BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

How many miles/kms does your dealer normally put on your car over a service?

They put 10 mile on mine last time and I thought it was nothing. This time they put ~60 on!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

Usually 10-15 miles after an alignment for me. I do most of the other servicing myself.

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiningnova View Post
They put 10 mile on mine last time and I thought it was nothing. This time they put ~60 on!
Outrageous, unless they first cleared it with you and explained why it was needed.

I'd voice your concerns to your service advisor and/or service manager.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

If they think there's a need to drive it they'll ask for permission first.
I'm an old and known customer, and they don't want me to take my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Outrageous, unless they first cleared it with you and explained why it was needed.

I'd voice your concerns to your service advisor and/or service manager.

Neil
Actually, the service advisor told me before I even figured they put that many miles on this time. He made sure to check because he remembered I asked him specifically how many miles he reckon they will be putting on...... He raised it with the service manager and they couldn't figure out why at the end. He even told me there was only 1 Gallon of Gas left when there should be just a little bit less than half a tank when I left it with them...... They gave me a full tank of gas and I was running out of time I had to get back to work anyway......
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, the service advisor told me before I even figured they put that many miles on this time. He made sure to check because he remembered I asked him specifically how many miles he reckon they will be putting on...... He raised it with the service manager and they couldn't figure out why at the end. He even told me there was only 1 Gallon of Gas left when there should be just a little bit less than half a tank when I left it with them...... They gave me a full tank of gas and I was running out of time I had to get back to work anyway......
Sure sounds like someone took it for a joyride.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

0.. I have an arrangement.. No test drives without me being present.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i e82

+1 for speaking with the service manager. Definitely sounds like they went for a joy ride
      02-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I always ask up front if the service being performed requires the tech to drive the car and make it clear to the advisor and the lot attendant that I have noted the milage when I dropped the car off.

Something as simple as making sure they know you're paying attention does wonders for your customer experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrossi View Post
+1 for speaking with the service manager. Definitely sounds like they went for a joy ride
Did that, didn't really accomplish anything really. Pondering if there's anything else to do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
I always ask up front if the service being performed requires the tech to drive the car and make it clear to the advisor and the lot attendant that I have noted the milage when I dropped the car off.

Something as simple as making sure they know you're paying attention does wonders for your customer experience.
I actually did that. That's how the service advisor figured the techs put that many miles on my car and reported it to me before I even saw the papers.

The papers I have here actually listed the exact mileage before and after the service.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did that, didn't really accomplish anything really. Pondering if there's anything else to do now.

I actually did that. That's how the service advisor figured the techs put that many miles on my car and reported it to me before I even saw the papers.

The papers I have here actually listed the exact mileage before and after the service.
Make sure that the service manager knows how unhappy you are and make sure you grade the service accordingly when you get the survey. Believe it or not, BMW NA takes these into account in determining which dealers are favored.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

They claim they couldn't figure out why? It's a straightforward question: someone there spent over an hour in your car, and there are very, very few reasons why that would be required.

If you found a 1M you could rent they would likely ask for ~$2 per mile and you'd cover the gas. It's not OK for someone to take any of our cars for a joy ride. It seems reasonable to ask for compensation if they can't give you a legitimate reason, I might ask for an extended warranty at dealer cost or something similar.
      02-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Take a pic of the dash as you exit the car and show it to the service advisor when they write-up the repair order. Better yet, email to the advisor, so they can print it and attach it to the repair order. I do take a pic of my odo.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiningnova
60 miles is a trip back home and back for a tech. Unacceptable.
Appreciate 0