08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #353
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbridger View Post
Totally agree but there is a reason. I'll write a bit more on BF about soon.
Only good reason is the engine will have too much torque for the DCT.
      08-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #354
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
hahah one could only dream
      08-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #355
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
The M3's V8 must have more torque than the I6 that they should use so. Even if it did have more torque, they would come up with a way for it to handle it. The 911 Turbo S has got PDK and it can take 700nm, the Veyron's box holds 1300nm, so i think that's not it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #356
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen-Dazs View Post
The M3's V8 must have more torque than the I6 that they should use so. Even if it did have more torque, they would come up with a way for it to handle it. The 911 Turbo S has got PDK and it can take 700nm, the Veyron's box holds 1300nm, so i think that's not it.
Because Bugatti and Porsche are reasonable comparisons here.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #357
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Some more details per bimmerfile.com:
  • The color is Valencia Orange Metallic, a new color exclusive to the 1M
  • The 1M will be manual transmission only What? NO DCT My heal-toeing will be quite rusty by the time she's available.
  • Those are the M3 Competition Package wheels Where are the brembos?
  • The front air intake is pretty similar to the M3's, but even more pronounced
  • The side skirts are also much like the M3's in shape
  • The side vents will be 'outrageous' compared to the other M cars
  • Some minor detail in the revealed area of the M1 will be changed. Bimmerfile suggests it's related to the headlights.
  • The rear valance will have vents above the exhaust that protrude out and are angled slightly inward (see here, courtesy of bimmerfile) this would be ugly potential
  • There's an oil-cooler in-front of the front left wheel (see here) Oil cooler, or "is" radiator?
  • The rear-view mirrors will look very familiar to E9X M3 owners nice

Best regards,
south
Nice M-diff.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #358
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

edit: nvm
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #359
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Only MANUAL SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #360
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There was a Prototype with M-DCT built for evaluation alongside the manuals , unfortunately because this is a (for M) a very cost effective project the costs threatened to spiral out of control in terms for the inclusion of an M DCT. There is also the time factor running against. Had we done this earlier then we would have had the time to accomodate.

With the introduction of the next generation 1er hatch less than twelve months away . The strategy is to take the 1M further away from the hatch so that both cars will be individually distinguished. or in simple form? The 1M is an M car .
We are looking at a life span of just over 2 years for the 1M , the only reason for the go-ahead was to produce something that can be made quickly by using off the shelf parts.

What we are looking at is since the first official video introduction is that serious interest is now over 10,000, it initially depends on the reaction and if there is demand. If BMW discover that there is demand for such a car then they might try to accomodate , it all depends on the outcome. For which there is no definite answer at this time.

Although because there is more time for the engineers , the next generation
1M which will arrive in 2014 will be engineered to accept both transmissions.
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #361
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Redline @7k.... that's a true M car :\

Someone needs to figure out a way to have higher redlines in FI cars while holding torque/hp to redline. I have a feeling the 1M won't even hold torque or hp to it's wimpy 7k redline btw.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #362
cheese on fried toast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 2000

far out looks amazing cant wait to see the rest of it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #363
eugegall
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

how does this work?

Current M3 Coupe base in the UK = £53.275 (or $82.683)
Current M3 Coupe base in the US = $58.400 (or £37.628)

Why do we have to pay so much more for it in the uk?

Last edited by eugegall; 08-29-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #364
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuff View Post
Redline @7k.... that's a true M car :\

Someone needs to figure out a way to have higher redlines in FI cars while holding torque/hp to redline. I have a feeling the 1M won't even hold torque or hp to it's wimpy 7k redline btw.
MP4-12C - it will cost multiple times of the 1///M.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #365
bz888
Rep
Drives: Audi/BMW

Hey Guys. Been watching from the Sidelines for a while!! Great site.

Unfortunately, the NO DCT news is extremely disappointing!
If this is true I WILL CANCEL MY ORDER and refund deposit!

I've owned many cars over the years from S2000, WRXs to Audi R8's and 2 M3s. I spend at least one weekend a month club racing.

The 1M was going to be my club racer. BMW has been promoting it as such, time and time again. However, they NOW decide that Club Racers don't need DCT and the M in motorsport is for Manual only.

Well, let's be honest, when they released the first SMG M3 many years ago the marketing pitch was "SMG = Best for Track" Blah Blah Blah

Now with the 1M they decide a "Club Racer" doesn't warrant an Sequential gearbox.

Just goes to show BMW really don't care about their market. They will change their argument and marketing to suit. It's all about the $$$.

The poll above shows that about 20-30% of the users of this site will cancel their order if there is NO DCT. I suspect this proportion will be even higher out there in the "NON ENTHUSIAST" market.

So, if BMW are happy to lose 30-50% off the initial orders, then good for them!

NO DCT mean's I'm out. The 1M could have been AWESOME. But, now it seems it's just a rush job and they are taking some shortcuts.

Sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #366
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

this car is so packed with vents and creases it might almost be too much
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #367
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
well no DCT means I'll be looking elsewhere, everything else about the car is exactly what I'm looking for... quite the dissappointment
Same here

Living in London and needing a one-size fits all uses car, I was counting on DCT as well, and the ///M DCT with extra modes as in the M3, so at the weekend on a track the advantage of DCT comes to the fore, and in the week stuck on the M25 or in London I can leave it in 'auto' mode and have a stress free drive.

I was hoping for 1M with ///DCT and M3 style competition package as my holy grail car.
BMW ///M can't seem to deliever this yet they are happy to build pointless ///M SUV's and even more pointless cabrio ///M cars.

Oh well.....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #368
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Same here

Living in London and needing a one-size fits all uses car, I was counting on DCT as well, and the ///M DCT with extra modes as in the M3, so at the weekend on a track the advantage of DCT comes to the fore, and in the week stuck on the M25 or in London I can leave it in 'auto' mode and have a stress free drive.

I was hoping for 1M with ///DCT and M3 style competition package as my holy grail car.
BMW ///M can't seem to deliever this yet they are happy to build pointless ///M SUV's and even more pointless cabrio ///M cars.

Oh well.....

I absolutely love this post!

Because this is the sort of person who really deserves to have their choice taken away from them. They only see their own wants and everything else is 'pointless'. Really is a case of just-desserts, thank you, you just made my morning!

The rest of the DCT guys I do feel bad for though. Some of you do sound genuinely nice and you really have a purpose for needing DCT.
      08-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #369
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post

Because this is the sort of person who really deserves to have their choice taken away from them. They only see their own wants and everything else is 'pointless'. Really is a case of just-desserts, thank you, you just made my morning!

The rest of the DCT guys I do feel bad for though. Some of you do sound genuinely nice and you really have a purpose for needing DCT.
i Agree..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #370
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post

I remember when the ///M stood for MOTORSPORT and homolgation specials not 'lets stick a ///M badge onto a flexible cabrio shell or onto some ludicrous SUV' monstrosity.

I actually wanted to use an ///M car for comptetive motorsport, not to pose with, but it seems I'm in the minority here...... and indicative of what's happened with the ///M brand.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #371
Lord_Goda
Rep
Drives: M3

I've been following this thread with great interest, the 1M looks a compelling car.

However, the potential lack of an automated gearbox option would be a let down. This sort of car could make an ideal daily car for me, I'm not a massive fan of turbocharged engines in performance vehicles but they have drastically improved since my experiences with laggy Audis, so I'm prepared to live with that, but for me the optimal solution for gear selection is an automated clutch, it's 2010 after all!

I can understand those of you ( in the USA where an auto box is the default for personal transport, right??) will culturally/historically equate a 3 pedaled manual with performance cars, but here in Europe after 20 years of self selecting in all sorts of car (from Porsches to aging sh*t box hatchbacks) I just think its an old fashioned (slower and less practical) solution.

So fingers crossed BMW accommodate all tastes, and if they don't no matter ! I still have my SMG,N/A equipped CSL

Last edited by Lord_Goda; 08-29-2010 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #372
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:

I remember when the ///M stood for MOTORSPORT and homolgation specials not 'lets stick a ///M badge onto a flexible cabrio shell or onto some ludicrous SUV' monstrosity.

I actually wanted to use an ///M car for comptetive motorsport, not to pose with, but it seems I'm in the minority here...... and indicative of what's happened with the ///M brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kay Segler
The dogmas are gone
The M3 that won the 24hr Nurburgring wasn't an M3. It was an M3 GT2 built by M.

Give me a shout if cryptic isn't your bag, baby.
      08-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #373
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
MP4-12C - it will cost multiple times of the 1///M.
I've been lucky enough to drive a McLaren F1... I won't tarnish it by driving an Mp4
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #374
BLITZ
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E34 525i M-Technik

Quote:

You do know there was a E30 M3 convertible?