BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

What a nightmare, to have a nicely functioning car and have BMW updates cut your balls off.

I have been dreading taking my car in for all the recalls just for this specific reason. I have the BMW performance pack and the car has been running great since day one and with zero issues for 21K miles. Does anyone know if you can agree to certain upgrades and negotiate to decline the others? What is the software upgrade related to..the HPFP replacement??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #24
rudyv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Can anyone confirm they were offered the BMW Performance Pack for free because of the reduced performance after the new software?

Also, was this just the software flash, or the flash and the hardware?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #25
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport EB-II

I have been offered the BMW Performance Power Kit (Tune, Intake, Cooling Parts). The car will be picked up on Wed and the dealer will be taking the car to a dyno in its stock stage, then back to dealer to install parts and tune flash, then back to the dyno. I get the car back Thursday evening pending the expected increases are proven by Dyno. This will all happen in the same day and same dyno to limit any variables.

They are installing this package (below) for no cost to me. I agree with the above-mentioned lack of throttle response post software update. I think this is the largest difference in the cars characteristics. The turbos pull hard but not as snappy. After tests on the wastegate, pressures, leaks, etc (PUMA and FASTA Tests) with BMW NA, no solution was found and the BMW Performance Power Kit was offered. I have confirmed in writing that I will be getting the entire package:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ePowerKit.aspx

It has been confirmed that everything in this kit will be installed and I will make sure to check everything. I am taking pictures of my engine bay prior to pickup!

Anyone have any experience with this powerkit? Anyone specifically on the N54 135i?

PS: Thank you to anyone here who is or has served in our country's military. I have always been proud to be an American but today ROCKS
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #26
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone have the performance power kit? I am getting this tomorrow and would love some feedback. I understand it doesn't add as much power as a jb4 or Cobb but I think it's just what I am looking for. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Rico135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the PPK. The increases are nice. If you get an after market tune the additional cooling will be very beneficial. Oh and the new bigger fan is LOUD. So don't be alarmed.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Thumbs down Don't get SIB 13-09-10 unless you have to!

2 Days ago, I got the HPFP recall and software update (SIB 13-09-10) and 446 pump.

All I can say is I have the exact same problem. The throttle response is definitely remapped (even with ~250 miles of relearn), but even with the remap, if I really put my foot into it, I still get nowhere near the boost that I used to.

Car is a 2010 Step.

This is my third turbo car, so I can understand what's going on here, and they definitely remapped the wastegate for substantially less boost on the lower end.

If you have not done the hpfp recall, and your pump is fine (mine was) I would strongly advise against getting the update. The engine may idle slightly better (It wasn't bad before) but it's not worth it. The issue is most definitely software, because there are no idle fluctuations, no vacuum leak sounds, and the car does have (some) boost, so I know the wastegates are working.

Gone are the days where I could "squirt" in/out of traffic when a short opportunity arose to get into the next lane. I used to be able to do that with approximately 25-45% throttle. Today I tried it at about 80-100% throttle (But not hitting the kickdown switch) and despite the tranny dropping one gear, and the engine revving crazy, the torque just wasn't there.

I've already complained to BMW NA, but this is rediculous. I think I'm going to give my local dealer a call as well. I shouldn't have to buy a piggyback or reflash the computer just to get what I already had.
      05-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #29
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Got the new HPFP and Software, and to me, it seems a tad quicker. Many here have noticed that.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
A couple months ago I had my car re-programmed as part of the recall. I posted a thread that the original dealer had given me the wrong version of software and my Ipod was not working properly. With this software, the car felt very strong and very snappy. I thought the new engine program must be even better. Then when my issue (ipod issue) was finally resolved by another dealer, and the car was reprogrammed again, it felt totally sluggish like described here. I have a boost gauge, and it was regularly hitting 7-9 psi peak boost, so the boost seemed normall. The throttle response is what seems to be really choked. I scanned for codes and found none.

Now I just had my HPFP replaced a few days ago (no programming) as part of the recall. I didn't want to do it since mine has been fine, but the dealer said it was required and I didn't feel like arguing. After coming out of the lot, the car feels great however. I'm boosting up to 9.3 psi, so even the boost seems higher. I'm skeptical that only the pump was changed and not the program, but it seems much improved now.

To the OP, sounds like the dealer is at least trying to get it fixed, and sometimes I think the service dept hands are tied until they get approvals from BMW. Installing the power kit free of charge sounds like a great deal UNLESS there actually is a mechanical problem with the car that they cannot diagnose. Now instead of a slow 135i, you will have a slow 135i with PPK. Good luck!

Tim
      05-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #31
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

I had mine done when I bought my car used w 23k odd miles. It was noticeably faster in stock form, and felt the same before/after with the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #32
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

How many miles do you have?

I wonder how many of you guys complaining about decrease in performance have any idea of how much carbon build up these engines can produce in as little as 40K miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have 17,000 miles. I think the problem is that the new software (SIB13-09-10) decreases throttle response and makes the car much different to drive. I haven't driven the car since the BMW Performance Power Kit install. I am out of the country for business and cannot wait until next week. I will keep you all posted.

For the record, I need nothing more than what the car was when I purchased it. How is BMW getting away with changing the characteristics of the car without paying us for detuning the cars ultimate performance. I think this is ridiculous and although I am getting the BMW PPK, I am not 100% sure I will be as happy?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #34
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

9000 miles here. If there is a sufficient valve deposit issues this early, then BMW needs to buy me a new head.

The throttle calibration is definitely changed, but even if you disregard throttle pedal percentage, you still can't get the same tq at the same rpm. I've got a step, so I've tried it in drive (it downshifts before I can get the same tq in "D" and "DS") so I hold the gear constant using the manual gear selection. No dice. I'd have to guess it's about 20-30 ft pounds less torque, even if I mash the pedal to the floor.
      06-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #35
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHazelrigg View Post
The car will be picked up on Wed and the dealer will be taking the car to a dyno in its stock stage, then back to dealer to install parts and tune flash, then back to the dyno. I get the car back Thursday evening pending the expected increases are proven by Dyno. This will all happen in the same day and same dyno to limit any variables.

Did you get the PPK installed along with before-after dynos?
      06-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #36
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

Did you get the PPK installed along with before-after dynos?
I would love to see the performance gains before and after with the PPK.

Post them or scan them if you can! I would greatly appreciate it :]
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
9000 miles here. If there is a sufficient valve deposit issues this early, then BMW needs to buy me a new head.

The throttle calibration is definitely changed, but even if you disregard throttle pedal percentage, you still can't get the same tq at the same rpm. I've got a step, so I've tried it in drive (it downshifts before I can get the same tq in "D" and "DS") so I hold the gear constant using the manual gear selection. No dice. I'd have to guess it's about 20-30 ft pounds less torque, even if I mash the pedal to the floor.
+1. I saw the same decrease in performance too with my SW update. I have a 2010 6MT though. It seemed to me that before I could squirk thru traffic just using barely a 1/4 throttle, post SW update it takes atleast 1/2 throttle for the same push in the backside. This is borderline criminal what BMW is doing to our performance cars.

Well... I knew I would just get the run around with BMW... that is why I went with a tune. I would suggest the OP to also get one. It really is the only way to get back your old car's performance back.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
turtleking
Rep
Drives: 2003 Nissan 350Z Performance

i might be a little late to the party but i've had the same issue with random decreases in power. i do have aftermarket intakes that they keep blaming the issue on. "loose hose clamp" was the first diagnosis. "diverter hose popped off" was the second...

each time, i pop open the hood and check the connections but everything's fine. had a bmw tech buddy check it out and he suspects it's a faulty waste gate that gets stuck open. would make sense since the first time this happened i did get a 30FF code which is "low turbo pressure exhaust side."

i'm thinkin the shop knows exactly what's wrong but instead of replacing the faulty waste gate, they just poke it back closed and charge me for the work, blaming my intakes so it's not covered under warranty...
Appreciate 0