BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
mogli882
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Question Hoping to buy a 1M this weekend - advice please?

I am looking to finalise on a BMW 1M this weekend (UK), its approved used, has very very low mileage and is well specified (with Nav, HK etc). Its in V.O

I have a few questions:

1. Is there anything I should look out for or check in particular?
2. What are your general thoughts on the approved used scheme, would it be right of me to expect good quality paintwork, what are your thoughts on stone chips? I personally am not a fan of touch up pens and expect it to have been painted correctly...but is that too much to ask?
3. General thoughts on ownership & running costs?

Any other advice or information would be much appreciated

Also, I am very tempted to get the wheels painted Titanium Grey or Gun Metal - I think someone from this forum (i saw the pics on PH) has had it done...estimated cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli882 View Post
I am looking to finalise on a BMW 1M this weekend (UK), its approved used, has very very low mileage and is well specified (with Nav, HK etc). Its in V.O

I have a few questions:

1. Is there anything I should look out for or check in particular?
2. What are your general thoughts on the approved used scheme, would it be right of me to expect good quality paintwork, what are your thoughts on stone chips? I personally am not a fan of touch up pens and expect it to have been painted correctly...but is that too much to ask?
3. General thoughts on ownership & running costs?

Any other advice or information would be much appreciated

Also, I am very tempted to get the wheels painted Titanium Grey or Gun Metal - I think someone from this forum (i saw the pics on PH) has had it done...estimated cost?
1 & 2. I am sure others may jump onto this, but I dont really think so. You could try and inquire with the dealer if they know at all how it was used by the previous owner (track etc.) but I imagine that wouldn't know. Depending on mileage, where drive, etc. (you didn't state how much, just "low") do not be surprised if there are some small rock chips on the rear fender flares and the lower/front part of the doors. Angles facing the front tires are not rock road friendly Again this will be 100% hit or miss depending on the factors mentioned.

3. No. Enjoy the thing! It should still have its factory warranty & maintenance so you should be care free cost wise for the next several years. My M is by far the most enjoyable to drive vehicle I have every owned. Like a beautiful model it puts a huge smile on my face accompanied by an urge to get out and spend more time with her every time I go near it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
1 & 2. I am sure others may jump onto this, but I dont really think so. You could try and inquire with the dealer if they know at all how it was used by the previous owner (track etc.) but I imagine that wouldn't know. Depending on mileage, where drive, etc. (you didn't state how much, just "low") do not be surprised if there are some small rock chips on the rear fender flares and the lower/front part of the doors. Angles facing the front tires are not rock road friendly Again this will be 100% hit or miss depending on the factors mentioned.

3. No. Enjoy the thing! It should still have its factory warranty & maintenance so you should be care free cost wise for the next several years. My M is by far the most enjoyable to drive vehicle I have every owned. Like a beautiful model it puts a huge smile on my face accompanied by an urge to get out and spend more time with her every time I go near it.

Thanks - to provide more info, the car has 1.5k on it - it was bought by an elderly gentleman who fell unfortunately fell ill (poor chap ) and was therefore unable to drive. The dealer tells me it has never been tracked, though like you say you never really know. Your right the mileage in combination with the warranty makes its a very attractive option, it should limit the cost of any consumables for a while at least.

I am really excited - just want to make sure that 1M haze doesnt take over on inspection / completion!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Mini B
Australia
Rep
Drives: M1 Coupe BSM

Heya mogli,

I'm normally a conservative person who thinks everything through (as I did with my 1M purchase) but I've got just two words for you my friend:

Do It!

It's an amazing little car - not without a few foibles, but they're minor (e.g. little issues with the interior that I have) and pale into total, utter insignificance when compared with the quality of the chassis and drivetrain combination - not to mention the sheer enjoyment of it all.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks - to provide more info, the car has 1.5k on it - it was bought by an elderly gentleman who fell unfortunately fell ill (poor chap ) and was therefore unable to drive. The dealer tells me it has never been tracked, though like you say you never really know. Your right the mileage in combination with the warranty makes its a very attractive option, it should limit the cost of any consumables for a while at least.

I am really excited - just want to make sure that 1M haze doesnt take over on inspection / completion!
Seriously???

Unless this old dude was the king of beating on new cars this thing should look like it came out of the showroom!!! sheesh lol the way you described your concerns etc. I was expecting at least 8-16k miles. LOL :bellyrol:

Be sure to keep yourself in check at delivery and inspect it with a white glove and a keen eye.... I know from experience it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to let the red 1M mist take over and drug your senses to the bone!!

Yes.... I'm Firechicken and I am a 1Addict

Last edited by firechicken99; 09-26-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini B View Post
Heya mogli,

I'm normally a conservative person who thinks everything through (as I did with my 1M purchase) but I've got just two words for you my friend:

Do It!

It's an amazing little car - not without a few foibles, but they're minor (e.g. little issues with the interior that I have) and pale into total, utter insignificance when compared with the quality of the chassis and drivetrain combination - not to mention the sheer enjoyment of it all.

Good luck

Thanks, all the reviews I have read and watched I cant wait - must be careful on the way home (well within reason!!)!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Seriously???

Unless this old dude was the king of beating on new cars this thing should look like it came out of the showroom!!! sheesh lol the way you described your concerns etc. I was expecting at least 8-16k miles. LOL :bellyrol:

Be sure to keep yourself in check at delivery and inspect it with a white glove and a keen eye.... I know from experience it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to let the red 1M mist take over and drug your senses to the bone!!

Yes.... I am a 1Addict
Yeah I know what you mean...with so few miles it should be mint! The dealer told me it has a couple of chips on it which have been touched up...I want to make sure they havent skimped on paintwork because it has so few miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe check the perspective car's registration papers...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749091
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean...with so few miles it should be mint! The dealer told me it has a couple of chips on it which have been touched up...I want to make sure they havent skimped on paintwork because it has so few miles on it.
I would imagine something similar to Dr. Colorchip or the BMW chip touch up. Done properly these touch up kits are GREAT so unless the person touching this up was poorly skilled, it should be about as good as you can get for touch ups. I mean you cant expect panels to be repainted on the count of tiny chips

There are threads about the dr colorchip and they really do a great job with paint matching and doing what a touch up is intended to do, protect the material beneath the paint. Remember, touch ups can be done to "look good" but thats really not their purpose
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe check the perspective car's registration papers...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749091
Definitely!! And interested read!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
mogli882
Rep

I have been reading that thread it has had a private plate since new - which has now been removed and a standard plate put on it. Its also not on the list shared by poster on the other thread (which was really informative as a number of the cars for sale were on that list).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeywadey View Post
Hope you enjoy the car. loving mine.
Thanks chap
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Love mine...and the way your OP started, I also was expecting a car with 10K on it...you'll be fine!

As Artemis said "The 1M can be snappy in treacherous road conditions (and Autumn just kicked off). Do leave all the nannies on/active at this stage - resist the Siren call of "MDM mode" and "DSC off" (you will have plenty of occasions in the future to toy with those, as well as with extra power mods). No offence, but only common sense: got to learn to walk properly before considering running."

That's the best advise I could also give you!
      09-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Welcome mate,

Hope the purchase goes well. Agree with all above re stone chips with that mileage you might expect 3-4 max on the frontal area. I'd be suprised if you had much more than that, and no big defects. I have lots of tiny specs on the front of the rear arches.

Running cost wise I get about 27-28mpg with normal driving Personal best is about 34mpg or 9.6mpg depending on perspective. Worth checking if the car comes already with the Service Inclusive Package. You get the free servicing for 5 years or 60,000 miles. For brake wear, go into the Nav Menu - Vehicle Information, look for Car Status in the menus. It will tell you when oil, brakes and next service are due. Should be 15k miles for service, approx 25k miles for brakes. Much less than that and it would suggest its been thrashed!

Either way they are bloody tough cars so enjoy! With the DTC fully on! You may spin in MDM, you will spin with it all off.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Love mine...and the way your OP started, I also was expecting a car with 10K on it...you'll be fine!

As Artemis said "The 1M can be snappy in treacherous road conditions (and Autumn just kicked off). Do leave all the nannies on/active at this stage - resist the Siren call of "MDM mode" and "DSC off" (you will have plenty of occasions in the future to toy with those, as well as with extra power mods). No offence, but only common sense: got to learn to walk properly before considering running."

That's the best advise I could also give you!
Thanks - your right, I do plan on taking it easy until I get used to the feel of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Welcome mate,

Hope the purchase goes well. Agree with all above re stone chips with that mileage you might expect 3-4 max on the frontal area. I'd be suprised if you had much more than that, and no big defects. I have lots of tiny specs on the front of the rear arches.

Running cost wise I get about 27-28mpg with normal driving Personal best is about 34mpg or 9.6mpg depending on perspective. Worth checking if the car comes already with the Service Inclusive Package. You get the free servicing for 5 years or 60,000 miles. For brake wear, go into the Nav Menu - Vehicle Information, look for Car Status in the menus. It will tell you when oil, brakes and next service are due. Should be 15k miles for service, approx 25k miles for brakes. Much less than that and it would suggest its been thrashed!

Either way they are bloody tough cars so enjoy! With the DTC fully on! You may spin in MDM, you will spin with it all off.
Good tips - thanks dealer confirmed yesterday that it has got Service Inclusive which should limit my running costs to tyres and breaks (hopefully!).

Loving the MPG range I just sold my Cayman S which was also pretty good on fuel (late 20s to early 30s) with normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Had an test drive Cayman S, it's was a lot more forgiving on the limit!

One problem you might notice is that the 1M has less review mirror presence than that Porsche. When I had that people moved out of the way. No one seems to notice the little M.

You have gone for an VO one so maybe it'll be alright?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
mogli882
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Had an test drive Cayman S, it's was a lot more forgiving on the limit!

One problem you might notice is that the 1M has less review mirror presence than that Porsche. When I had that people moved out of the way. No one seems to notice the little M.

You have gone for an VO one so maybe it'll be alright?
Agree re the Cayman, but when they lose traction its like something has snapped, though thats similar in most mid engined cars I think. But it was like a very fast go kart!

Time for a change and I am really excited about the 1M - tis in VO so hopefully people will move and / or see me.

My other concern is the OBD issue - I am trying to hurry up my dealer re a fix but I guess there waiting for BMW to deliver one. Have you had any joy with BMW? I am considering picking up a Disklok - I am of the opinion that if someone really wants your car they will take it, but a deterrent or something that delays the process (and in turn sets off the alarm) should help.

Either that or I am going to start removing fuses at night
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Ask whether the clutch has been replaced just before you take delivery. I remember a Belgian guy testing one of the first 1M loaners last year. He reported that the clutch was already slipping despite the car having clocked only a few K kms. Test drive = putting to the test what the car is capable of. Decent car journalists do not perform wild stuff with a cold engine, so the story goes.

See also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
The two 1M's that were used in the M Power Tour here in Germany during the last two months both needed multiple clutch replacements (I can vouch for at least two per car) after less than 1.000km per car.
Two clutches were killed on the Autobahn. Max. fifth gear, shift to sixth and floor the accelerator before the clutch has been completely released. 500nm take care of the rest. On one car, not only the clutch but both clutch and flywheel were torn apart. IMHO clear noob mistakes that had nothing to do with the clutch layout of the 1M.
If your dealer reassures you that the particular 1M is definitely in mint condition and that you should not worry at all about the risk of higher wear and tear compared to non-loaner cars, then he should not be reluctant to provide a four year warranty. If he's not willing to extend the warranty, his 'mint condition' statement would be less convincing for me: "caveat emptor".
      09-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeywadey View Post
I currently have a disklock on my car but later I'll be removing a couple of wires from the plug/port relating to canbus. I also want a small sticker to alert to help stop the feckers from smashing the window in the first place!
There is a chance that a sticker might work against its purpose. It can provoke ill intentioned people who are usually not extremely gentle creatures (when they face frustration) to smash more than just one window.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
There is a chance that a sticker might work against its purpose. It can provoke ill intentioned people who are usually not extremely gentle creatures (when they face frustration) to smash more than just one window.
+1

Could be as counter-productive as parking too wide on a parking lot spot to avoid door dings (I mean, taking up more than just one parking spot). That might induce/provoke some bad spirited folks to key your car or slash a tire.

Last edited by Artemis; 09-29-2012 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
mogli882
Rep

Thanks for all the advice - I used it all

Got the car! Had a couple of stone chips on the front end which were fixed, otherwise in perfect condition. Been driving it all weekend a great laugh - will post some detailed thoughts later.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #22
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Great to hear mate, congrats on the purchase....

Now try and resist the urge to drive it, you wont win
Appreciate 0