BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #4973
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Ok, ok...I popped my car's track cherry last Friday. Took it to Pocono Raceway with the ACNA-NJ event. We did the IMSA 2.75 mile course. Car was a pleasant surprise. I've been tracking Quattro cars prior to this. I decided to take the training wheels off this time around. This was the primary reason for my decision to get a 135is. (Before Friday, the car had only been driven Greg-style - 1200 miles in the first 6 months of ownership.) I'll share pictures once they're available.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #4974
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Ok, ok...I popped my car's track cherry last Friday. Took it to Pocono Raceway with the ACNA-NJ event. We did the IMSA 2.75 mile course. Car was a pleasant surprise. I've been tracking Quattro cars prior to this. I decided to take the training wheels off this time around. This was the primary reason for my decision to get a 135is. (Before Friday, the car had only been driven Greg-style - 1200 miles in the first 6 months of ownership.) I'll share pictures once they're available.
Heyyyyy, I drive 5-6k a year on mine and am at 12k miles. I like that I've become everybody's low mileage whipping boy when there are certain people, who I shant name, cause I don't want to embarrass people like Chris or Scot, who have like 2k miles on theirs.

All joking aside though, sounds like you enjoyed tracking it and it did remarkably well? I don't remember if you have any suspension upgrades or other modifications like tires, etc. If not, alas, you may get the bug and want to start to tinker with it and have even more fun. I will say, the rear wheel drive just FEELS much different, even if not in a track environment compared to various quattro vehicles (which I've now had 2).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #4975
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Heyyyyy, I drive 5-6k a year on mine and am at 12k miles. I like that I've become everybody's low mileage whipping boy when there are certain people, who I shant name, cause I don't want to embarrass people like Chris or Scot, who have like 2k miles on theirs.

All joking aside though, sounds like you enjoyed tracking it and it did remarkably well? I don't remember if you have any suspension upgrades or other modifications like tires, etc. If not, alas, you may get the bug and want to start to tinker with it and have even more fun. I will say, the rear wheel drive just FEELS much different, even if not in a track environment compared to various quattro vehicles (which I've now had 2).
I used to participate in pretty modded vehicles. This time, I went in mostly stock. I picked up a set of 261M wheels. Had the wheels powdercoated and mounted with RE-11 (225/255) tires. Only other thing I changed were the brake pads and fluid. Used Castrol SRF and Proterfield R4 pads. I had to add shims to the pads at the last minute since there was a little play with the R4 even after I bedded them in.

Car handled the track well. Will probably get the M3 control arms next with coilovers. The car needed some camber and a slight drop (the gap needs to be eliminated).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #4976
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I used to participate in pretty modded vehicles. This time, I went in mostly stock. I picked up a set of 261M wheels. Had the wheels powdercoated and mounted with RE-11 (225/255) tires. Only other thing I changed were the brake pads and fluid. Used Castrol SRF and Proterfield R4 pads. I had to add shims to the pads at the last minute since there was a little play with the R4 even after I bedded them in.

Car handled the track well. Will probably get the M3 control arms next with coilovers. The car needed some camber and a slight drop (the gap needs to be eliminated).
Which coilovers are you looking at? You considering the M3 subframe bushings as well?

I will say, once you see the car dropped that 0.4-0.5", it looks so good and so aggressive and the wheel gap so perfect, it's hard to then look at our cars without them and not notice right away and focus on that giant wheel gap.

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on how it performs once you make those upgrades and then get it back out on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #4977
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Which coilovers are you looking at? You considering the M3 subframe bushings as well?

I will say, once you see the car dropped that 0.4-0.5", it looks so good and so aggressive and the wheel gap so perfect, it's hard to then look at our cars without them and not notice right away and focus on that giant wheel gap.

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on how it performs once you make those upgrades and then get it back out on the track.
I've had great experience with KW. My Q7 and Jettasportwagen are running V3 and V1, respectively. I've ran the PSS9 in my old S4. They did well but KWs have really converted me over.

I am deciding between V2 and V3 for the BMW. Yes, I am looking into the subframe bushings as well.

I'm considering signing up with one of the the two day events with PCA and maybe the Twilight event with ACNA-NJ again.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #4978
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I've had great experience with KW. My Q7 and Jettasportwagen are running V3 and V1, respectively. I've ran the PSS9 in my old S4. They did well but KWs have really converted me over.

I am deciding between V2 and V3 for the BMW. Yes, I am looking into the subframe bushings as well.

I'm considering signing up with one of the the two day events with PCA and maybe the Twilight event with ACNA-NJ again.
I did the first Twilight event at Poconos when hosted by IMG, it was good, not great. Driving at night is a good experience but the track (North configuration) is just so boring compared to what other options we have. Us East coast folks have it good when it comes to track selection. The folks who organized the event however did a great job, no incident and everyone was on schedule. My next event is Watkins in June and NJMP in July. Which PCA event are you looking at?

Shameless plug: buy my BMW PS shocks, should retain the stock like comfort while increasing handling from the better dampening (and pair them up with springs of your choice, I really liked Dinan). I'll hand deliver them at your next DE. But if you're set on getting coilovers, I agree in that KW v3's will perform better than PSS9's, it's just a lot of $$$.

PS: The one Poconos configuration I'm holding out for is Southeast but I've yet to see anything on motorsportreg.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-12-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #4979
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Bertil Roos uses that SE configuration. They're the only one so have seen use it. I know the ACNA-NJ did the double infield last year.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #4980
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Nice Greg!

I'm really enjoying my 135is - I can't wait to be able to take a road trip one of these days and push the car a little!

Quote:
Just to keep our thread alive. Forgive us father, for we have sinned. It has been 11 days since our last 135is post.

Enjoy some butts, while not really all that flattering, they are still butts.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #4981
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
lol.. bump!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #4982
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Shameless plug: buy my BMW PS shocks, should retain the stock like comfort while increasing handling from the better dampening (and pair them up with springs of your choice, I really liked Dinan). I'll hand deliver them at your next DE. But if you're set on getting coilovers, I agree in that KW v3's will perform better than PSS9's, it's just a lot of $$$.
I forgot to ask last time we met up! What are your thoughts on the MFactory Helical LSD? Why did you sell yours?
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #4983
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
I forgot to ask last time we met up! What are your thoughts on the MFactory Helical LSD? Why did you sell yours?
Unnecessary for street (for me). It was an impulse buy but I got fine 1.5 winters with just good snow tires. I initially justified the purchase because I thought I would auto-x the 1-er but that never happened. For daily driving, I never felt the need for it, e.g never had traction issues.

My 32 cents: anyone that tells you they notice a difference with a LSD on normal driving conditions is full of it, and is trying to justify their purchase via placebo effect.
      05-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #4984
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
^^ Although I will add if you're putting down serious power and experiencing traction issues, I could see the case for it. Maybe I was light on throttle but was never an issue for me.
      05-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #4985
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
^^ Although I will add if you're putting down serious power and experiencing traction issues, I could see the case for it. Maybe I was light on throttle but was never an issue for me.
Ya, I was going to say, Mr. Chunner over there is putting down some serious power with that dinan stage 3. I would tell him before he contemplates the LSD though to go with your performance suspension shocks, then buy some dinan springs and either the dinan or m3 front sway bar and put all that fun stuff on first. =)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #4986
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya, I was going to say, Mr. Chunner over there is putting down some serious power with that dinan stage 3. I would tell him before he contemplates the LSD though to go with your performance suspension shocks, then buy some dinan springs and either the dinan or m3 front sway bar and put all that fun stuff on first. =)
Well yea that's obvious, BMW PS shocks should be everyone's FIRST mod lmao.
      05-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #4987
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
OBBBBBBVIOUSLY! I mean, I don't even know why anyone would drive their cars without those shocks. What's the point even? O=)

I will say, the only crappy thing post suspension lowering, even though only 0.4" for me is that my fancy hex grip foam tire gel applicator thingy makes it really hard to do the tops of the tires now as it's kinda big and so my darn fingers are getting slammed on the top of the fender well thingy. =( Wish they made a slightly smaller one. Oh well. Don't want to cut the hell out of myself simply making my tires look pretty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #4988
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
OBBBBBBVIOUSLY! I mean, I don't even know why anyone would drive their cars without those shocks. What's the point even? O=)

I will say, the only crappy thing post suspension lowering, even though only 0.4" for me is that my fancy hex grip foam tire gel applicator thingy makes it really hard to do the tops of the tires now as it's kinda big and so my darn fingers are getting slammed on the top of the fender well thingy. =( Wish they made a slightly smaller one. Oh well. Don't want to cut the hell out of myself simply making my tires look pretty.
Why don't they make the PS to fit the convertible?!

As for your foam grip applicator thingy, first world problem...Wah!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #4989
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Why don't they make the PS to fit the convertible?!

As for your foam grip applicator thingy, first world problem...Wah!
You're lucky they don't, otherwise I'd be pestering you about it. =P Supposedly it's the spring rates that are the issues, not the dampers. Since they never made performance springs for the convertible, that's why you're out of luck. You could always talk to Harold and get koni yellows with proper swift r-spec springs with the optimal spring rates. =P

I know, I have serious major issues and drama. I can't imagine anyone's life being more difficult than getting their fingers all crammed and almost cut up from their foam grip tire gel applicator. The xanax helped get me through it, though I was touch and go for a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #4990
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Well, if you listened to me and got those tan euro driving [molesto]gloves, then no one would see your cut fingers while you are driving your 1/R with shiny tire walls.
      05-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #4991
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
Well, if you listened to me and got those tan euro driving [molesto]gloves, then no one would see your cut fingers while you are driving your 1/R with shiny tire walls.
Those are my MURDERING gloves! I put them on to strangle women, and then take my money back. O=) I don't want to get my fancy Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel on them!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #4992
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol.. thanks for the advice.... LSD and BMW PS Shocks are on my target list.... not that I need it... just for giggles....

PS: Thanks for the 1M Strut Bar, it looks bad ass!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #4993
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Lol.. thanks for the advice.... LSD and BMW PS Shocks are on my target list.... not that I need it... just for giggles....

PS: Thanks for the 1M Strut Bar, it looks bad ass!
Pff, who NEEDS any of these? They sure are fun though. Come hoin me and Rick on the mineral grey PS dark side. Once you feel that, the wind never blows so cold again.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #4994
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Went home at 8PM last night. The rain hasn't started and decided to take the "scenic route" home. Just when I got into the fun part of the roads and couldn't turn back, it started raining HARD. Seconds later, I could only see a bit past ~6ft in front of me even with high beams. Lightning flash left and right but the "thundering" noise the people hear is coming from the PE @ a low gear. I couldn't see the lines on the road and it was WET. Some people were pulling over to wait the rain out and cops did not bother following/chasing me even if I cruised by @ 40 in a 25mph straight road. In essence, I had all of the mountains to myself but it was stupid to drive hard in these conditions...and stupid I was! (Note: nothing terrible happened)

The car was amazingly stable when taking corners sensibly. It was a little scary when braking but it was probably just my mind playing games. Grip was definitely compromised as a bit of throttle input mid corner and I was doing slides. I have no experience with "slides" or "drifting" whatsoever but I corrected them easily. I didn't do anything crazy at most, they were only 1-2 second slides without too much turning angle (except for the first one). Of course, the first one was completely unintentional on a slow hairpin near a residential area. I'm not that stupid to pull stunts like this near civilian area/property. The second one was experimental because I couldn't believe it. The third one was intentional. The odd part was all my nannies were on and they didn't interfere AT ALL (this has happened a few times now). (Of course, I'm taking it slow when I'm nearing residential areas.) I also love how our cars decelerate quickly when "engine braking."

If I had this much fun on stock everything, I wonder how much more it would've been with a proper suspension and LSD. I am reminded again that this car truly is amazing (not that I've ever forgotten seeing how I take the "scenic route" home daily). Runflats still going strong @ 17036 miles except front outer shoulder wear lol.

EDIT: I dislike the way the car feels when taking a bumpy turn and the car just hops a few steps off. I use gloves when driving sometimes as it gives me 25hp/30lb.ft. This odd condition on my finger tips' skin acts up.

EDIT 2: I know, keep it at a track. But seriously, if a turn suggests X mph, I take it 5 more than that if there aren't any people in front. At residential areas, I slow down a lot.

Last edited by PopsnBurbles; 05-15-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0