BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

OEM discs matched with uprated callipers.

As per the title, has anyone considered or done any research?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post

Thanks.
What's the goal?
      06-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:

Thanks.
I assume you would like to replace the single piston calipers with 4 or 6 piston calipers. You may want to check the M3 blogs to see what people have done. I seem to recall some people customizing a bracket to run Porsche 4 piston calipers up front. Personally, I'd be concerns with messing up the brake bias. For the time and money involved, you're probably better off going to a Stoptech BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

With added brake cooling ducts (plus stainless steel brake lines, good fluid and track pads), I couldn't be happier with the performance of my brakes.

Other than "cosmetic" reasons, why are you considering different calipers?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
With added brake cooling ducts (plus stainless steel brake lines, good fluid and track pads), I couldn't be happier with the performance of my brakes.

Neil
+1

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well to be honest I have been running alcon now and AP's on other cars, my current other car currently runs the Alcon Advantage extreme 6 pot calliper and 365x34mm floating disc so have sort of got use to the braking characteristics they bring about plus my mate worked for Alcon until just recently so may have access to some spare callipers he has so thought I would ask. I currently run braided brake lines front and rear and uprated brake fluid but I thought I might get a bit more use out of the oem pad before ditching. To be honest I don't have any complaints with the oem brakes as they do their job well enough but it was just a general question really to see if anyone had looked at something similar or had any experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:

Neil
are you running the apex cooling ducts? I have my eye on those. do you have a writeup or pics of your install?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
With added brake cooling ducts (plus stainless steel brake lines, good fluid and track pads)

Neil
Neil, can you show us a photo of your brake cooling ducts? How did you construct them?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Neil, can you show us a photo of your brake cooling ducts? How did you construct them?
Used carbon fiber backing plates from Bimmerworld and ran 3" hose to grill. Tight fit and a lot of dremel action, but it works well.

I'll try to post up some pix over the weekend.

EDIT: Just posted pix in a new thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post12121126

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 06-08-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well to be honest I have been running alcon now and AP's on other cars, my current other car currently runs the Alcon Advantage extreme 6 pot calliper and 365x34mm floating disc so have sort of got use to the braking characteristics they bring about
Changing pads has a big impact on brake feel, I might start there. Changing to a different caliper makes sense if you don't have enough pad area or if the caliper is flexible, which leads to a soft pedal and limited ability to modulate on the limit. Barring these issues, however, it does nothing for brake fade, etc.

As you yourself have suggested there probably isn't much to be gained here- the 1M brakes feel almost as good as the 6 piston, 350mm Porsche brakes when driven back to back, and those are pretty much best in class.

If you feel the need, however, anything can be done and it's not that complex to make some adapters up. I put 6 piston PCCBs on my '69 911; a simple caliper swap is a breeze in comparison...
      06-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hi Shane ! My car is going in tomorrow to install the KW-DDC. At the same time, my installer, Performance-Store in Nivelles will use my car to design an adapter for the new BMW Performance calipers for the F30 3-series. As these HP calipers are multi-piston, and fixed instead of floating, they should add braking power and diffuse heat more easily. Performance-Store's goal is to provide, in the near future, a cost effective brake upgrade for 1M track drivers.
More details with them at: info@performance-store.com

Last edited by LotusBoy; 06-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: details
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Hi Shane ! My car is going in tomorrow to install the KW-DDC. At the same time, my installer, Performance-Store in Nivelles will use my car to design an adapter for the new BMW Performance calipers for the F30 3-series. As these HP calipers are multi-piston, and fixed instead of floating, they should add braking power and diffuse heat more easily. Performance-Store's goal is to provide, in the near future, a cost effective brake upgrade for 1M track drivers.
More details with them at: info@performance-store.com
Interesting......

Thanks mate, and I look froward to hearing your thoughts on your DDC equipped 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Sure ! I'll report on the DDC by next week-end at the latest. In the meantime, I got an estimate for the BMW Performance/ Brembo calipers conversion. The fronts are huge, with 4 pistons, and the backs are 2 pistons. According to Performance-Store, they should improve braking power noticeably, and fading as well. The BMW kit comes with road brake pads, so no weird noise, good feel and a lot more retardation. Only downside, the price: we are talking around 3000 euros. Seems quite an amount to me, but then a full Brembo kit with rotors is at least double that ...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
According to Performance-Store, they should improve braking power noticeably, and fading as well.
So they are claiming improved fade resistance without changing rotors and using OEM quality pads? What's the pad size vs OEM?

I have a feeling you're being taken for a ride. Fade resistance is dominated by the break disk, not the caliper.
      06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Apparently, a multi-piston caliper set-up would disipate heat easier, improving fade resistance...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apparently, a multi-piston caliper set-up would disipate heat easier, improving fade resistance...
This isn't true. I'm a fan of multi-piston calipers, and have designed a 6 piston setup for my 911. However one of their advantages is not better heat dissipation.

This is what BMW says about the brakes you are mounting, which is a caliper/ rotor pair from BMW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Performance Brake System
Improved thermal resistance thanks to larger, internally-ventilated, lightweight-construction sports brake discs
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...3822&perf=true

So even BMW makes clear the better heat dissipation is down to the 370mm disks, not the calipers.

This is not a new question. Kits to replace 70s era 2 piston 911 calipers with modern 4 piston Porsche Boxster monoblocks are available and popular in the early 911 community. However unless the rotors are also replaced, fade resistance does not improve despite the 30+ year more advanced calipers.