BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Tyre and Rim insurance.

Hey guys,

Did a quick search of the forum and only found one thread about this, but wasn't much help.

I have just received a warning that one of my tyres are 'flat' and did a pressure test and its both my rear tyres which seems to have a punctures, although both are fairly well worn.

So the question is, is it possible to get my tyres swapped for non RFT? And would it be and issue that my tyres are well worn? I called Beaurepairs and they weren't helpful at all, saying that they wont swap them as they are then liable if I get a flat or some bull crap.

I also called Allianz and was told that the tyre department isn't open weekends.

Any help/experience with this would be great, otherwise I'll just go buy some tyres my self.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Tyre and Rim insurance is such a ripoff...

If you read through your PDS you will find that they have given themselves SO MANY outs that allow them to deny your claim.

I had it on my last car and they will claim "normal wear and tear" if at all possible. They also don't cover damage to rims unless it is proven that the rim is unroadworthy... I actually had a BMW SA tell me that if I curbed a rim the I should back up and do it again to make sure it's well and truly stuffed.

The only time you will have success is if either:

a) Your tyre explodes as you are driving out of the dealership after purchasing the car.
b) Your rim cracks in half.

And I'm pretty damn sure you won't get them to pay for anything other than exact replacements that meet OEM standards if you do make a successful claim...

Good luck though. I hope I'm wrong...
      12-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep

That sucks, I was sucked into getting it when I got the car. If I can't make a claim I might see if I can get rid of it.

Thanks tho anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakezilla View Post
That sucks, I was sucked into getting it when I got the car. If I can't make a claim I might see if I can get rid of it.

Thanks tho anyway.
Same thing happened to me with the 135i...

When I bought the ///M they tried again and I just laughed at them... You might be able to get a pro-rata refund as the policy is normally for the term of your loan...

I was lucky... They initially bundled mine into the loan and then I got a letter 6 months later saying that it was against the law for them to do that so they refunded the cost directly into the loan (as a payment) and I got to keep the insurance for free.

Not that it did me any good...
      12-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep

Haha, well at least you didn't have to pay for it I guess.

From what I have read on other forums it seems pretty useless unless as you say, you smash your rim or tear a hole in your tyre..

Last edited by Cakezilla; 12-29-2013 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i was talking to an owner who has an F30, and he has had 2 new pirelli RFT's due to punctures in 6 months (his car is pretty much brand new though?) with this insurance?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry Cake but you have no chance. Tyre and Rim Insurance.... its like going full retard at the point of sale, the filthy scum try it on right when your really enjoying the purchase of your car. After buying a few expensive cars i now laugh in their general direction, blow my nose at them, then fart loudly, etc.. but never bought the tyre and rim insurance, NEVER.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I wouldn't say "no chance" but I'd equate Tyre and Rim Insurance with that "Insurance" you get with expensive "Surge Protector" Power Boards...

Pretty sure not one of those has ever paid out...

Snake Oil...
      12-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

My experience with the BMW tyre and rim insurance has been completely different. Perhaps it is luck with your assessor?

I have had 2 separate punctures replaced (I went from RFT to non RFT) - no issues whatsoever. I did however provide a raft of information, pictures etc to the insurer.

Agreed, the PDS is quite restrictive on Rims but it's not like they are trying to scam you - it's written into the PDS.. If i recall, the rim has to be unroadworthy, i.e. broken etc before they replace it.

I don't have the insurance anymore as it only was applicable for 3 years on my new car (now 5 years old).

If i calculate the cost of the insurance to the amount i claimed, it was worth the exercise.

If you are looking to get insurance for your rims, then don't bother - not sure how often rims break these days based on day to day driving. If you are looking for coverage on tyres (punctures etc), then well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep

I'm keen to get away from the RFT's but was told by 2 tyre shops it will void my warranty, which seems like a load of bull as many people on here seem to run them and I have heard no mention of voided warranty.

When you swapped to Normal Radial tyres were they of the equivalent value to your original tyres?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I know of at least one person who's had the dealer try to blame non-RFT tyres for a fault and deny warranty...

He laughed at them and they let it go pretty quickly.

No way getting rid of the RFTs voids warranty. Might have an effect on your roadside assist with relation to flats etc but that's about it.. Regardless of what people might try to say...
      12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakezilla View Post
I'm keen to get away from the RFT's but was told by 2 tyre shops it will void my warranty, which seems like a load of bull as many people on here seem to run them and I have heard no mention of voided warranty.

When you swapped to Normal Radial tyres were they of the equivalent value to your original tyres?
No, they were of lesser value - which i'm sure the insurer were happy with. Normal tyre was around 300-400 per tyre whereas if i claimed for a RFT, it would have been 700-800.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep

So I got some new tyres and it appears that they have changed the valves as well which means my RF indicator is coming up constantly now.

Would they have needed to changed them, as I understand the RF sensor is attached to the valve?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
I thought that Aus 1ers don't have the RF sensors?
It has a warning which tells you if your tyre is flat, but that is based on how fast an individual wheel/tyre is spinning compared to the other wheels/tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep

Wait, maybe I'm just a tad retarded and didn't reset it properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #16
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

i would check the pressures and then reset again. It is not uncommon for a tyre shop to have one tyre at 45PSI and the others at 35
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0