E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Any regrets not getting idrive?

06-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #23
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I've had an Acura TL and now my wife has a Lexus GX470. The Navi systems in both cars are much much better than Idrive. That said, I see why some people will order it and I've struggled with that decision myself. I think I'm leaning toward NOT getting it, as I really don't need the navi (commuter car primarily) and want to focus on the Ultimate Driving Machine as opposed to staring at the map all the time (which is what I find myself doing in the Lexus).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #24
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
I've had an Acura TL and now my wife has a Lexus GX470. The Navi systems in both cars are much much better than Idrive. That said, I see why some people will order it and I've struggled with that decision myself. I think I'm leaning toward NOT getting it, as I really don't need the navi (commuter car primarily) and want to focus on the Ultimate Driving Machine as opposed to staring at the map all the time (which is what I find myself doing in the Lexus).
I finally got to play around with the car right now. I am starting to figure out some short cuts in the idrive system. Like I don't have to hit menu and select what feature to use. In any menu, I can pull the knob towards what I want, the compass map, and it will jump to that section. I am starting to use it now and I am getting the hang out it.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:37 AM   #25
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
Ditto, I can never stop looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #26
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOO
Keep in mind, iDrive is not just the Navigation for $2K, although other manufactures charge at least a $1K for that option alone. Some of the features I enjoy:
-Visual representation of the PDC
-The ability to see the radio presets and scroll to the station I prefer.
-On board information
-Controlling vehicle settings (steering wheel controls, turn signal indicators, delayed lighting, door locks, etc)
-Climate controls and seat heating functions
-Telephone interface and number listings
-The service and engine status screens

There are several more options, but these are the most important to me. Of course, most of these you can still do on on your own without iDrive, but you also lose that gadget and wow factor that if offers. To me, it's well worth the $2K. Unless however you are on a budget and/or you will never use navigation.
Some good points!, but most of that can still be set up that way from the dealer. I hope I dont kick myself for not getting it. Oh well time will tell and I never keep a car too long anyway. If the 4dr M3 comes out my car is gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #27
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

No regrets not getting idrive. (Or what I call: "I don't drive, I play with gadgets"). The car still handles great without it. Spend the money on Sport Package and use the $600 left over to buy a Valentine One radar detector (a much more useful electronic gadget for your BMW) and some flowers for your wife!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #28
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

DerekS

In Canada, Nav/iDrive is a $2900 option. According to the dealer, very few E90 buyers are going for this option or for active steering.
In my opinion, the dash looks much cleaner without the nav screen. Come re-sale time, I doubt that Nav/iDrive will add much to the value - it might even detract. More electronic gizmos often mean more electronic problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #29
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS
In Canada, Nav/iDrive is a $2900 option. According to the dealer, very few E90 buyers are going for this option or for active steering.
In my opinion, the dash looks much cleaner without the nav screen. Come re-sale time, I doubt that Nav/iDrive will add much to the value - it might even detract. More electronic gizmos often mean more electronic problems.
This could very well be true. There are already reports of problems with iDrive, which I am sure BMW will sort out soon.

Don't get me wrong, I think Nav is cool and all, but I just didn't think it was something that I considered important when I thought about buying a BMW. A Lexus maybe, but not a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 12:33 AM   #30
Flash
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

In South AFrica you get two versions of idrive to chose from. The business system and the proffesional system. You can the chose the business system if you want to be alble to use all the settings and this system is cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #31
Amil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionnv
I love it. The methods to get to some of the options people complain about are sometimes werid. It basically allows you to change options that you would have to go to the dealer to change. I give it . Pricey yes, but I think it should worth while to have. Everybody that I showed it too said it is hoT! Esp on the navi the clouds move while you are drive on the perspective screen.
i didnt have a choice but i didnt care for drive anyway....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #32
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

I love the I-Drive idea, I just wish it would respond a little faster sometimes. As you get used to it you know how many turns and clicks to go to get to a function and sometimes it doesn't keep up with you.

I like that the caller ID pops up on the screen when you get an incoming phone call. Plus, although I never thought I would, I have used the NAV system a bunch of times. When I go out of town, I don't need directions. Just give me the address, I enter it in the NAV, and it gets me to the front door. Also, if I'm in an unfamiliar neighborhood, I can just zoom out and see which roads to take to get back to the main road. It's really convienent. Plus I like the fact the you can split the screen, and have the nav stuff on one side and the entertainment or phone stuff on the other side.

I can cruise down the road and say "CD Track 12" and it changes from the radio to the CD and then plays track 12. I can say "FM", then "Frequency 99.3" and it does it all for you. Then I can say "Dial Number", the car then mutes the radio and asks for the number and all I have to do is say "7271234 call" and it calls it for me. Then I just talk and listen through the car's speakers and mic. You don't have to yell even, just talk normally to command the vehicle. It's really awesome! Everything is hands free.

C'mon guys, my car listed at $47000.00. Is $2000 extra for IDrive really that painful? It's only 4%. Heck, the sales tax is more than that. And I think it adds more features and coolness to the car than most of the other options combined.

Granted there are BMW traditionalists who resist change. Like that magazine editor that doesn't like the active steering because it disconnects the driver from the road, and the a BMW is supposed to be about precision control and feel. blah blah. Well, I never owned a BMW before so it's all new to me, and the active steering is one of the reasons I liked the car. BMW is about whatever BMW wants to be about that lets them sell cars. And the IDrive and the active steering are both coolness factors that made pick the bimmer over the competition. And although I've never driven an older one, this new one handles the road better than most sports cars I've driven.

Did I just vent? Sorry...

-Dave C. '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #33
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Dave C. '06 330i

Thank you. Well said. Makes me feel even better about my choice of iDrive.

There is clearly a learning curve. And that's fine for an owner. But not fine for a journalist on a deadline. This no doubt drives some of the negative comments in the press.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #34
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

For anyone on the bubble about purchasing iDrive, take note in this thread and others, that most people that actually have iDrive enjoy it. Most that are against iDrive don't have it, never even tried it or tried it only during test drives. That should tell you something.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2005, 04:12 AM   #35
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Nav/Idrive definitly gives you SA (situational awareness). I love the fact that you can always see where you are geographically at all times. Even if you aren't lost or don't need to find a particualar address, it is nice to see exactly where you are. Think about all the times you wanted to explore a road on whim, but you were scared that the road didn't lead anywhere, or took you in the completely wrong direction.
Appreciate 0