in my head that on all the short drives, the computer is incrementally advancing the timing for max performance due to the driving style, and then when I eventually give her a punt, it's too advanced for the load and pings, then retards the timing immediately.

Would just love to hear from anyone who knows if this actually happens with the N54 or if you've ever experienced the same.

I asked the service centre about it but they couldn't find anything wrong with it nor any codes.

This happens to my car as well, just once per drive per day... never twice.

I have asked the dealer, and they have no idea. No codes either.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Hi all,

Mine does this stutter once a day, only once per drive and does not show any codes.

Dealer does not know what to make of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Could be caused by the increasing of carbon build up in the engine.

Do a walnut blasting on the intake valves.

My car used to do this but after a walnut blasting it never does it anymore.

If your car has over 30K miles I highly recommend you look into it.

In other instances it can also possibly be caused by fouled spark plugs as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

In other instances it can also possibly be caused by fouled spark plugs as well.
thanks buddy, BMW pulled the plugs and advised that burn was good. Car has 35K kms so not many, but maybe the short drives add to a rapid build up, may look into this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would try a different brand of fuel... then see IF it still occurs. Make sure you are using premium fuel too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

I have heard from local performance shops that shell blasting dramatically changes your ride for the better, performance increase specifically, and yes the shell blasting also corrects the timing advance felt during acceleration.

Currently my motor has a semi-rough idle in addition to the acceleration stutter.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
100% on the walnut blasting.

When you do cold driving, you are in the optimal conditions to build up carbon on the intake valves. This isn't just a BMW problem, this is a direct injection problem in general. My previous platform (2.3 DISI Mazdaspeed) had the same issues. We all delete the exhaust gas recirculation and install an oil catch can. This helps slow down the build up on the intake valves. The only way to keep them clean really is to have a port injection or water/meth injection setup and you get into high enough boost to run these systems on a consistent basis...or just clean the valves every 30-40k. When you run a condition like you, this needs to be done more often.

I'd also just go ahead and replace your sparks as well.

It should ALSO be noted that the condition you run dilutes the oil with fuel; I would change my oil more often. The most wear to an engine occurs within the first few minutes of cold starts due to its viscosity/how well the oil flows.
Appreciate 0